How low would you go.....?

Reaction score
I'm considering lowering my motor (below) but can't decide on how low or which springs to go for?? What experiences do people have (especially with 18's) with different springs in terms of:

- Ride quality
- Ride Height

Any opinions welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm pretty sure it's H&R that Ess_Three has on his. Ride quality is very good on his 18s. I was surprised.

IIRC the choice of tyres can make a difference also.

Eibach or H&R.......IMO, but that's not based on my experience just what I know about their general performance.

Are you just going for springs or a spring/shock combo?

Lewy

I used to know a bloke who used to lower cars whilst the springs were still on the car - oxy acytelene at each corner until they were 'roughly the same. I'll see if i can dig out his number for you - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

p.s. car looks sweet.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

I'm pretty sure it's H&R that Ess_Three has on his. Ride quality is very good on his 18s. I was surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is H&Rs Mark.
Ride quality is good...lowering about perfect.
10220091-1afc-02000180-.jpg

Whether its just springs or springs and shocks really depends on cost and peoples experiences. The main thing I want to avoid is a really hard ride ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Ess_three - car looks wicked, thats exactley the look i'm looking for, how much were the springs?

I have H&R 50mm lowered springs and 18" wheels and i have to say the ride is perfect. The car doesnt feel like its lowered even my friends are suprised at the comfortable ride. The performance of the springs too are awesome. I only changed the springs as i couldnt afford to change shocks (will do it later). Heard Eibachs are good too although they are stiffer than the H&R IMHO H&R are the best compromise for ride and performance (and gives it that nice lowered look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif)

50mm on standard shocks? with 18's and no arch mods needed?

I thought 35-40mm was the max on the standard shocks, how wrong I was.

If u want I can show pics, although I did flare the fronts just for piece of mind

but u dont need to flare the arches i did it so my car can look more beefy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you don't mind, it would be nice to be able to compare a 35-40mm to a 50mm drop on 18's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

these are the only pics that would be helpful sorry about the size

XXX_18T.jpg

the back looks high in the pic but its just the angle i took it from heres another pic

12843-audis.jpg

I mailed AmD and QST about the H&R lowering springs for the S3. (Its a mod I'd like to perform eventually, after the brakes, and after chipping. So quite a bit down the line yet.)

Anyway, AmD said:

We can sell you H&R progressive springs which will lower the car by 25mm as
they are a progressively wound spring the ride is ok with standard dampers,
although for a more controllable and sporting ride we recommend using Koni
adjustable dampers.

Cost £320+VAT, but includes fitting and 4 wheel laser alignment

QST said:

We only stock MTM 20mm lowering springs for the S3 as we had problems with
the H&R units. Cost £180.00 + £120.00 fitting + VAT.
They work very well with the standard dampers as they are made by Audi for
MTM so of very high quality.
We have fitted over a 100 sets of these springs with very good feed back.

So I'm confused.

Also, if you go to the H&R web-site www.hrsprings.com, IIRC there are two types of lowering springs. OE Sport and Sport.

So which ones are the ones AmD sell, and which ones are fitted, for example, to Ess_Three's car?

AL

Can't speak highly enough of the Eibach 30mm drop springs on my 1.8T Sport. Superb ride quality, no worse than standard as far as I can tell. But no nasty roll and much better handling. Got mine for £265 fitted inc VAT at Elite.

P.S. Running 17s on mine, theres a pic on another thread. You might want to go lower (however I think they would look fine with 18s), but the lower you go the more matched uprated dampers are required.

Al,
First things first the H&R springs AMD are using can only be the OE Sport version, as the site says 'a subtle change in stance'(or words to that effect) so would suggest a small drop i.e. 25mm, where as the Sport versions will drop the car by approximately 40-50mm (1.5" - 2").....which is far from subtle with any car let alone on top of the S3's already lowered look!

Secondly, one of my collegues who does a lot of tuning work at a garage as his weekend and evening job tells me that the springs that Audi and ABT are using are infact Eibach springs boxed up for the different companies. Now I'm not sure if this is gospel, but I have no reason to doubt him, and he certainly knows what he's on about when it comes to tuning on most cars.

Just my thrupny bits worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Gambba. Sounds reasonable/logical.

Would still be good if someone like Glen (ess_three) for example, could find out exactly which ones he got. Part No perhaps?

AL

AL,

I've got the MTM springs fitted to my car by QST. I can comment that they give a good ride, firm yet not too bumpy / lumpy. Oh and the Audi dealer was fine with them too, when I took it in to get the trackrods done. I dont know whether it was just luck or not though, but if you look at the springs they look like stock OE items.
If the Rolling road day goes ahead as planned I'll take you for a spin, so you can see what they're like for yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Would still be good if someone like Glen (ess_three) for example, could find out exactly which ones he got. Part No perhaps?

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine are whatever AmD sell...
As for part numbers off the springs...not much chance of getting that off my springs, now is there?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AL, why dont u go for something like a H&R coilover kit? You can drop ur ride height to the lowest of the lowest or have it like the 'A-Team' van if u prefer?? I know they cost a bit more but overall they would work brilliantly. In my opinion lowered springs always work better with matched shocks rather than just the original shocks.

Ive got the H&R coilover kit sat in a box in my garage, just waiting for the next bank holiday to get my hands dirty and fit them.

Glen,

No chance of getting them of your springs, you're right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not got the box they came in have you?

MO,

Simple reason: expense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But, as I say this is number 3 on the list of potential mods anyway. Just wanted to find out exactly which model of H&R springs Glen has got, then when the money is there, I can order the right ones.

AL

OK let me get my camera batteries charged up and i will post a load of pics up, and answer all the questions, so in the mean time hang tite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif