Hope someone can help

IOM-S3

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a 2008 s3 8p with 53k on it. Ever since i got the car it has made a whirring/droaning type wheel bearing noise from the front of the car. This isnt noticeable if going round town at low speeds, its when speed is increased. It gets even louder when cornering, whether it be a left or right hand corner. also happens when clutch is engaged also and free wheeling.

Had a friend who works for vw have a look, wheel bearings seem fine, everything uinderneath seems spot on. Haldex oil was done last service.

I just find it hard to believe that it has 2 front wheel bearings that are shot??

i have alos tried another set of wheels with different tyres... same noise :(

HELP

Thanks alot

It probably is the wheel bearings. My car was company car before I owned it and one front wheel bearing was changed under warranty by Audi and I had to have the other done quite soon after buying the car.

The one that Audi changed was at something silly like 40,000 miles.

Thanks for the reply Sayam, just weird how it makes the noise from both sides

Reactions: Sayam
I feel your pain mate! Mine is basically the same as this at the moment but just to the front drivers side. I've had everything off and looked and there is no clicking or odd noises. Could it still be the wheel bearing?!

so frustrating, its very noticeable at speeds and droans a lot when cornering. I just don't want to go spending a lot of money on the bearings if it doesn't resolve it lol

Same happened on mine when I first got it at 89k. Took it to garage & they said the bearing was fine with no play or grittiness on spinning the wheel. All in all no obvious signs of bearing failure. Drone on front drivers side at 50 / 60 mph but fine around town. Even got other half to drive whilst I sat in passenger side listening for noise. Still evident but much quieter so i took it was the drivers side. Went back to garage & insisted there was a fault. They changed drivers wheel bearing & it remedied problem.

Not saying it's the same on yours but if you aren't happy take it back to garage.

Louder when cornering would suggest bearings as you are putting more load on the front wheels, I've also seen front bearing fail (on an A3 though) on car with around 40k on and only a 2010

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same issue :)

Mind you, @IOM-S3 check you tyres thoroughly first! It may be a tyre with a flat spot or bubble or out of shape for some reason.

Like @Bedders my mechanic also maintained there was no play or anything wrong with the bearing. Similarly, I had the wishbone bushes and ball joints changed and he again insisted there was nothing wrong with them. Both times, the symptoms were cured after the work had been done.

This leads me to believe the Audi tolerances are too tight to be checked in the traditional way by rocking the wheel or spinning it on the ramp.

Thanks @Sayam i have tried some other wheels with descent tyres and the issue was still there

Reactions: Sayam