How long can I keep my ncb?

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Basically, I own 2 cars with seperate policys. I sold one yesterday and I dont have its replacement yet as I am starting my search, and I never rush into buying a car anyway, and I own another car on its own policy so I still have transport etc in the meantime.

I phoned my insurer to tell them I had sold the car and I ended up having to cancel my policy as unless I insure another car with them within the month, its no longer valid!

Now it could take me a few months to find my next car, so I am hoping I dont need to buy a £100 banger just to keep my ncb alive. I currently have 12 years on that policy. I understand as it is now cancelled I lose the previous year, (would have been 13 years ncb come December) but I dont want to lose 12 years ncb, and likewise I dont wish to rush and buy another car (or a banger) just to keep it valid.

Hope that makes sense.

I had a gap of nearly 3 years and went back to the same company and still had my ncd.
Worth a call to them and ask to be sure.
I got a second car in January and they mirrored my ncd on that car so i was very happy.

Good to know, cheers guys. Might be giving you a call tim@prestige when I find its replacement.