How many passes, confusion ? Flex XCE forced rotation but not specific to that machine.

Nickyc

Reaction score
Hi folks, I wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction at all. I have now got the above machine after putting it off for so long, I have watched all sorts videos and tutorials and have become a little confused between 2 techniques used on the Forensics channel and the one on the Apex Detailing channel which i hope someone could explain to me.

On the Forensics channel, he was doing a tutorial on the 3401 VRG on a pretty trashed black VW, he did 6 passes with a medium pad (he said do 90 seconds to 2 minutes per set, but he must have been going much longer than that). Anyway, once he did the first set, not all the defects went away, so he did another set with the same combo and it was then at the right level. My question is, surely you wouldnt want to do that all over the car would you ? Would he have been better off doing another test panel but with a firmer pad to see if that got the damage out in 1 set rather than doing 2 sets with the same pad and compound combo ?

Now on the Apex channel (the bit I'm confused with), he only does 2 passes, checks defect removal and if not enough does another test with a more aggressive pad.

My confusion is why is there such a difference in the number of passes they are both doing per set ?

Confusing the hell out of me.

I hope someone can explain it to me

Everyone has a mildly different technique but the basic issue is to take a good look at your paint and estimate what type of defects you have and whether they look heavy, moderate or light. Pick a pad and a compound that works together. tape off all the rubber and plastic parts and then have a go at it. If you want to try 2 passes then ok. check out your correction and if not to your satisfaction then do more passes until you are happy. If not happy with the defects corrected with that pad then go up a pad strength and try again. after refine your work with lesser strength pads.
Let the pad and compound do the work and give the compound enough time to do it job. You really need to be patient

Hi folks, I wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction at all. I have now got the above machine after putting it off for so long, I have watched all sorts videos and tutorials and have become a little confused between 2 techniques used on the Forensics channel and the one on the Apex Detailing channel which i hope someone could explain to me.

On the Forensics channel, he was doing a tutorial on the 3401 VRG on a pretty trashed black VW, he did 6 passes with a medium pad (he said do 90 seconds to 2 minutes per set, but he must have been going much longer than that). Anyway, once he did the first set, not all the defects went away, so he did another set with the same combo and it was then at the right level. My question is, surely you wouldnt want to do that all over the car would you ? Would he have been better off doing another test panel but with a firmer pad to see if that got the damage out in 1 set rather than doing 2 sets with the same pad and compound combo ?

Now on the Apex channel (the bit I'm confused with), he only does 2 passes, checks defect removal and if not enough does another test with a more aggressive pad.

My confusion is why is there such a difference in the number of passes they are both doing per set ?

Confusing the hell out of me.

I hope someone can explain it to me
Maybe doing 2 less aggressive sets rather than 1 aggressive set will cause no holograms therefore only needing the single stage rather than refining afterwards?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I have just done my car with a DA polisher, Black s3 8v saloon (lockdown job!!) using a Sealey DP149 and 3M pads and 3M perfect it compounds, the car was in good condition apart from some really deep scratches on the bonnet, roof and boot lid where I think someone had used one of these silicone paddles as the scratches ran in straight lines through all the panels, I have not got all the scratches out as I don't know how far I can go I have already done several passes and am worried about going through the paint. Is there a rough guide to how many passes you can do?? the car is looking fantastic but I would just like tho have the confidence to 'have one last go'
On the good panels the 3M compounds and pads have made a fantastic job, a little bit on the expensive side but fantastic. I plan to use Zymol carbon when I am satisfied I have done all I can.
Until then the car does not need to go anywhere and is safe in the garage..........

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then its game over im afraid. Watching lots of content on YouTube apart from heavier compounds and different pads techniques etc you could may be look at wet sanding them mate.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The safe way is to do test areas using the least aggressive pad/polish combination. Machine polish then inspect if there is no cut then try the next aggressive pad & try again until you find the correct combination. Working up to some tape then peeling off helps to see the difference. Good luck

Nearly there !!!!
Bodywork polished s

I would say go with the less aggressive combo even if it takes more time and passes especially for someone new to it.
Remember you are taking a thin layer off the clear coat with every pass and the more aggressive the pad/compound combo the more you take off. I alway think it’s easier to work another pass than to think oh sh1t I’ve taken way too much off. You can’t put the clear coat back on at that point.
Another thing to bear in mind watching these YouTube videos is that different cars has different clear coats. Some are hard and some(especially ones that’s been sprayed) are very soft so the technique will vary depending on the car. Remember my old Honda with factory paint was like butter so the least aggressive combo worked really well but my mates boxster was a pain with a really hard clear coat even the most aggressive combo we had barely moved the paint.