How many times do you...

According to Bryan's report, your average paint readings were around 110 microns with hgiher readings around resprayed parts. Using a PC with say Menzerna Intensive Polish 3.02 on a polishing pad slowly over an area will remove about 1 micron, maybe 2! So I would say that you have quite a few PC sessions still to go! No danger. You probably would not need to use say Power Gloss (heavy compound) with the PC as it's not great breaking it down, although I have spent ages on the PC with it. Now you've had you car detailed, IP should be all you have to use in future, at the most.

Personally, I'll machine the fine swirling on my own car about once a year in springtime, maybe twice a year at a push. Like your, mine has been done, and I should only really need to use Final Finish Menzerna (106FA) on a polishing pad.

The real issue is the thickness of the clearcoat when machine polishing, and not the total thickness of primer, paint and clearcoat combined. So, a total reading of 110 that Bryan got would allow you to make a judgement as to what machine/pad/polish combo to use. There are more expensive gauges out there (approx £1600 upwards) that might be give a clue to how thick the actual clearcoat is. But even then, it is not 100% exact due to the dubious boundary that the paint and clearcoat happen to combine to make! So, again it helps judgement and is not to be taken as gospel. For example if it shows a thin reading, say 60 microns, on bumpers then it could mean the paint AND clearcoat is 60 microns so a pro might go with the PC rather than the rotary.

I hope this is okay but basically it should be no probs using the PC a good few times! And, taking your time you will get good results with it, particularly now you've got a healthy fresh layer after Bryan's work.

Get yourself a basic paint gauge, Eshrules is running a group order on DW for £130. Worth getting one. When you get around 95 microns left, then get advice or sell the car!!!!!

Richard may probably want to add the pro's perspective on this one.

Hope this helps,

JOHN:icon_thumright:

Thanks John I have made my mind up and a good idea of yours to do it in spring. The difference it made was unreal, Bryan made it go from grey to black.

I am off to New Jersey on Monday so I will pick up one...who knows I might be able to loose the reciept in the expenses. I already have a 110v transformer at work I can use.

No problems Steve,

To make things easier in the springtime, look after the safe washing of your car so that any induced marring is only slight and doesn't go deep.

And keep the oxidation at bay by keeping the paint well protected with your wax/sealant.

Enjoy NJ!:icon_thumright:

I cant really add much to what John has said (damn he's good!), but one thing to think about is going for an Ultimate Detailing Machine rather than a PC. The PC is good, but the prototype UDM we tried was better, particularly seeing as you will be dealing with Audi paint (the UDM offers more cut when you need it compared to the PC, other than that, it's virtually the same). :)

I will keep the wax topped up and it's the 2 bucket method and hose spray from now on.

I missed that Rich I will look into the UDM, pity you don't stock either of them.

I have a neighbour who always say you not washing it again are you. They have a couple of wrecks so I can have a go on their car when I get one.

steve1975l said:
I have a neighbour who always say you not washing it again are you. They have a couple of wrecks so I can have a go on their car when I get one.

Give me their phone number:icon_thumright: