How long can you use dash cam while parked in winter?

martinrs

Reaction score
Are there any dash cams that can record in park mode for a few days without a battery pack?
A back up battery is pricey. A Blackvue power magic ultra can cost as much as £330 which is almost the equivalent of what a dash cam costs.
I’ve read some posts about dash cams in parking mode shutting off completely within a few minutes.
Cold temperatures during winter will drain the battery to lower levels.

Depends on the camera's power efficiency and your vehicles battery size. It also depends on how many moving objects are around your vehicle which might trigger motion recording. The most power efficient camera system I have come across is the Thinkware Q800Pro. Used to easily get 48hours parking mode from my Audi A3 8V battery with battery protect set to 12.3v, parked off street.

I have a Thinkware Q800Pro in my A4 with the OBD wiring kit, works a treat you can set it to turn off if the voltage drops below a point in the settings.

I have a Thinkware dash cam. It has winter battery protection feature to power the dash cam off 0.2 volts above the voltage cut off point. I usually set voltage cut off at 12.2V to ensure my battery does not drain.

Thinkware energy saving mode can lower power consumption by recording only upon an impact. The dash cam will last a few days on energy saving mode so a good feature if you want to use parking mode for a long period.

Thanks for the replies. Guess it would really depend on power efficiency of the dash cam.

I also think it depends on how much you drive the car? When i take my Q2 on longer trips then I easily get 24hrs + of standby parking mode, but if i do my work commute during the week which is 5kms then it rarely does a few hrs.

Think the thinkware cams has 48 hours max regardless of how much battery power there is.
Like ormesome said if the cars low on charge from short journeys then it will only get a few hours.

I also think it depends on how much you drive the car? When i take my Q2 on longer trips then I easily get 24hrs + of standby parking mode, but if i do my work commute during the week which is 5kms then it rarely does a few hrs.

Agree. Depends on how well the battery is charged up.
It also depends on power consumption. Thinkware U1000 runs on 208.8 mA/hour and Blackvue runs on 392mA/hour.
So Thinkware would run longer on parking mode compared to Blackvue.
Of course this can change according to conditions like battery and temperature.

Reactions: Ormesome