Horrendous Tar

J4MMYz

Reaction score
A week back I drove down a country lane and without warning had workers filling in pot holes, and I drove through the fresh tar

Well, I've come to wash it and noticed that half of the tar they put on the road has gone on my car, it's splattered all around the bottom i'm quite annoyed.

Basically, now it's March I wanted to clay bar/wax so i'll do that next week, but I need a good tar remover.

I wanted to buy the Iron X/Tar remover all in one but I'm not sure if it will cut it for this amount of tar - what do you guys think? I gave up washing it when I seen this, I'll buy the tar stuff but should I be ok with this stuff:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008FQBTF6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=11J7S3SQTKH5H&coliid=I3IDGFMW3WNSAC

(I debated putting this in the detailing section but I want a wider audience if nobody minds)

A week back I drove down a country lane and without warning had workers filling in pot holes, and I drove through the fresh tar

Well, I've come to wash it and noticed that half of the tar they put on the road has gone on my car, it's splattered all around the bottom i'm quite annoyed.

Basically, now it's March I wanted to clay bar/wax so i'll do that next week, but I need a good tar remover.

I wanted to buy the Iron X/Tar remover all in one but I'm not sure if it will cut it for this amount of tar - what do you guys think? I gave up washing it when I seen this, I'll buy the tar stuff but should I be ok with this stuff:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008FQBTF6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=11J7S3SQTKH5H&coliid=I3IDGFMW3WNSAC

(I debated putting this in the detailing section but I want a wider audience if nobody minds)

Spray on WD40 or equivalent and wipe off - gets it off easily with no scratching....and is very cheap.

Maybe try dragons breth, paint friendly. Very strong substance (advise a mask and gloves)

I done exactly the same when they were filling the potholes at the end of my street. Tar was everywhere.

I used Auto Glym tar remover and it worked fine. I did use half a bottle mind you as I was just spraying it at the car. Dabbing it on with a cloth just wasn't doing the trick.

I've had similar tar incidents and used Tar X and Tardis, both with good results. Follow the instructions though and don't let it dwell for more than about 7 minutes.

Tardis is your friend its really good but you will have to polish the car after though but if you intend doing that its ok .

I use AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover. Its one of the few AutoGlym products I use.

Dab it on and leave for 30 seconds and it the tar wipes off. The only issue is that it'll no doubt take off any wax with it.

Didn't know about the WD40 trick; might have to try that.

John.

I use auto finesse oblitarate, it's an amazing remover and really does require no effort for even the worse amounts of tar. I tried auto glym and a few others, but wouldn't use anything else now

I hit a pothole a couple of weeks ago. Wrote off the tyre + lots of inconvenience in the dark - had to call the AA.

I must say, I would have preferred a bit of tar to remove!

I used this from Halfords when I had the same problem, pleasantly surprised at how well it works tbh http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/shampoo/turtle-wax-bug-and-tar-remover-500ml

I've used this before on my old car, it was ok but for me it wouldn't remove all of the tar even after a 2-3 tries. The product also smells like petrol and ruined the cloths.

I've also used TarX/IronX which was much better with the added benefit of removing any iron deposits. But it smells god awful, like something has died, and also ruins your cloths.

Personally I use the Turtle Wax tar remover, spray on, leave for a few minutes and then wipe off. Works just as well as Auto Glym, Auto Finesse and some of the other tar removers (IMO), but not as expensive. The trick is though to spray on an leave for a few minutes else it doesn't work as well (at least not on heavy tar spots)

Auto Finesse Oblitarate - excellent product.

Be aware that tar removers will remove any polish you did have on the area you treated.

Tardis

But got to be honest I absolutely love

Auto finesse oblitarate

I on purpose hadn't washed my car for 3 months there was tar and all sorts and that stuff got all the tar off in one fell swoop

if you're next to a store, then Autoglym tar remover will work well.

if not, tardis from Auto Smart is the best in my opinion, but may be a little tricky to get a hold of, do not buy it off ebay, not only could it be tampered with, it's actually illegal to post out via the Royal Mail the way most of those sellers do.

White spirit removes tar. Quick, easy and cheeep.

Obviously, remove all traces of it by washing thoroughly afterwards, and re-apply whatever wax / sealant again and all done.

Last edited:
autosmart tardis for me, my celica was covered in the stuff, nad was sorted after a quick spray of tardis and iron x