How soon to use the S3 Launch Control and give it prolonged 'beans'!

SmileyS3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering how long I should wait before trying the launch control and maybe going on a prolonged 'spirited' drive.

I've had my S3 for just under two weeks and we have knocked up about 500-600 miles already!(Oops)

After a lot of consideration, I'm letting my dad buy my Subaru off me because I just don't think I'll get time to drive that aswell.

My dad was asking if I've used launch control yet and I was kinda waiting until I'd 'run her in a little' but I don't actually have any idea about new cars so am not really sure how long is 'run in'.

Also, I've been asked if I want to join a Sunday drive group who will be going for a 'spirited early morning drive', on a 'private' road.

So, how many miles should I wait?

The launch control is pretty timid on the new s3. Rpm limiters are there for a reason. Although a good 500 miles break in is advisable.

Reactions: SmileyS3
Day 1, hour 1, mile 1.

Reactions: C3peeoh, Wanty, bigtasty and 1 other person
Held off using mine for the first 1,000 miles. Almost forgot about it to be fair! Passenger asked if the car had it when we were out on the moors so gave it a few tries throughout the afternoon/evening. Had about 3,200 on the clock I think.

Would be more worried about doing it before the engine/gearbox has warmed up properly!

Reactions: Pulp84
Well, after reading through those threads, looks like it's a personal preference thing. The dealer did tell me that they were run in at the factory. I've definitely not stuck to 3000 revs...ha. I've driven it a lot in Eco mode but I've also given in quick blasts and taken it well above the national speed limit(on a track ofcourse) got 800 miles on the clock now so, I'm thinking I should be fine.
I've driven an Impreza WRX for 8 years so I always warm up and cool down. It's nice to have an oil temp readout.

I might try launch control later.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Waited until 6.5k miles here, but it wasn't planned!

Tested it twice, underwhelmed then realised I did it wrong! Ha! 0-30 is waaay to quick!

Yeah, I've done it a good few times now and it is mental! I imagine that NVM was referring to the controlled feel to it...like, it's mental fast but you don't feel like it could spin you off like on a wheel spinning kinda car?