Honest opinions on DSG only

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
I currently have an S3 Saloon, bought because I could opt for a Manual gearbox. Main reason why I didn't buy the last RS3 (No manual)

Now that the RS3 Saloon will soon be available to order, it's doing my head in. I want to order one badly, but scared that after a few weeks of ownership, the lack of manual interaction will make me bored of the car.

I did test drive (for one day) an S3 DSG, and found the paddles behind the wheel boring and gave up on them after an hour.

Has anyone bought an RS3 or another DSG equipped car, and regretted it? purely because of the gearbox?

Is software available to reverse the gearbox? ie, pull pack for an up-shift, and push forward for a downshift (the way it's supposed to be) as this then make it more bearable.

Honest answers please.

I currently have an S3 Saloon, bought because I could opt for a Manual gearbox. Main reason why I didn't buy the last RS3 (No manual)

Now that the RS3 Saloon will soon be available to order, it's doing my head in. I want to order one badly, but scared that after a few weeks of ownership, the lack of manual interaction will make me bored of the car.

I did test drive (for one day) an S3 DSG, and found the paddles behind the wheel boring and gave up on them after an hour.

Has anyone bought an RS3 or another DSG equipped car, and regretted it? purely because of the gearbox?

Is software available to reverse the gearbox? ie, pull pack for an up-shift, and push forward for a downshift (the way it's supposed to be) as this then make it more bearable.

Honest answers please.

And honest answer is, no. It's much faster and precise than manually. I thought that also and most of my cars has been manuals but this s-tronic is fast. I don't even go to manual or paddles although I have them because there is no need and I have enough to do by steering it already.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I too had some fear about the DSG only in the RS3, but do not regret it at all. OK you maybe miss that last few percent of interaction with the manual box, but in today's world of traffic jams and the like, it's a pleasure.

I also enjoy the fact that in different modes the character is totally different. Plus I like the paddles.

Of course everyone is different, so if you personally do not get on with the DSG then the opinions of us lot won't really count for anything!

Reactions: RS3 S., EdmundVR4, 45bvtc and 1 other person
I'm not aware that you can push the paddles forward at all, they're not really shaped to get your fingers in front of. It's just left for a downshift and right for an upshift. I like the s-tronic but the only problem for me sometimes is not immediately being sure what gear it's in without actually looking at the screen. I have wondered whether a good halfway-solution to wanting a manual would be a to have a proper gated gearstick but which just triggers the appropriate gear automatically when you shove it in the appropriate slot. That might bring back some of the feel of a manual to the auto. Oh and also, when I want to rev the engine in traffic to make pop sounds to scare grannies, I have to put it into neutral rather than just dip the clutch. A clutch would be good for frightening grannies.

I'm not aware that you can push the paddles forward at all, they're not really shaped to get your fingers in front of. It's just left for a downshift and right for an upshift. I like the s-tronic but the only problem for me sometimes is not immediately being sure what gear it's in without actually looking at the screen. I have wondered whether a good halfway-solution to wanting a manual would be a to have a proper gated gearstick but which just triggers the appropriate gear automatically when you shove it in the appropriate slot. That might bring back some of the feel of a manual to the auto. Oh and also, when I want to rev the engine in traffic to make pop sounds to scare grannies, I have to put it into neutral rather than just dip the clutch. A clutch would be good for frightening grannies.

He meant the 'gear stick' itself. Can slide over to manual and go up and down the gears with it, but + and - are the wrong way round for a natural feel...

Reactions: Scottyg
Doh, of course. Sorry!

Reactions: Ozmosis
I was a bit worried when I got my TT in dsg but soon loved it and would always stick with it now, spesh in audis love it even more so in my Rs3. It doesnt get boring. And with rs3 if u push the stick over into manual you can hold it in gears unlike non Rs products that change up or down.

Most people once they've gone DSG don't go back. I personally find it very interactive still on manual mode. And if you get stuck in a lot of traffic on your commute, it's a no-brainer.

I have wondered whether a good halfway-solution to wanting a manual would be a to have a proper gated gearstick but which just triggers the appropriate gear automatically when you shove it in the appropriate slot.
So it would look like this one from an R8, but it would select the appropriate gear when you stick it into the right slot, as a manual does. Perhaps some clever locking tech would stop you from trying to force it into a slot that the car would refuse to change gear to (5th to 1st etc)
Audi-R8-Spyder-Coupe-volkswagen-exterior-black-gear-knob-630x350.jpg

So a non-clutching manual??
I've had one manual in my past nine cars and hated it after being in 7 previous autos. I'd never go back to manual. Mentioned above, traffic these days the s-tronic is a joy to drive and takes the stress out of sitting in traffic jams, which on my commute is pretty much everyday! I like the paddles if I want a play or just knock the leaver over to the left and use the stick to change. No way I'm ever going back to manual.

I was always the same. Was put off by DSG in a diesel then tried it in a proper car and was totally sold. I'd not go back now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So it would look like this one from an R8, but it would select the appropriate gear when you stick it into the right slot, as a manual does. Perhaps some clever locking tech would stop you from trying to force it into a slot that the car would refuse to change gear to (5th to 1st etc)
Audi-R8-Spyder-Coupe-volkswagen-exterior-black-gear-knob-630x350.jpg

Saab made this year's ago and was a total failure! Apparently reversing was a nightmare. Although that was a while ago now and there was no 'creep' like in an auto/DSG.

A modern version with 'creep' would be a great solution...

Nope, I've 3-DSG equipped Audi cars and tend to drive 'em all the same: in manual when wanting to press on and/or have some fun; in full auto when just trawling along; in 'sport' when in between or a little interested but not, if you see what I mean. Whatever, for sure, DSG provides me with ALL of the options for whatever mood I'm in; and in any of 'em the DSG is way faster than anyone else with a left leg flailing about on a clutch pedal!

I know some just love a clutch pedal but hey! Get real. I most often see clutch-pedal cars going backwards as my DSG in whatever mode is calling for the next gear, and laughing all the way.

You left leg flail if you want to...
:racer: In the meantime... :superman:

Reactions: Scottyg and Ozmosis
I notice that Audi have their box backward to most.

BMW, Porsche, and even Alfa have their boxes as forward for down, and back for up. Suppose once you get used to it? But just doesn't seem right. Spoke to my local Audi dealer today as registered my interest. Just want price confirming and delivery dates. Don't actually want it (if I get one) till April next year.

I've never got used to the VAG groups way of forward for up, pulling back for down etc. But to be honest I use the paddles. Much easier and more fun.

Had a S-tronic and a manual S3 and the manual was so much more involving and made the car a much more enjoyable experience (which most Audi's will benefit from).
Also had many other manual and auto versions.

If I had two cars the one I'd have for fun would be a manual.
An auto is good for the mundane commute, family wagon and straight line blast, but for purist driving you can't beat a manual gearbox IMO.

Manuals are, however, few and far between and no RS has a manual box or option, which is a shame.
Porsche, after trying pdk only in the previous GT3, are again going to offer the new one with a manual box, hopefully others follow suit as its great to have that choice!

Last edited:
Most people once they've gone DSG don't go back. I personally find it very interactive still on manual mode. And if you get stuck in a lot of traffic on your commute, it's a no-brainer.

Exactly, I drive mine in Manual Mode + Dynamic 100% of the time, using a mix of paddle and gearstick shifts. I don't really miss manual to be honest and the DSG box is incredibly fast. The bonus as many have mentioned that change heavy city driving / traffic is much more enjoyable.

Had a S-tronic and a manual S3 and the manual was so much more involving and made the car a much more enjoyable experience (which most Audi's will benefit from).
Also had many other manual and auto versions

Manuals are, however, few and far between and no RS has a manual box or option, which is a shame.

But with the RS in manual you can hold the gears, so i cant see to much difference other than pressing a clutch down. So you can still get a very manual feeling/experience.

Reactions: 45bvtc and DeanoC
But with the RS in manual you can hold the gears, so i cant see to much difference other than pressing a clutch down. So you can still get a very manual feeling/experience.
Exactly. In the RS it is properly manual. It won't change up or down without you telling it to.

It's the same involvement but quicker, sounds better and has flaps that are much better when you are pushing. All with the option of lazy mode if you want it.

Reactions: Swipe18
Exactly. In the RS it is properly manual. It won't change up or down without you telling it to.

It's the same involvement but quicker, sounds better and has flaps that are much better when you are pushing. All with the option of lazy mode if you want it.

I disagree that it's "proper manual" or gives anywhere near the same level of involvement, but that's my opinion.
Some buy into the s-tronic paddle thing, I don't, and feel it compromises things too much for me, devaluing the driving experience when that's what I want.

If the RS3 was available as a manual, I fully expect it would open the door to many more people wanting one, those who crave the more traditional drive, rather than to be driven with all the driving aids available these days.

However, I do enjoy taking the wife's S5 when we are going to the local shopping centre or I'm doing the nursery run, something I'm doing today.

Reactions: DeanoC
I disagree that it's "proper manual" or gives anywhere near the same level of involvement, but that's my opinion.
Some buy into the s-tronic paddle thing, I don't, and feel it compromises things too much for me, devaluing the driving experience when that's what I want.

If the RS3 was available as a manual, I fully expect it would open the door to many more people wanting one, those who crave the more traditional drive, rather than to be driven with all the driving aids available these days.

However, I do enjoy taking the wife's S5 when we are going to the local shopping centre or I'm doing the nursery run, something I'm doing today.
I guess that is what makes life interesting. We both have tried both and prefer different things.

It's the muscle memory bit i reckon that gets a lot of people stuck.

Its just technicaly better. 2 clutches is better than 1 when it comes to the business of changing gears. You can't opperate 2 manually so that is why we have semi autos and most really hot cars now have them.

View attachment 117449

But the DSG does change DOWN automatically when in MANUAL - well all three of mine (RS3, TT, A1) do, anyway - it's the UP changes that are NOT automatic.

At an Audi dealership day at Oulton Park a few years ago our 'tame racing driver' was explicit; just concentrate on the upshifts and allow the DSG to take care of the downshifts - and it sure was impressive in the RS6 and S5:

RS6 OP1 mod

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and DeanoC
View attachment 117449

But the DSG does change DOWN automatically when in MANUAL - well all three of mine (RS3, TT, A1) do, anyway - it's the UP changes that are NOT automatic.

At an Audi dealership day at Oulton Park a few years ago our 'tame racing driver' was explicit; just concentrate on the upshifts and allow the DSG to take care of the downshifts - and it sure was impressive in the RS6 and S5:

View attachment 117450

My RS4 doesn't and the R8 v10 i had didnt. The RS6 had a slush box tiptronic not s-tronic.

It puts it in first when you have stopped i think. Not sure as i only use manual when I'm moving really.

Last edited:

I would absolutely have bought a manual RS but then it wouldn't commute nor go shopping ;)
DSG is ideal for day to day going somewhere, manual is for interaction..........lights fuse and exits stage left. Bottom line is buy what you like but try them first, I bought a manual S3 after trying a DSG S3.

And as for this middle aged 5dr only thing don't get me started :)

I had manuals until my last three dual clutch cars, never go back I never really get the whole manual involvement thing.
The DSG changes exactly when you want it to and if not then you can choose to do it yourself, all having a foot clutch and manual means is that you have the opportunity to mess up the gear change as far as I can see, fast road driving aside there's holding on hills, stop start traffic on inclines and just general town driving which is so much better than with DSG.

Reactions: Swipe18
I would go back to a manual if I bought a m2 or m3 I would go manual I loved the manual in my Rs4 also but at the same time the step of in the Rs3 in manual mode is great I use it 99% of the time

Drove the TTRS for over a hour......no manual gearbox needed....awesome ****** DSG box and far quicker changing than my S3's,the gearbox is what l enjoyed most of all about the car....never felt the need to fire it into paddle mode at all it downshifted the way it should do,in my S3 l am nearly always in paddle mode

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3