How can I make the 1.8 non turbo engine quicker???

Nevdog02

Reaction score
Alright guys. I know I should have brought a turbo idealy, but im going to have to make do with waht i've got. Anybody got any suggestions of possibly upgrades for my naturally aspirated engine, im not expecting massive increases, because its not a turbo. But any help would be appreciated

Cheers. Brett

How about a new cold air intake and air filter?? that would be the first thing I reckon.

Without spending alot of money you cant really make it go any quicker.

Things like cold air induction and exhausts will give u a grand total of maybe 4bhp but cost you probably not alot less than £500.00 - personally i'd save that and buy a turbo in a year

even a remap on a 1.8 n/a engine is unlikely to get you much more than 10- 15bhp if your lucky and will set you back over £200

best advice would be to save the cash and put it towards a 1.8T

If you are desperate to go quicker, the other way to go is to make it lighter - so take everything out of the car you don't need - rear seats, spare wheel, junk in the boot etc. etc.

MikeA3 said:
even a remap on a 1.8 n/a engine is unlikely to get you much more than 10- 15bhp if your lucky and will set you back over £200

best advice would be to save the cash and put it towards a 1.8T

In my experience, you'll be lucky to get much more than 5 BHP genuine gains...
7 BHP from a 2.0 16v with other mods...so a 1.8 20v - which is known to be a bit lacking in torque - will be lucky to give the same gain.

Sadly, you can spend a fortune on filters, exhausts and re-maps and probably gain about 5-7BHP...noticable for sure, but not a huge gain.

5-7 BHP is nothing its not noticable enough to say WOW! that's so much quicker.

is the exact reason why i went for the 1.8T be at it 17 years old when i first got it didnt see the point in waisting money on a 1.8 N/A.

Id take the advice of what the guys said save up for a 1.8T if insurance is not a problem then maybe you could trade it for an older 1.8 T just a thought?

Jason

hi

yer i'd say change it for a 1.8T as you cannot do much on n/a engine for little £

shineydave said:
supercharger anyone?

I inquired about that on mine was between £3000 and £5000 would see a good gain with all the internals done though lol.

I totally agree with what your all saying, i think i should have bought a turbo, the difference insurance wise is about 50 quid lol. Thanks for all your advice anyway, appreciate it! I'm just going to have to look to invest in the turbo..

my friend made that mistake and bought a mk4 2.0 GTI whereas I bought the 1.8 T he drove mine once after it was mapped and traded in the same day

In the mk4 golf even then 1.8 NA is quicker than 2.0. 2.0L is about 115BHP then 1.8 is 125BHP, go figure?

the 1.8 has a higher bhp - but the 2.0 feels quicker as its got more torque.

Both **** for a GTI tho - would have made much more sense with a GT badge or somethin, with the turbo having the I

i had my 125bhp golf remapped, managed to get 140bhp out of it, much nicer to drive and it could keep up with a standard 150bhp gti, cost me £250 by chipwizard, rochdale