How many B5 1.8T Quattro Sports are still about?

Nick101

Boost fiend
Reaction score
On the search for one of these, theres a few about, 3 at the moment that im looking at, two with 145k and one with 165k, is milage an issue as long as servicing has been done?

I know the usualy 1.8t bug bears (oil strainer clogs up, sludge build up, downpipe flexi goes)

Can the diffs cause probs?

Do these use the Haldex system, or are these permanent 4WD?

Anyone on here know of any for sale or selling they're car?

(This isnt a wanted ad, so please dont delete :beerchug:

All i can say is dont just dive straight in to TQS ownership have a long look and the right one will pop up. I went to southhampton for mine after months of searching. And when i turned up it had the rare recaros in which was a bonus !! The drive home was an experiance being the first turbo 4wd id ever driven. Great car still to this date and i dont plan on changing anytime soon.

I reckon the £3200 is ok for that mileage IF there are service records.
I can't work out the colour though... it looks like nogaro, a £662.70 factory extra only available on S4s, and I've never seen it on a QTS before!
The next one, £1295 e bay, has Recaros finished in half leather with the QTS fabric!

Thanks for the reply mate! And having a look round for me. I am after a saloon ideally, should have said. I rang up about that 2nd one on your list for £1295, just had a fair bit spent on it, major service, mot and full health check. Seems good for the money.

I am just after a cheap/fun daily as I'm buying a house at the moment.

What are these like to run as a daily? And is there anything I should be watching out for?

I am tempted to go have a gander at that silver one next weekend.

That's what I thought when I saw that one, thought noggy was reserved for the S/RS Cars.

Have seen another saloon TQS in the same colour on the net too, someone on here has it. Owns a 200SX and a landy IIRC

Much nicer than the A3 even with 236bhp !! They need chipping though and you see about 200 bhp mark. And I've done many miles behind both models and the A4 , whilst not so quick is a much better drive imho.
about 29-32 mpg running around 32-35 on longer runs. They wallow around when suspension bushes worn, new bushes fitted is like night and day ! Had all new front suspension arms late last year with inner lower rear bushes and it felt sooo much better - but has only done 84k from new and one owner , her indoors !
Biggest problems could be the sludge issue that applies to all the 1.8t engines.

I do miss my A3 badly, had a coupe cars since and still wish I hadnt flogged it.

Is A4 seems to fit the bill nicely, as far as looks, price, spec and comfort are concerned. Just want a comfy daily/cruiser.

Are the TQS permanent AWD or haldex?

permanent.
They also need the 312 mms front brake upgrade and decent pads!
I had a A3 T Sport chipped to 182 bhp - ish (IIRC) and it went like stink AND was several mile per gallon more economical -- but still wasn't a patch on my S3 !!!

I was looking at S3s but for the kind of money I am spending, I don't want to touch an S3 really.

I thought the A4 may have te smaller brakes, 288mm up front? It will be nice to have something I can tinker with too.

Anything I should look out for/listen out for when on the test drive?

Rattle from turbo when on overrun (wastegate penny valves go), thudding from the rear (diff carrier bushes), vague steering could mean control arms need replacing. Gear stick slop when letting off (gearbox/engine mounts worn) also lighting of the abs light could mean rear abs pick up ring has cracked, another good thing to do would be to find someone local with vagcom and have it scanned, jot codes down go for a run then scan it again.

A fair bit to look out for then!

Apparently the one I'm looking at has been fully checked and is all good. I know you can't take a dealers word for it. I will have a good look over it if I do go see it. Hope it snows this winter if I do buy it, always wanted AWD :)

That's what I thought when I saw that one, thought noggy was reserved for the S/RS Cars.

Have seen another saloon TQS in the same colour on the net too, someone on here has it. Owns a 200SX and a landy IIRC

That would be me then I guess :)

I can confirm that nogaro blue tqs's do exist :)

Yep, you are the person in question!

Not jealous of car collection at all... :p

Love the TQS in noggy, fancy selling? Lol

B***ards!

The TQS i am looking at has a tow bar fitted, is this likely to cause any problems if it has been used as a tow car?

Apparently it doesnt have twin electric, so probally hasnt been pulling a caravan. Could this put extra wear/strain on the diff/drivetrain?

Also, how hard are the tow bars to remove?

As Bradderz say wait for the right one, I have one with recaros and one without and personally recaros are a must for me. Later ones (2000+) have things like oil level sensors, digital clock, door open warnings etc that you dont get on the early 99 cars.

AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO SPORT as of 2012 Q1 812 Licensed and 78 SORN

They are getting pretty rare then no ? I have 2 for sale...still projects though !

Cheers for that. Pretty rare then!

That silver one is sold now :sob:

Back to searching...

Were xenon's an option?

Going to look at one tomorrow and it has headlight washers, dont know if its just the washers as an option or xenons aswell.

Looks a good-un, 69k full audi history, one owner, recaro's

Should the cam belt have been done?

Sounds excellent.
Yes Xenons were £940 extra but then you get levellers/washers .Recaros would have been another £855
Most definately,it should be on its third by now, every 5 years. I think our last belt only did about 20k miles but it was just over five years old and I'm just not prepared to take a chance ( although the first belt was six years old but had done 60k miles.)

I would check mot's online 69k is low and a £20 eBay cable is all it takes to adjust mileage to whatever you want it to read

I would check mot's online 69k is low and a £20 eBay cable is all it takes to adjust mileage to whatever you want it to read
2nd on that ! Seen so many clocked cars and it's common practice especially if the service history is "missing" !

I agree with sentiments but this has full service details, however a quick check takes only a few minutes !!
Ours has only 82k but I have all MOTs service records every bit of paper for odds & ends etc ( as indeed I have for my 1985 80 Sport, I bought new - now on 112k !!

Well I got it! Swapped my Ibiza cupra for it.

75k, fully stamped history with Audi, checked MOTs too and was all good.

Body work is a little tatty, as are the wheels, but the interior is mint.

Only downside is the ABS light is on, he plugged it in for me and we had a look, rear abs speed sensor. Hopfully change that and all will be good! :D

I will get some over the weekend once I has had a bath, it's absolutely filthy and covered with flies.

Took 5 hours to get back from Kent, ******
M25 at rush hour...

Drove lovely, and gotta say the Recaro's are very comfy, only annoying thing is this ABS light, hate lights on the dash.

I have an A4 B5 1.8t sport quattro, one of the limited edition silver ones december 1999, white instrument dials and half leather recaro's, black headlining/interior, titanium door inserts, it seems to get an awful lot of admiring looks from people, but I can never work out why - are they really that rare ? I have a full Audi service history from the day the car was registered, regular servicing and when I last had the cam belts changed by Audi, the car came back and was incredibly fast than before, felt like they had doubled up on the engine, I recently changed all 4 wheel bearings myself so the car feels like you are glued to the road again with the quattro drive, am i right in saying the diff is a "torsen" sports diff ? The best bit is when we had snow early part of this year the grip you get is out of this world, everyone else is sliding and skidding around all over the place and you just drive forward and they glare at you with such envy lol !!! :laugh:

Are you sure yours is a 1.8T quattro? :laugh:

I have an A4 B5 1.8t sport quattro, one of the limited edition silver ones december 1999, white instrument dials and half leather recaro's, black headlining/interior, titanium door inserts, it seems to get an awful lot of admiring looks from people, but I can never work out why - are they really that rare ? I have a full Audi service history from the day the car was registered, regular servicing and when I last had the cam belts changed by Audi, the car came back and was incredibly fast than before, felt like they had doubled up on the engine, I recently changed all 4 wheel bearings myself so the car feels like you are glued to the road again with the quattro drive, am i right in saying the diff is a "torsen" sports diff ? The best bit is when we had snow early part of this year the grip you get is out of this world, everyone else is sliding and skidding around all over the place and you just drive forward and they glare at you with such envy lol !!! :laugh:

Are they part of the disc on these? Or are they separate behind the hub as usual.

What fault code will a broken/cracked one bring up?

Easy/cheap to fix?

Are they hard to replace? Will it be the same one that's coming up as a faulty sensor on vagcom?

I bought mine with 103k now on 107k. There is nothing else at this money that gives you a turbo, 4wd and a classy interior and refinement. Only thing its cost me is new tyres and coming up to the brakes needing doing. The problems listed are par for the course imo and what you should expect when buying a 12 year car. I noticed quite a few rust on the front wings and on the rear tailgate handle.

Economy wise, there not cheap to run. Expensive to insure but they do miss the 2001 tax hike. Im averaging 27mpg on a mix of country and town driving.

I like that fact they are rare and remind me of that fantastic BTCC car on the mid 90s. Its a shame there not numbered.