How easy is it to add on factory extras on a second hand A3?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
How easy is it to add on things like:

1 - Xenons
2 - Arm Rest
3 - Sat Nav
4 - Bose

If I buy a 140, I can pretty much get all this in my budget, but if I go for a 170 (which I am swaying towards), I would be lucky to get all these included.

So I'm trying to weigh up the possibilities :)

All can be done however difficulty and price will be the main factor for the 1st and last options.

Xenons will cost be fair bit as you will need the proper headlights and control units.

Armest is easy and cheap - £150 ish
Sat nav is easy and cheapish - £450-500

Bose is quite a bit of work.

fairly easy(although bose is a complete waste of money) but you need to way up extra costs, your other option is to buy the 140 and get it mapped.

On the sound front I'd run a decent amp and set of aftermarket speakers off of an OEM Sat Nav.

There are a number of add on sound processors that you could add on to the OEM Sat Nav to handle Time Alignment Cross Over frequency etc.

Regards,

Paul

you can literally add everything to these cars, it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for it!

as above really, wouldn't waste your money on BOSE. just go aftermarket. it'll sound miles better. conversely don't even THINK about not getting an OEM head unit. RNS-E is the best head unit you can get when you consider looks, resale, integration etc.

TBH, it'd be easier (and probably cheaper) to get a 140 with the options you want and then get it mapped up to 170-ish power levels.

Is it just as easy to upgrade to an RSN-E sat nav unit from a Concert headunit as it is from a Symphony headunit?

This is based on a 2007 model if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Depends if it's the newer style double-DIN Concert unit. Originally, only the Symphony unit was double-DIN sized, like the RNS-E, making it an easy swap, whereas the Concert was half the size so you needed all manner of other bits to fit an RNS-E. I know that, at some point, the Concert became a double-DIN unit too but I'm not sure when this happened.

Depends if it's the newer style double-DIN Concert unit. Originally, only the Symphony unit was double-DIN sized, like the RNS-E, making it an easy swap, whereas the Concert was half the size so you needed all manner of other bits to fit an RNS-E. I know that, at some point, the Concert became a double-DIN unit too but I'm not sure when this happened.

Ok sound - I'll look into this. I know they released a Concert II which I'm guessing the the double-din unit. What's the betting that this was released after 2007....

You may be in luck as my last car was a 2006 model and, whilst I had the RNS-E in it, I'm fairly sure the double-DIN Concert was available at that time.