How many miles has your audi lasted?

paulious

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am interested in seeing how long these engines generally last for. Post your odometer readings here :)

180,476 miles

I've had my a3 T-plate for a year and a half now. It used to by its previous owner mainly on motorways and has apparently been well looked after, but convienently they have lost the log book!(managed to knock off alot of money for this) I've done 25,000 miles in it so far, mostly long motorway journeys and the engine seems to run sweet as a nut. I have done or had the following work done over the past year and a half.

New PAS pipe

New Battery (some idiot put a cheap halfords torch battery in before i bought it)

New front and rear pads and discs

New (something to do with rear suspension) that caused knocking noise.

Reweld the heat shield under the mid exhaust as the bolts had rusted completely

New siren unit as batteries leaked all over circuit board causing sporadic alarm when locked

New Airfilter pipe as plastic had perished at the manifold (thanks AA man for ingenious temporary repair! )

New Temperature sender unit fitted by audi which subsequently broke a week later!

All in all though everything mechanical with the engine has worked fine and still pulls cleanly, no dodgy exhaust emmisions. I did get it properly serviced by audi when i bought it and have done subsequent services myself on the dot using magnatec 10w40 oil and audi recommended air and oil filters. Note also i had the cambelt changed immediately after buying it as there was no record of when it was last done.

I'm going to run this car into the ground now until something major goes wrong where it's just worth scrapping.

My '99 T, 1.6 SE shows 101K, i've only recently bought it but runs ok slight hunt for idle (typical VAG!). I've done front and rear disks and pads, air filter and new plugs. Seems to be returning very good MPG, surely the only reason to have a 1.6! One of the flappy door pockets has broken off (not me!) and the other pops open every time you shut the door. Gearbox is a bit stroppy until it warms up, other than that every thing seems to work!......thats cursed it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha i was thinking that on the way back today, something is bound to go wrong now! Yeah my idle revs hunt around alittle bit especially when using the clutch alot like reverse parking etc. I did improve that though by giving all the air inlet pipes a good clean, but it's not brilliant. With regards to the MPG i started another thread on here about the best MPG possible from our engine and i managed to get something in excess of 50mpg on a long (slow) motorway journey, so that does make me think the engine can't be in too bad condition. It does use a very small amount of oil, probably a cup full every 5000 miles but according to audi this is normal?!

My second gear is abit chrunchy before it has warmed up abit as i think the synch mesh is going but hopefully if i treat it well i should get another few 10thousand miles before it goes :)

As for yours minty, your still polishing the cylinder heads hehe. Hopefully if you look after it you should be able to get mileages upto 180,000 and beyond. these do seem to be well build beasts

my 1998 1.8T sport is on 174k currently, Revo'd to 184bhp at 130k, stage 2 Custom Code with a ko3S and 240bhp from 150k, still going strong as ever!

Amazing engines, without question.

I'm just about to rebuild a mk3 golf 2l 16V engine that's done 157K standard. Its going into my Mk1 caddy to beef it up so I'm rebuilding to get the most from it whilst pushing it some more with cams, port, polish etc.
I bought a donor car for £255 to remove the engine from it hadn't run for 6months or even turned over! so i didn't have much hope!but with a new battery and on the second attempt it fired and ran sweet for about 5 mins on really old fuel, till it ran out. That's German Quality!

My T99 S3 only has 58k Miles on it, it was pruchased with 25k miles back in 2000, so pleant more miles left in the beast. My family workhorse Passat TDI had 76k miles on it in 2001, and now it has 162k miles, recently had cambelt done, couple of CV boots and the rear shock absorbers was swopped for some fresh KYB ones which made a huge difference to the ride! Other parts changed on this car is Water Temp sensor once, MAF sensor once, and Brake Switch twice all done by myself, the thing will go on forever.

Good job :) I'm so glad i bought german, my friends cars, mainly french have all blown up or had something seriously wrong with them yet my audi keeps on going despite having a long hard life on the motorway everyday. Just out of interest you said you had the CV boots done, i think mine might be on the way out as there is a creaking noise when going over speedbumps etc. i vaugely remember audi saying that it was leaking?! Is it easy and cheap to replace yourself?

Good job :) I'm so glad i bought german, my friends cars, mainly french have all blown up or had something seriously wrong with them yet my audi keeps on going despite having a long hard life on the motorway everyday. Just out of interest you said you had the CV boots done, i think mine might be on the way out as there is a creaking noise when going over speedbumps etc. i vaugely remember audi saying that it was leaking?! Is it easy and cheap to replace yourself?

On the Passat, they are a PITA! Not done an A3, but I would have thought it's a lot easier. It can be a dirty job though, so if you can get it done cheap by someone else, I would rather pay them.

1997 1.9TDI Have it a year now. 144k miles. Did 23k in last year. Car going perfect and is best car ive had for defs.

Parts changed:

t-blet and tensioners
water pump
front and back disc and pads
oil, filter, air filter every 4k
Cat
passengers inner cv boot
think i need new passenger cv joint thou
passenger track rod end

a long lasting engine is one thing (i am on 72k), the auto tranny is another. it lasted 7ok...my record is the old golf (wolfsgurg edition)..250k...

im on about 77k now on my 2002 S3, on my previous 2000 1.8T Sport A4, i had sold it with about 140k, previous to that, I had a Mk3 Golf which was sold with 145k on it....all running fine with no probs at all!!!

A mate of mine has a 97 A4 TDi, with 255k on the clock with the original engine and its still going strong!!!

Built to last.....I would say so!!!

46k on a V reg 1.8 SE.
Still looks brand new due to my detailing obsession :p

Just coming up to four years of ownership and its been a pleasure to own! I will try to keep it for as long as I can!

Now on 78k

Timing & Waterpump done
Pads and Discs (Upgraded)
Suspension (upgraded)
Wheels (upgraded)

Problems
1 Coilpack
CV Boot
Alternator Tensioner
DIS
Siren - Replaced under Warranty
MAF - replace under warranty
02 Sensor X2
Dead Battery (Original)
Worn mats
Worn antenna base

Just needs a remap now;)

Bought mine with 107k on the clock back in March and it's up to 118k already! Rather strange actually cos I normally do bang on 10k/miles year!

She's had about £3k worth of work to keep her on the road but luckily half of that was covered under warranty. She does need new discs and pads all round and a new exhaust tho so that's more expense for 2009!

36k on my 2002 52 s3 nothing wrong just rubber antena base needing changed.

a few miles from 120k. engine just been fully rebuilt ready for big turbo

91k just hit on this S3 and 125k ish on my old 1.8T..... and that was still going strong, all up until the dealer got 2 miles down the road and the water pump went haha

UPDATE : small problems to welcome in the new year :p

182K miles now but have has developed a slight engine noise -

I've noticed during the last few days that as close as i can describe it, a vibrating whirring noise coming from the front of the car that sends small vibrations through the car. I had noticed it just after having the front tyres changed so took it back in and the guy checked the brakes and wheel balance and all checked out fine.

The problem seems to occur around 1.5k revs upto 2.5k, particularly noticable when in a high gear and decelerating through that rev range. Depressing the clutch and putting into neutral has no effect, the noise persists. However if the car is stationary and i rev the engine slowly to redline there is no abnormal noises at all. I might embaress myself here but could it be the flywheel bearing or something? The only other thing i could think of was a piece of plastic trim underneath might be flapping about like a twig in a gale at a certain speed (resonant frequency). To be honest though that is probably wishful thinking.

I'm going to have a look under the car tonight, see what i can see just any pointers would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Happy Christmas btw everyone

Could be a wheel bearing? If it gets louder as you get faster, and dipping the clutch has no effect, try driving somewhere safe and rocking the car from side to side, see if it gets any louder!

lol, somewhere safe :p yeah i had a go, it is quite difficult to tell to be honest. i've checked all the heatshields and the undervalence plastics all seem to be fine. Took both wheels off and inspected the brakes, all seems pretty solid and in order. I did notice when the car was on the ramp that when turning the NS wheel it felt 'rough' the brake pad was clear so could be wheel bearing issue?? Obviously i can't spin it up to driving speeds but i'm pretty sure this roughness would be indicitive of wheel bearings so when some cash comes in i will get an indepedant garage to have a look suggesting it could be either that or flywheel. Thanks for the pointers :) Have a good new year

Sorry to revive a dead thread but hit the 200K mark today :) I wonder how long my whining diff will last before it locks up and i end up in a hedge!

see my thread in general car chat section

audi a6 thats close to the half million mile mark, no joke

I thought 200K was good!! Please could you post the link i'm retarded and can't find it.

86k so far, stage one mapped for the last year with no issues

I wonder if upgrades do in fact reduce the life of the engine...Its looking like thats not the case given some mileages on here! Deisels don't count IMO!

lol no diseals dont count! Ermm it would really only affect the life of the engine if you drive the tits off it :p With the thinking that an engines life should really be measured in revolutions not mileage so if you drive everywhere in first gear at 7k revs the engine isn't going to last as long as the guy who drives you home on a Saturday night in 5th gear everywhere, and that's probably fueled by Lucifers ****.

just pased 197k for me now, and still going strong mechanically!

I've got a few little niggles with electrics, but the good old AGU lump is as sound as ever!

Good to hear Prawn! Let me guess electrically was the wiper relay and possibly the battery leaking in the alarm unit that sits in the boot.

1.8T on 144k. Rolling road'd at 142bhp at the end of last year (Dyno Dynamics). 5bhp lost over that mileage and 11 years isn't bad going in my book!

Had a few hoses and suspension bit changed along with the battery and MAF, but nothing major.

Mind you, not as good as my old Polo GT that somhow gained 4bhp over the course of 18 years...

181,000 miles for me at the moment, only thing thats stops working is the aircon!! just what i need in this weather!

polished001-1.jpg

215k miles on a 1998 un-modded Audi A3 1.8T. Runs like a dream. Amazing Engine!!!

my last 99 agu a3 left my ownership in fantastic condition at 198k miles, and it wasnt like i was pouring money into it to keep it going it was a brilliant car with plenty of life left in it!!