How quick is the RS3 8P?

Dark-Hadou

Reaction score
Hey

So currently own a tuned Evo VIII but it's difficult as a daily so want to switch to something more comfortable but at the same time, don't want to lose that 'fun factor'.
How capable is the RS3 as i sometimes like to take it out on weekends for a nice drive as well as do some track days.
Is it a step in the right direction or should i look at something else?

Many thanks
Dan.

Never owned an Evo, or even been a passenger so couldn't compare.

Standard 0-60 is stated at 4.6
From memory Topgear was reported to have managed a sub 4.0 seconds under test. (3.8/3.9 I can't remember.)

If tuning is your thing a stage 1 remap, will get you aproaching 400 ish.
The more costly Stage 2 doesn't give much extra, If any in bhp, but does seem to release more torque.

I personally wouldn't bother as it requires a full decat ( not mot friendly) and a FMIC.

Gains vary so much, some stage 1's , have bettered so called stage 2 tunes, so the smart man might see what they get at Stage 1 first.

I think the only way you are going to be able to compare them is to test drive one.

The EVO is a totally different beast, the RS3 in my opinion is the better all-rounder, the EVO is more track and race focussed

The RS3 can be a monster when you want/need it to be but even as a motorway cruiser it is comfortable and quiet. I regularly do 5-6hour drives in mine without getting tired or feeling the need to stop.

You may find the RS3 doesn't handle as well round a track but it all depends on what you really want from a car.........

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks for the replies.

I would probably keep it standard for a month or two before going stage 2 but if like you say, it's only a tiny gain in power then i will have to think twice about it but would want 400+/400+ ideally.

I don't do any motorway miles, just a 6 mile daily drive through town.
The Audi garage closest to me doesn't seem to have any RS3 8P's in at the moment. The only car i can compare it to is an S3 8P DSG supposedly (i didn't see any paperwork) Revo Stage 2+ and to be honest, wasn't really impressed. I have been told RS3 is a different level car though so will keep my hopes up for now.

I would say that the RS3 is definitely a different animal than the S3, the power delivery is totally different, the RS is surprisingly torquey compare to an S and a tuned S, as I really didn't like the S models I have driven as they seemed like you were constantly fighting to stay in the power, the RS is certainly not like that.

As for a 6mile commute I don't think an RS would like that much but I rarely do short trips in mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to know mate, i'm glad it's a different level car, il look forward to testing one asap.
Evo is the same, doesn't like short trips but can't really do much about it and don't really want a second car.
Do the stock brakes and suspension hold up well at say, stage 2?

I'm not sure about the tuning as mine is pretty standard, just a different air filter on mine and an uprated intercooler.

I have read that people upgrade the brakes but most I believe keep them standard but put lower springs on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things to remember with the RS3 8P:

Handling / Steering is vastly improved with MPSS's, the OEM conti's are utter poop
EBC red stuff pads give better braking performance and longer life and do no make any noise
To enable the electronic front diff the ESP HAS TO BE IN SPORT MODE, this changes the dynamics of the car drastically, this is in addition to pressing the S button.

Reactions: 45bvtc and mattwez378
What's wrong with the VIII as a daily drive??

I had a VI for over 3 years as a daily...

Things to remember with the RS3 8P:

Handling / Steering is vastly improved with MPSS's, the OEM conti's are utter poop
EBC red stuff pads give better braking performance and longer life and do no make any noise
To enable the electronic front diff the ESP HAS TO BE IN SPORT MODE, this changes the dynamics of the car drastically, this is in addition to pressing the S button.
I bet you could reprogram that to be on 24/7 surely?

My brother has an Evo VIII, which by any stretch of the imagination, takes some looking after. It's a nice car and yes, it will work as a daily drive but personally, I would go for the RS3.
I have a V6 3.2 and the S3 just doesn't do it for me, yes it can be quick once you spend some money to get it that way, but you need more than 4 cyl's for the note and the smoothness.

Reactions: mattwez378