How long with a worn clutch and worn DMF?

RyanB88

Reaction score
Hi all,

In September I purchased a 2004 BKD 2.0 TDi DSG A3. Mileage at time of purchase was around 88,000.

Great car, love it. The car now sits on around 92500, so I've done around 4500 miles in in quite a short space of time.

Soon after I purchased the car, I noticed that every now n then when giving it some through the gears and changing gear using the paddles, it would hesitate for (what felt like 10 minutes) but was probaly about 1-2 seconds before changing gear. The car got the feeling of tip toeing and all the weight transfering to the front of the car, instead of it being a smooth DSG change

To be honest, looking back it has never been totally smooth, but as of late it has been much worse and I have also noticed a slight bit of clutch slipping in traffic/moving off. There is also a *VERY* faint DMF chatter which can be heard on idle if you are listening out for it. The final symptom is that the engine judders on idle in neutral, but not when in gear. I am almost 100% sure that the clutch and DMF are both close to failure

Now, my questions are as follows:

1) Who would you reccomend around the Midlands to change these two items?
2) Approx how much will these two cost on a DSG?
3) How much longer (I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but approx) do you think my clutch/DMF will last for before failure and breakdown looms?
4) Can any further damage be done if anything does decide to break, or is it worth just waiting until the inevitable happens?

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Sorry also to add - the car is a 140, but is remapped to around 180bhp, will a replacement standard clutch/flywheel be upto the job, as I don't want to replace them, only to have to replace them again in 6 months! I will probably own the car for another 2 years and do around 35,000 miles before selling. Thanks

Like most people with a car problem we become fixated/paranoid it's this, it's that.
Change the DSG oil and use VCDS to reset the gearbox.

Are you sure its a DSG? Maybe you've got just a normal 6 speed auto box which aren't very good at all, my mate has a 2.0TDI with an auto box, does it shift any quicker in S?

As said try an oil change

Ryan, what I would do it to get it scanned with VCDS. This at least may point out where the rough idle is coming from, and at the same time you could reset the DSG box. Rough idle could be because the idle revs are set too low, again something you can experiment with on VCDS. Impossible to say how long the clutch and DMF will last, but I would go easy on the clutch for the moment. Good luck.

Hi, thanks for all the advice

I genuinely believe that it is the DMF and clutch rather than anything else!

Hence my questions, I'm just after a bit of advice on these questions if anyone could help please:

1) Who would you reccomend around the Midlands to change these two items?
2) Approx how much will these two cost on a DSG?
3) How much longer (I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but approx) do you think my clutch/DMF will last for before failure and breakdown looms?
4) Can any further damage be done if anything does decide to break, or is it worth just waiting until the inevitable happens?