Holy smoke

Buzzer

Reaction score
Left the car into the garage for a camshaft seal to be fitted a d some ate blue brake fluid, got 200 metres down the road and noticed a big puff of white smoke out the back, pulled into a petrol station 1-2 miles down the road and let it heat up. Thought that some oil went changing the seal might be burning away etc. pulled out of the station and smoked billowed out the back as soon as it got near 3k revs. Back into the garage and confirmed a blown turbo!
Sound lads in the garage sourced a brand new turbo for less than the cost of a reconditioned one.
Is a blown turbo on a S3 becoming more common nowadays with the cars becoming older.
Anything else worth doing whilst getting this work done, like water, fuel pumps etc

Brand new turbo for less than a recon one?
You mean an eBay copy. Please do not fit that if that's the case, there's a reason it was cheaper than a recon!

i second that.. just get a proper one mate.. you dont want to pay labour twice just remember that...

No, brand new original turbo. Upgrade that never happened on a golf.

Love it how people jump the gun. :p
At least when its fitted you wont have turbo problems for another 10 years or so.

Just got a phone call from the garage now to inform me that the turbo is ok, a little but of play in it but nothing serious,and left it running for a while and no smoke, a small test drive and no smoke and pulling great in the gears!
Not the phone call I was expecting, but a welcome one. Think I'll still buy the turbo at that price too

Ok, well that's a bargin then if it's genuine,

I guess they over filled the oil then for it to smoke badly.