Hot iPhone with CarPlay

kmanmx

Reaction score
Just got my A4 today and love it, but I am finding my iPhone X gets really hot when using CarPlay. I have the cabin fairly cool, about 18c. But after a 30 minute journey, the iPhone is so hot that it's all laggy and unresponsive when I unplug it for a minute or two and it cools down. I'm plugging it into the USB under the arm rest. Anyone else experienced similar ?

Not had that issue in my S5 for the last year with my iPhone 7 Plus with iOS11 I must say, but it’s not an iPhone X, so maybe someone else with one can comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my A4 today and love it, but I am finding my iPhone X gets really hot when using CarPlay. I have the cabin fairly cool, about 18c. But after a 30 minute journey, the iPhone is so hot that it's all laggy and unresponsive when I unplug it for a minute or two and it cools down. I'm plugging it into the USB under the arm rest. Anyone else experienced similar ?

Never experienced this and have been using CarPlay on my iPhone X in our B9 since the phone was launched in Sept last year, other half uses her iPhone 8 and again never had this happen, prior to that she had an iPhone 6S and I ran a 7 and we've had the car since May 2016 and no issues like that. Sounds a bit daft but maybe try another phone if you have access to one to see if its the same?

Thanks everyone. After a bit more testing I think I have nailed the issue down to being plugged into USB and also resting on the wireless charging mat at the same time. I drove for 30 minutes with it plugged in but not charging from the mat, and it stayed much cooler. Still doesn’t seem right, but at least it might be a workaround. Need to do more testing to confirm...

Thanks everyone. After a bit more testing I think I have nailed the issue down to being plugged into USB and also resting on the wireless charging mat at the same time. I drove for 30 minutes with it plugged in but not charging from the mat, and it stayed much cooler. Still doesn’t seem right, but at least it might be a workaround. Need to do more testing to confirm...

Silly question but plugged in and charging and on wireless charge - does the battery get over juiced?

Wireless charger does heat the phone up fair bit I’ve found

Silly question but plugged in and charging and on wireless charge - does the battery get over juiced?

Wireless charger does heat the phone up fair bit I’ve found

It may well be, but it shouldn't happen. Modern smartphones have very complicated, good power management to avoid being overcharged etc. So either my iPhone is faulty or the cars USB / wireless charging are faulty (or just a design flaw). I don't think I will bother doing anything about it properly though, it no problem just putting it somewhere other than the mat really.

Sounds like that's the issue (ISB and Wireless charging together) our B9 doesn't have the phone box probably why I have no issue with iPhone X overheating while using CarPlay...

Surely there must be a work around though?

... wireless charging (though it’s not true wirrless, it uses two coils) isn’t super efficient, and efficiency is impacted by orientation of the transmit and receive coils. Small movement and you can increase / decrease efficiency. Efficiency loss = heat gain. Hard to control position in a moving car. By contrast, a desktop Qi cradle wouldn’t be so lossy as the orientation is optimized for best efficiency.

You also have the self heating of the phone itself as it’s working .. though that will be just a few degrees .

.. the heat your experiencing could be partly the receiver coil on inside of the phone housing, .. battery temperatures is protected by an over temp protection feature that is typically about 45-50C trip . As long as he battery has room to swell inside he phone case , you’re ok (part of the mechanical design). Faults do occur .. phones are made in hundreds of millions.. even a low Part per million failure rate yields faults...

Reactions: kmanmx