How many Sportbacks

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
An interesting snippet of information I picked up from the letters page in this month's Audi Driver magazine. The writer ask about the percentage of Sportbacks to other A3s sold in the UK and the figures given by Audi UK are, that up to the middle of November, they had sold about 30,000 A3s here. Of these 65% were Sportbacks, 24% were the 3-door version and 11% were Cabriolets.

That surprises me. The difference doesn't seem tha apparent on the roads or when looking at used cars

It surprises me that there are only 2.7x as many Sportbacks as 3-doors to be honest - I swear that the vast vast majority of A3s I see are Sportbacks and the 3-door seems relatively rare by comparison. Personally the 3-door suits me better as I prefer the looks, it's a rarer sight on the roads and I hardly ever have anyone in the back and prefer the larger doors.

It surprises me that there are only 2.7x as many Sportbacks as 3-doors to be honest - I swear that the vast vast majority of A3s I see are Sportbacks and the 3-door seems relatively rare by comparison. Personally the 3-door suits me better as I prefer the looks, it's a rarer sight on the roads and I hardly ever have anyone in the back and prefer the larger doors.

Not sure when the 30,000 total started. Is all A3s since 1998. If so there were quite a few years before the Sportback was even available which could skew the figures somewhat. It would be interesting to no the figures for just the last few years. I would think the percentage of Sportbacks would be higher.

Not sure when the 30,000 total started. Is all A3s since 1998. If so there were quite a few years before the Sportback was even available which could skew the figures somewhat. It would be interesting to no the figures for just the last few years. I would think the percentage of Sportbacks would be higher.

Thinking about it the 30,000 must be just this year as there were 57,000+ Golfs sold in 2009. So what I was saying was a load of rubbish, as usual!!!

The %age has probably swapped in the years the Sportback has been out (ie sales probably over took the 3dr in 06/07). In new car terms in 2010 the Sportback does look more current, the 3-dr is getting on a bit now BUT does still look very good for it's age, just that the Sportback looks that bit more contemporary next to the rest of Audi's line-up IMO.

The fact Audi are only considering the RS3 in Sportback form suggests they think the same IMO.

The %age has probably swapped in the years the Sportback has been out (ie sales probably over took the 3dr in 06/07). In new car terms in 2010 the Sportback does look more current, the 3-dr is getting on a bit now BUT does still look very good for it's age, just that the Sportback looks that bit more contemporary next to the rest of Audi's line-up IMO.

The fact Audi are only considering the RS3 in Sportback form suggests they think the same IMO.

Agree with all that! Dont think i've seen a 60 plate 3dr to be honest but literally hundreds of sportbacks.............in white!

We had a loaner 60 Plate 3 door (Black) before our YUK white SB Loaner arrived.. Can't wait until the Black BE arrives!

I personally think the SB looks a bit to much like a boring family car :puke::puke::puke: (ie. Vauxhall astraish for when the family's growing up) where as the 3 D has better lines to it :p:p:p:p:p

I personally think the SB looks a bit to much like a boring family car :puke::puke::puke: (ie. Vauxhall astraish for when the family's growing up) where as the 3 D has better lines to it :p:p:p:p:p

I agree mate, but each to their own. :)
Have I asked you whereabouts you're from in Cheshire before? (probably)

+1

Probably another factor in it is that a lot of company car schemes insist on you getting a 5 door car.

True, I bet if they divided private vs company/lease sales then the 3dr is more likely to be a private buy. Having said that, every A3 (3 or 5dr) I've viewed for sale had been a company car from auction with the exception of one private owned-from-new Sportback!

True, I bet if they divided private vs company/lease sales then the 3dr is more likely to be a private buy. Having said that, every A3 (3 or 5dr) I've viewed for sale had been a company car from auction with the exception of one private owned-from-new Sportback!

I would imagine that most cars sold at auction sites are ex-company cars. Most individuals who own an reasonably new A3 will often trade-in with a dealer or sell privately. Personally having owned a total of 7 A3s, the first five were 3-door versions and I'm now on my second Sportback and I much prefer the Sportback as do my passengers. All my A3s have been traded-in with a dealer for my next one. I've always got a good trade-in price plus a decent discount on the new car and absolutely no hassle. Drive to the dealer in the 'old' one and drive away in the new one.

Yes, I think many companies request you get a 5dr car, especially if you're in sales etc and could potentially be carrying clients.

I have heard that some companies insist on 5-door cars but this is usually because the "owners" will be taking customers and others out in it.

I'm on my third company A3 and they've all been 3-doors :)

I would imagine that most cars sold at auction sites are ex-company cars. Most individuals who own an reasonably new A3 will often trade-in with a dealer or sell privately. Personally having owned a total of 7 A3s, the first five were 3-door versions and I'm now on my second Sportback and I much prefer the Sportback as do my passengers. All my A3s have been traded-in with a dealer for my next one. I've always got a good trade-in price plus a decent discount on the new car and absolutely no hassle. Drive to the dealer in the 'old' one and drive away in the new one.

Yea, there's very few A3s in the private sales, the trade seems to love them so they all stay in the trade. And trade-ins for buyers are always hassle free even though you're giving away £1000s over the years for the privilege. I've done it once only because I got a great deal as you may have (trade in was same as I could hope to sell the car privately and the sticker price was the same as other cars the same age/miles too). If you're trading yours in what sounds like every year or so(?) then they will go straight on an AUDI forecourt, but the 3/4 year old fleet cars/bigger milers will always go through the auction and bought by the traders. I think as values drop for the older ones the private sales will start to rocket, it's just that the early 8Ps are still going for strong money.

As an aside, I sold my low mileage 30,000mile 56-plate 2.0TDI Sport privately recently; despite advertising it at £1000 less than a trader would ask, and up to £2500 less that some AUDI dealers are asking for a similar age/mile car I didn't get a great deal of calls. I did get someone obsessed with telling me it was worth much less (was the lowest mileage 56-plate 2.0 TDI Sport in the country for the price I was asking) but in the end it sold for near the asking price anyway...to a trader LOL. The biggest problem selling privately or cars in general is the finance boys who just haven't got the cash to buy outright, which is why a trader who may have a similar car for £1k more will get more buyers as they'll take in old trade-ins or offer finance, plus the confidence they are percieved to give a buyer in terms of "warranty" (although they generally don't mean jack! lol).

Even though my Sportback is an S-Line for some reason the 3dr Sport I had before felt nicer inside but it might be because it was literally as new and the Sportback is a bit leggy. The gloomy dark pillars/roof lining doesn't help (it doesnt feel as spacious from the driver's seat IMO).

Last edited:
Agree with you c_w about the gloomy S-Line interior, one of the reasons we like the Open Sky Option. An alternative is to consider the Sport option on A3 and 5 with potential for lighter seats and roof linings brightens up the inside significantly.