Hottest day of year, air con decides to pack up!!!

S3EDDIE

Reaction score
Left work, car hot as inside put air con on and no coldness boo. Cars still under warranty, would Audi charge if it was just a re gas? I can get it done at work cheap but would it be better for me just to get Audi to look at it first instead?

Is there a common problem, does anyone know?

"Put aircon on" - the whole point of climate control is that you run it all year round, turning it off for long periods dries out the rubbers, they crack and leak

Dont expect to much..My A3 aircon is crap when the weather warms up. I had it serviced/disinfected/recharged by Audi and they said its fine.
at the moment i have an a4 and its 50x better than the A3 system

my a3 system was fine paddy granted not as chilled as others but not far off it

Yea, to be honest i thought mine was ok but while my car is in audi's ( over three weeks now) I have had a couple of A4 loan cars and it makes you realise the A3 system is a bit lacking.

S3EDDIE, If its still under warranty as you say then just get it booked in to Audi. I've had a new compressor through a warranty claim.

mines great paddy, just press a button and roof disapears!!! lol

today could be the day you put your roof down this year...lol 24/c they think. Only 3 weeks now till the eves start drawing in...
I have to say that looking round the forecourts, Cabs are really good value at the moment.

S3EDDIE, If its still under warranty as you say then just get it booked in to Audi. I've had a new compressor through a warranty claim.

+1.

Get it looked at. Mine also had a new compressor unit under warranty. You could tell as the economy light would not stay on. £900 cost. Works lovely & quick now.
Or take it to Kwik Fit for a gas recharge for £50. They won't even charge you if it doesn't reduce the temperatures afterwads. That's how I knew my aircon was first faulty, when it needed it's first warranty fix before the compressor unit blew.

On second thoughts, maybe it's not too good a system after all :think:

Don't whatever you do go to kwik fit, they just overpressurise the system (that's the only way to get more freon into it) and that will lead to major problems!
If it needs regassing then it has to be drained first and then refilled to the correct operating pressure. If there are no failures and it is just a regas it won't be covered under warranty as it is just wear & tear like brakes or tyres.

Don't whatever you do go to kwik fit, they just overpressurise the system (that's the only way to get more freon into it) and that will lead to major problems!
If it needs regassing then it has to be drained first and then refilled to the correct operating pressure. If there are no failures and it is just a regas it won't be covered under warranty as it is just wear & tear like brakes or tyres.

Well you live and learn! Wouldn't want them servicing the motor, but used them successfully 3 times previously for aircon regassing on other motors & it didn't lead to any other problems. Kept the cars for at least 2 Years after the regassing & the aircon worked fine. Guess I was just lucky. Horses for courses...

Got car back earlier, it was the compressor and they had it in stock so its obviously a common fault. Bit worried about this car really, warranty runs out in 2 months and already had two big claims (rack/compressor) would be nearly 3k retail I estimate.

my Econ light wont go OUT and cannot be made to go out. got the car last winter so never really got to test it properly. The Econ light stays off initially and used to stay off if pressed, but now its always on, and as a result wont go ice cold. Anyone know whats up?

Akash,

I think that the symptoms you describe are listed in the handbook as what the aircon unit does to indicate that there's a fault. For example, when my compressor packed in the ECON light would not switch off when you pressed either the ECON button or the main AUTO button. It also did it when I had a minor sensor fault in the aircon unit as well, so it's not necessarily pricey. Unless you go near an AUDI garage like.

Could be any fault - best get it checked out...