How low do you go?

S32B

Reaction score
Just had my service done and he recommended that I change the front tyres as they are down to 3mm, I knew they were low and wouldn't last another 12 months before the car goes back.

The 'legal' limit is 1.6mm, I was just wondering how low people go before changing theirs?

I'm going to let him do the tyres, he's about £25 more than what I can get them for from National tyres, but he's recently had over £6,000 worth on new tyre equipment delivered, so he said zero damage to my alloys and he's closer! :) Not to mention he just saved me £223 on the 2nd service vs the Audi price, so that covers most of the tyres cost!!

PS: I've seen on YT the difference in stopping between 3mm vs 1.6mm but what about 5mm vs 3mm etc????

Usually change mine between 2-3mm, really surprising how much your stopping distance suffers when you fall below 3mm.

Reactions: S32B
with the time of year coming iwoukd get them done

even if the legal limit is 1.6 below 2mm you are risking lower grip and perfoamnce and espcially noiser tyres - so for the sake of 1mm get them done

get them done

As said before winters coming, wet, slippy roads. Get an advantage with new tyres more tread. Safer theoretically.

Im down to 2 mm on the rears and I have about 3.0 on the fronts, this is the lowest id go.... I am booked in for a nice new set of P zero's on Friday. more to the point, what is the biggest delta between axles that is safe for a quattro?

The tread wear indicator across the tread is about the lowest I would go and that’s about 2mm.
Even then at 2mm the tyres would be close to useless in standing water.

more to the point, what is the biggest delta between axles that is safe for a quattro?

a3/s3 Haldex as I understand is less fussy when it comes to variation across the axles as the it’s only part time awd.
I was told when I got my first Quattro by the tech that no more than 2-3mm between axles as that could prematurely wear the torsion diff.

with the time of year coming iwoukd get them done

even if the legal limit is 1.6 below 2mm you are risking lower grip and perfoamnce and espcially noiser tyres - so for the sake of 1mm get them done

get them done
Oh yeah I'm getting them done mate, all booked in for next wednesday :) :icon thumright: I had to brake hard the other day on a slip road when an idiot pulled into my safety/stopping gap and then hit his brakes due to the traffic being stopped ahead! I thought then "Good job it's not wet". I've got the car for another 11-12 months anyway, so they needed to be done before it goes :)

Just found this which nails it home, about 20 foot quicker with new tyres rather than what's on now...could make all the difference! After seeing this chart I think I'll always change at 3mm from now on.
attachment.php

Reactions: KenL
Oh yeah I'm getting them done mate, all booked in for next wednesday :) :icon thumright: I had to brake hard the other day on a slip road when an idiot pulled into my safety/stopping gap and then hit his brakes due to the traffic being stopped ahead! I thought then "Good job it's not wet". I've got the car for another 11-12 months anyway, so they needed to be done before it goes :)

Just found this which nails it home, about 20 foot quicker with new tyres rather than what's on now...could make all the difference! After seeing this chart I think I'll always change at 3mm from now on.
attachment.php

If you only got the car for under a year or so shove some budget tyres on. I’m a big fan of the uniroyal rainsports for budget-ish tyres. Some of the falkens and hankooks are pretty good as well.

My S3 fronts are barely legal and interestingly the lateral grip is OK until you really push but the braking performance is appalling.
My wife runs Falkens on here SUV thing and tbh they are more than good enough in day to day driving.

If you only got the car for under a year or so shove some budget tyres on. I’m a big fan of the uniroyal rainsports for budget-ish tyres. Some of the falkens and hankooks are pretty good as well.
I did think that mate, but after talking to the guy at the indy today and another guy at a tyre place a week or so ago I've decided to keep the same on. That way nobody can knock me down on price IF I sell it privately OR more importantly Audi/BCA can't knock/charge me if I give them the keys and walk away. Not to mention it's not fair on the next owner to put cheap tyres on it, it comes in at £270 for both fitted. Like I say I saved £223 on the service vs the Audi price, so in the big picture!!

And (highly unlikely) but if the car was worth what I owe I may just keep it another year as nothing really grabs me at the moment.

BCA/Audi wouldn’t care as long as there is legal tread limit.
Might make a tiny bit of difference on private sale or trade in but doubt it. Uniroyal is a great tyre and on par with some of the premiums in my opinion. Different story if you shoved some £20 ditch finders on.
£270 for 2 tyres isn’t bad anyway.

BCA/Audi wouldn’t care as long as there is legal tread limit.
Might make a tiny bit of difference on private sale or trade in but doubt it. Uniroyal is a great tyre and on par with some of the premiums in my opinion. Different story if you shoved some £20 ditch finders on.
£270 for 2 tyres isn’t bad anyway.
Just covering all bases mate, don't want to give them any excuse at all ;) I'll have them over the worst weather months anyway, think the wet grip rating is A, what price do you put on safety? I'd hate for something to happen and then think 'what if', at least I know I've got the recommended tyres on ;) :)

Just looked and it's not worth messing around with for £40 tbh.
Screenshot wwwblackcirclescom 20191029 15 49 13

Reactions: AlS3BE
The tread wear indicator across the tread is about the lowest I would go and that’s about 2mm.
I always thought the wear indicators were at the legal minimum......but if it is 2mm then that's the absolute lowest I would go.
Thinking about it the last time I needed to buy new tyres was 10 years ago, due to a combination of new cars and low mileage. :)

I always thought the wear indicators were at the legal minimum......but if it is 2mm then that's the absolute lowest I would go.
Thinking about it the last time I needed to buy new tyres was 10 years ago, due to a combination of new cars and low mileage. :)
Same here mate, company cars for years, then one I bought off them and kept 12 months with the original tyres, then the S3 I sold with over 17k on the clock after 2.5 years on the original tyres. Yet this A5 coupe under 7,000 on the clock and new fronts needed!!! Lots of stop start short trips with a heavy car eats them :(

Reactions: Ron240
Just covering all bases mate, don't want to give them any excuse at all ;) I'll have them over the worst weather months anyway, think the wet grip rating is A, what price do you put on safety? I'd hate for something to happen and then think 'what if', at least I know I've got the recommended tyres on ;) :)

Just looked and it's not worth messing around with for £40 tbh.
View attachment 192860

That must be the most expensive uniroyal I’ve seen.
Only ever bought them in 15/16/17s for other cars I’ve owned. for £40 it’s not worth mucking about. if it was £100 then it might be different.

3mm was when I got mine done on the front at around 17k. About six months later the rears were done at 22k and were down to around 3.5mm.

Reactions: Jassyo06
As that small patch of rubber is the only thing keeping the car on the road i would change them.

Just had my service done and he recommended that I change the front tyres as they are down to 3mm, I knew they were low and wouldn't last another 12 months before the car goes back.

The 'legal' limit is 1.6mm, I was just wondering how low people go before changing theirs?

I'm going to let him do the tyres, he's about £25 more than what I can get them for from National tyres, but he's recently had over £6,000 worth on new tyre equipment delivered, so he said zero damage to my alloys and he's closer! :) Not to mention he just saved me £223 on the 2nd service vs the Audi price, so that covers most of the tyres cost!!

PS: I've seen on YT the difference in stopping between 3mm vs 1.6mm but what about 5mm vs 3mm etc????

Depends on the time of year, but I generally let them run down to the markers. If getting on towards winter I'll change them before.

Dealers have started doing this in recent years. "Your tyres are down to 3mm, we recommend you change them today". Is it safety? Or is it a money spinner to extract more money out of you at the service?

As that small patch of rubber is the only thing keeping the car on the road i would change them.
I would like to add my view to this coming from a motorcycling background . tyres of today are vastly complex compounds compared to maybe 10 years ago. you state that small patch of rubber is the only thing keeping the car on the road , this I cannot deny but tread depth is not the most contributing factor involved, most high performance motorcycle tyres today come with hardly a stitch of tread on them and have a contact patch the size of a credit card these in the right hands can be thrown around with lateral forces that would scare the hell out of most people and would never be attainable in a car. regardless of tread depth, most grip nowadays comes from the compound involved in the manufacture and not whether you have 3mm or 1.6mm left

I will go to the legality 1.6mm :) simple

I would always change when they are above the minimum.

Agree the OP should give the business to his Indy but maybe check if they are on Black Circles.

I have used them lots of times and get them fitted at the local McConechy's.

Used National Tyres once - took them 5 attempts to balance the tyres and they still weren't right.

I would always change when they are above the minimum.

Agree the OP should give the business to his Indy but maybe check if they are on Black Circles.

I have used them lots of times and get them fitted at the local McConechy's.

Used National Tyres once - took them 5 attempts to balance the tyres and they still weren't right.
A lad in work said about National tyres, he got a quote online and then when he went in they THEN added extra because he had the TPMS things inside! He wasn't happy.

I looked on Black Circles, he's not on there but he is cheaper by £4 :) lol. Plus I trust him, so any problems and I know he would sort it out.

I would like to add my view to this coming from a motorcycling background . tyres of today are vastly complex compounds compared to maybe 10 years ago. you state that small patch of rubber is the only thing keeping the car on the road , this I cannot deny but tread depth is not the most contributing factor involved, most high performance motorcycle tyres today come with hardly a stitch of tread on them and have a contact patch the size of a credit card these in the right hands can be thrown around with lateral forces that would scare the hell out of most people and would never be attainable in a car. regardless of tread depth, most grip nowadays comes from the compound involved in the manufacture and not whether you have 3mm or 1.6mm left

While I agree the compound makes a huge difference but the tread depth helps cut through standing water so equally important. In the dry a completely bald/slick tyre would provide maximum grip as there is no breaks from the tread between tyre and surface so maximum contact patch between ground and tyre. In the wet you need something to break the water surface so the rubber can make contact with the road and the tread depth does this otherwise the tyre will just sit above water and we all know water has little to no friction.
Difference between 3mm and 1.6mm in the wet would be enough to make a difference between hitting someone/object and not hitting.

Problem surely with letting them get to the marker is that then how do you know exactly what you have without measuring it manually. If your tyres are level with the marker that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re at 2mm. Once at the marker the marker will wear with the rest of the tyre, so you could actually be a lot lower than 2, and even lower than 1.6 potentially. Are am I wrong and missing something?

Problem surely with letting them get to the marker is that then how do you know exactly what you have without measuring it manually. If your tyres are level with the marker that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re at 2mm. Once at the marker the marker will wear with the rest of the tyre, so you could actually be a lot lower than 2, and even lower than 1.6 potentially. Are am I wrong and missing something?

totally correct. Should change as soon as it hits the wear marker.
That only helps if you check regularly otherwise as you said you are wearing the marker down with the tyre.

Reactions: Pook
^This. Tread should be more than the wear indicator.

As an approximate guide, can also do a quick check with a 20p coin. Legal tread should hide the full rim that goes around the outer part of the coin.

Reactions: Pook
I have a problem with my tyres atm. Been feeling like I am going over small bumps. On tyre inspection my indie found tread Lift on the inner face. Moving your fingers over the tread you could feel the difference. A common fault on the Quattro on the rears some thing I never checked when doing wear checks. Worth checking at the same time. Mine have 3mm left but going in for a new set on Wednesday black circle are doing £40 off a set of four Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totally correct. Should change as soon as it hits the wear marker.
That only helps if you check regularly otherwise as you said you are wearing the marker down with the tyre.

^This. Tread should be more than the wear indicator.

As an approximate guide, can also do a quick check with a 20p coin. Legal tread should hide the full rim that goes around the outer part of the coin.

thanks, I’d never really given it that much thought but that seemed to make sense. Just flipped my wife’s tyres back to front, she had 6 on the backs and 3 on the fronts after 3 years of driving. I would have just got new fronts but she’s not going to be driving too much in the upcoming year so just held off. She only kicks around the doors anyway so I think 3 is fine for now.

No ifs or buts, I would change at 2.75 to 3mm. If you do not, and go to the legal limit, please stay off the roads when it rains, snows etc.

Reactions: Philip Davies and pburv
Well got them changed and zero marks on my alloys :icon thumright:

Shocked to see the difference, you don't notice how much they wear down, especially the outer edge
T1
T2

T3

All safe for winter :)

Reactions: Pook and Ron240