How much damage have I done?

Fourcircles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently replaced my pads and discs (all four) on my 2011 A3 2.0T. This is the first time I have attempted this, but it seemed pretty straight forward until...

Brake fluid starting p***ing out from behind the disc as I was pushing the caliper back in! I realised straight away what I'd done - forgot to remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir.

Since then it has been dripping very slowly, although strangely the reservoir still seems full so I'm not sure whether it's gravity is getting rid of the spillage.

Should I take it in or see how I go? What is the likely diagnosis?

I've also noticed that there is a knocking noise when braking. Could this be related?

Ps. Mintex pads, mtec dimpled grooved discs (not sure if this is important)

Thanks

Pads could be loose in the carriers, this could be the knocking, tbh you should clean up the fluid with brake cleaner & see if it continues to drip, as you may have torn a seal, ideally you should minimally lubricate the seals before winding back so they don't tear when the piston is turned.

Pads could be loose in the carriers, this could be the knocking, tbh you should clean up the fluid with brake cleaner & see if it continues to drip, as you may have torn a seal, ideally you should minimally lubricate the seals before winding back so they don't tear when the piston is turned.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check the pads tomorrow - I thought loose pads may have been the cause.

If I have torn a seal, where is it likely to be and is it an expensive repair?

Cheers

There should be no leakage of brake fluid what so ever. I am afraid that your work needs inspecting by a professional straight away.
I would not drive a car in this condition due to the potential of brake failure if you loose too much fluid.
Sorry to be dramatic but it is true!

Reactions: doctor46goat
It should NOT leak when you push the pads in.
Also when you did the rear did you have the piston wind in tool?

Ok I'll get it booked in. There was no leak prior to this so my assumption is that I have damaged one of the seals. It seems to be near to the metal brake line behind the wheel. Is this an easy fix?

I did use a rewind tool for the rear pistons. They retracted with no problems at all. There does however seem to be a knocking noise coming from the rear offside wheel when braking so I'll need to whip everything off and start again!

Cheers

Just an update for anyone with the same problem... I stripped everything back down and used brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean everything, the calipers, the hubs, the inside of the alloys and then made sure everything was nice and tight. The brake pads are sat in metal brackets. Check that these are not bent or loose. Put everything back together and hey presto! No knocking.

As for the 'leak' I've cleaned everything up with break cleaner and realised that the leak was not coming from the brake line, it had found its way through the cap which luckily was the weakest point as it was not on too tight. A stupid mistake that could have cost me a stint in the garage and a lot of time and money (probably)

Cheers

Reactions: Scottyg