Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Half a litre or under

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • 1 litre or under

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • over 1 litre

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
I think its important to relate oil consumption to mileage rather than time, a car that does 20000 miles a year is going to use more than one doping 5000 mile a years, this comparison whilst interesting is actually meaningless from an analitical stand point

I think its important to relate oil consumption to mileage rather than time, a car that does 20000 miles a year is going to use more than one doping 5000 mile a years, this comparison whilst interesting is actually meaningless from an analitical stand point
Agreed but im not sending the results to a lab, just a bit of fun really,...and people can comment on there vote...:icon_thumright:

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever topped it up between services - and that's in 7.5 years of ownership. I do around 8000 miles a year and it now gets serviced once a year. I do check the level every month or so, but it's always been well above the min level.

pretty irrelavent pole really, mileage would be far more sensible!

I voted anyway, I do maybe 30k a year, and use WELL over 1 litre of oil. Mind you, I change my oil probably 4 times in that 30k too,

For interesting reference, VAG seem to think it's acceptable for the 2.0 TDI engines to use 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles!

pretty irrelavent pole really, mileage would be far more sensible!

I voted anyway, I do maybe 30k a year, and use WELL over 1 litre of oil. Mind you, I change my oil probably 4 times in that 30k too,

For interesting reference, VAG seem to think it's acceptable for the 2.0 TDI engines to use 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles!
Chill read post 3 ...:)
Im not suprised at your interesting reference to be honest the amount of soot they kick out.....

think mine used to use some but that might have been 0w now use 5w and it hardly uses any but I do change my oil yearly at about 3000 miles lol

My A3 Tsport hardly uses a drop of its 5-40 oil with 129k, city driving maybe something to do with it as 99% of the time ever going over 4k or 40mph.

I was told by Audi that using up to 1L of oil per 1000 miles was normal for my '99 A3 1.6, a petrol! Turned out there was a leak at the filter seal.

I service mine twice a year and do about 8000 mile I did use to top up alot when my turbo bearings went but now for the last 5 month not done it's once

20,000 miles this year one change after 11,000 then 1 top up of about 3/4 liter i reckon it depends on the journy length as well short sharp blast to nearby work or shops while fairly cold will use more oil than a fully warmed up car on a long run

I do about 13k a year and service it a couple of times a year, rarely have to top up between services.

Haven't needed to top mine up in ~12k

Probably worth checking more frequently! Normally get it replaced every 10k but that was when I did european roadtrips and trackdays. Sadly I haven't done either in the last 12 months :(

Most manufacturers use the 1L in 1k miles figure as a general getout for new engines that arent quite as oil tight as they should be.

I typically change my oil every 5k.

On our old FWD 1.8T with 200k on the clock i'd need to add about a litre or so half way thru the change interval, and by the time it was ready to get dropped out it would be nearing the minimum again. so thats ~1-1.5L per 2500miles.

On our avant (120k) it barely moves, and i've never had to top it up between changes, even with its slightly weepy rocker cover and cam tensioner seals.

Saloons engines just been rebuilt, so it'd hope it uses none, but i've not looked recently. I should probably check it before next trip north, but it has a level sensor which should shout at me if theres a problem :p

Its not just the manufacturers that quote that. We had a rep come in from shell listing the importances of oil changes, grades of oil and what it means and the benifit of the more expensive oils to some of the motorfactor oils. Shell themselves quote the 1L per 1000miles too. He also said obviously it depends on the driving circumstances ie what type you do, motorway fast driving, or slow town driving and also if you tend to have a heavy foot or drive like a granny everywhere.

So everyone that might have a dealing with oil will probably just use that to cover their *** if the cars drinking oil and the customer gets worried and starts demanding warranty work on faults that may not be there on newer cars.

The Jaguar XKR before the newest model has a message in the handbook saying you`ll need to top up the oil more often than you normally would in other cars inbetween services and when i worked at a Jag dealership one guy didnt take any notice off it and just left it until the service light came on and continued to rag it about burning off oil. Car came in on the back of a transporter with a seized engine due to oil starvation and got blagged on warranty.

I top up about a litre a month, i use 10w40 Castrol Magnatec, however I think my valve stem seals may need changing soon, so this may counter the high usage, also I do 1-1500 miles per month.