How many miles did your new car have?

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
Just a question for those who have collected brand new cars.

My last 2 Audi's, from two different dealers have had about 40 miles on the clock, and both times I thought this was high. Perhaps both of mine were pulled off the line for road testing, which I think they do at random at the factory?

What's the norm on here?

That is a bit high, vauxhall corsa vxr racing edition 60 plate had 4 miles on the clock,don't quite know why when you buy a new car it can't be brand new and have 0 on the clock because effectively it's not brand new is it if it's got miles on the clock????

I'd imagine it's because of the logistics of storing and moving them about. They get driven out the factory, probably loaded on and off several lorrys, maybe into a storage facility's. They can't exactly be moved about without rotating the wheels

All new cars iv known usually had 40+ miles on them

Mine probably didn't as I lve next door to the vauxhall garage I got mine from, obviously they can't move the cars without the wheels moving (they could if they really wanted to I bet they do if your buying a million pound car but anyway) surely it doesn't take 40 miles up by taking it out the factory sticking it on a couple of lorrys to it's final destination, does it?

Plus I ordered mine just before the 60 plate came out so I suppose they made it and shipped it straight out the factory to me

You don't live next door to peugoet garage by any chance lol, see I thought 40 miles was a bit high for a brand new car

You don't live next door to peugoet garage by any chance lol, see I thought 40 miles was a bit high for a brand new car

Haha, nope, I live many miles away.

40 miles does sound high for a brand new car. I wouldn't complain but I wouldn't be happy about it at all.
Surely there's no need to do that many miles in it before handing it over. That's about two days of driving for your average 9-10k miles per year driver!

I bet what it is you get the little dreamers that either deliver or move the cars for transportation get a little happy that they are in such a nice new car that they take it for a quick test drive round their town, music blaring picking up girls ect then spray a bit of tyre shine on the wheels to make it look brand new, have you ever noticed your car could be filthy as f**k but a bit of tyre shine on the wheels will make it look a whole lot better??

Surely it depends on how much they rag it before handing it over

41 miles on my 8P3, 26 on my 8P2.

I think it's excessive. Hardly a new car by the time you get it.

That last couple of company cars I've had and work had range from 1 mile to 120 miles.
It all depends on how they are delivered it to you.

First works van had 1mile on the clock. We had two identical vans for me and another engineer, we was trailing the new connects and other gadgetry stuff in side. They was transported everywhere on the back of transporters.

New connect delivered in July had 120miles on it, the company we bought the van from drove it from their place to our office. Work owns their cars/vans.
Managers 61 plate golf had 50 miles on it.

I think it all depends on what happens from construction to you.
I use to do some part time helping hand work at Toyota in Bristol.
All cars was fresh off the ferry/transporter to us and their mileage. Most started off with almost no miles but in time that would very greatly. It depended on their location with in the docks and how many times they are driven from that location to the workshop and back.
Some cars, like the high performance or luxury cars normally had more miles on them than the normal cars, you can properly guess why.

Some cars, like the high performance or luxury cars normally had more miles on them than the normal cars, you can properly guess why.

Yup, the durty robbing mathar farkers!

Many cars are manufactured and then stored. I know a couple of old air bases that are used for vehicle storage and the cars are often moved about that storage fascility. In fact a well known site has Vauxhalls stored at the end of the runway, which is odd as it's at the bottom of the main runway that people use for vehicle speed testing so have had cars doing 200mph at them. lol

Right I'll get the baraclavers and guns, and you supply the info I'm getting me a brand new car lol.

i thought the dealer could reset the odo on the miles if it haddnt passed a certain mileage?

Take your pick lol

Google Maps

I've been in there a few times as we have some equipment on some of the cranes. I often wondered if they just leave the keys in the cars otherwise you'd have to walk around with a wheelbarrow full of keys all the time. Also the first time I went there we just drove in past security and waved. The second time we had to get passes printed up and go through screening about who we were before being allowed in

40 miles is fine, I hand over between 20 and 30 new retail vehicles a month and none have less than 30 miles.

The clocks on Audi's can be reset within 100 miles of being new by the main dealer, so if you kick off they can wind them back.

So next question is what happens to get to that sort of mileage? I mean I know there will be a bit whilst at the factory, maybe a lap of a test track, rolling onto / off of transporters, ships etc etc.

This still doesn't add up to 30-40 miles worth surely?

So next question is what happens to get to that sort of mileage? I mean I know there will be a bit whilst at the factory, maybe a lap of a test track, rolling onto / off of transporters, ships etc etc.

This still doesn't add up to 30-40 miles worth surely?

A lot of the time the vehicles will be transfered from dealer to dealer, if you wanted a white car with red leather for instance and lived in Plymouth then Plymouth could order it from factory and make you wait 6/8 weeks or put 50 miles on it driving it from Exeters stock to get it in a week. Personally I tell my customers this and most are fine with it, it is a bit naughty of them not to have mentioned it.

The vehicles are still in transport mode at this point, so no rev counter, no radio or central locking etc. They are usually speed limited to 60mph too.

The road test post PDI is usually 5 miles then back on the ramp.

Mine was built to order.

I'm not annoyed about this btw, i'm just interested to know where the mileage comes from as I wouldn't expect more than a couple whilst they move it round during shipping etc

Mine was built to order.

I'm not annoyed about this btw, i'm just interested to know where the mileage comes from as I wouldn't expect more than a couple whilst they move it round during shipping etc

How long did the order take? Factory orders for Audi are usually 6-8 weeks.

I havent had a new audi before but my last two cars were both new vauxhall astra vxr's and one had 4miles and the other 9miles when I picked them up. However as said above most new cars can have there clocks reset under 100miles.

149 km only will do celebrations after crossing 150

I've had 2 new Audi's and they've both had less than 10 miles on the clock when I got them. Dad got a new Q7 too, and I think his was the same. I've got to say I'm suprised that you can buy a brand new car and it have over 50 miles on the clock!

6 miles on a VW Golf GT Sport TSI 170 from Whiterose VW - skipton.

Not had a car from brand new since, probably won't have one brand new again unless my company get their fingers out and sort me an A1.