How long should a clutch last?

HODD

Reaction score
I wondered how long a clutch should last as my car is now at 114,000 miles, looking back through the history and there is a lot! it doesn't appear to have been done.
What do you think, still on the original clutch at 114,000miles?

Don't see why it couldn't still be on the original clutch. If it's been driven softly or has done lots of motorway miles then they hold up pretty well. I've just replaced mine at 110k and all evidence points to it being the original item.

What I would say is that if you plan on remapping the car then make sure you budget for a new clutch as well. Mine seemed absolutely fine pre-remap but within days of having the map applied it started slipping.

Mine on original clutch at 124K - remapped at 86K

What car are you driving?

2001 S3, It has had it's clutch pedal replaced at around 98,000 miles.

HODD + Bantam, if you drive your car respectfully and dont run too much power through the standard clutch it should go as long as the rest of the car does, especially now that its been replaced.. Standard clutches across the VAG range in my experience arent that great, however you guys should have no worries. If you start going Bigger turbo and remaps then id you'd be putting pressure on it but if you take care of it, its fine for another 60,000-80,000 miles imo.

My pedal broke recently and had the clutch and master & slave cylinders replaced.

114k miles A3 Quattro - pretty sure was on original clutch.

My pedal broke recently and had the clutch and master & slave cylinders replaced.

114k miles A3 Quattro - pretty sure was on original clutch.

I know about the pedal breaking as mine did but didnt need a new MC & Clutch, what caused those other 2 things to go?

It was something up with the master cylinder that caused pedal to break. He replaced the others because was replacing gearbox and could do it at same time. It required replacing as was on the way out - could feel the pedal getting stiffer. Now it's nice and light.

Have I just been lucky then so far, and can I expect a hefty bill in the near future with my remapped S3 still on its original clutch at 124K?

Or are others with high mileage cars with original clutch just staying out of this thread?

you'll also need to factor in a new flywheel too, the recepit for mine was just over £600 for clutch and flywheel at an independant..

you'll also need to factor in a new flywheel too, the recepit for mine was just over £600 for clutch and flywheel at an independant..

That seems v.cheap. Where was that for future reference?

That seems v.cheap. Where was that for future reference?

That's what I was thinking. I've just had mine done for £950 and that was the cheapest I could find. Book time is 8 hours and at around £50/hr it soon adds up. From what I've heard some places do only charge for 5 or 6 hours but I couldn't find anywhere like that.