How effective is the Quattro 4WD system in Wintry weather?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
For those of you with a Quattro A6, how does it cope in a few inches of snow and/or icy roads on Summer tyres? Just wondering if my A6 Avant Quattro (on factory order) will still need Winter tyres (I live in the Highlands) or whether i can get away with decent Summer tyres (eg Michelin PS 4S) in Winter providing the weather isn't extreme.
Cheers

For those of you with a Quattro A6, how does it cope in a few inches of snow and/or icy roads on Summer tyres? Just wondering if my A6 Avant Quattro (on factory order) will still need Winter tyres (I live in the Highlands) or whether i can get away with decent Summer tyres (eg Michelin PS 4S) in Winter providing the weather isn't extreme.
Cheers

I find that Quattro gets me going in most situations with summer tyres on, but it doesn’t help at all with braking or steering which is most likely when you’ll have an accident...

Totally up to you though, some people say winter tyres aren’t worth the money but I personally use them for the peace of mind. In my experience they tend to grip better once the mercury gets around where it is just now, not just in snow. I’m just down from you in Aberdeen so the weather isn’t a million miles off in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phil-1 and psychopomp1
Cheers mate. I always change over to Winter tyres on my A4 (non-Quattro) in Oct/Nov since moving here & find them great. But obviously its a bit of a chore having to switch between Summers><Winters twice a year. Hence why I made sure my next Audi would be a Quattro, so i may not need Winter tyres at all. I think I'll wait & see how i find the Quattro system in winter with decent Summer tyres before deciding whether to use Winter tyres or not. Thanks again! :)

Having winter tyres is night and day over having summer ones. Having 4wd only helps you get the car up to speed, but offers no advantage to stopping or turning!

The rubber compound in the winter tyres is designed to offer more grip in lower temperatures whilst the summer rubber will “harden” and reduce the traction.

I think this comparison test filmed in my home country should shelve the argument for this winter:

Reactions: psychopomp1
Cheers
Depends upon your use of the car really and if you need to go out in icy or snowy conditions. Otherwise in cold wet conditions normal tyres will be fine....