How to find a coolant leak

soulwaffle

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of topping up the coolant. When I attach the air compressor to the 'coolant kit' it doesnt seem to hold the vacuum, instead I can hear a hissing sound coming from somewhere behind the cylinder block/underneath the turbo.

Whats the best way of going about finding where the air is leaking out from (sounds dumb, I know)? Just feel around until I find the pipe?

Watch the game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: soulwaffle
Mirror and torch to see back of engine. Look for pink stains by the leak. Might be easier to refill with water and see if any dribbles out when hot.

Mirror and torch to see back of engine. Look for pink stains by the leak. Might be easier to refill with water and see if any dribbles out when hot.
Hmm, drained all of the coolant out of the pipes and I cant start the car yet. Was hoping to do the coolant, then prime the fuel line, and then prime the turbo.

I can take out the TIP and have a feel around the pipes, short of that it'll be putting the car onto ramps and taking a look from underneath, Is there any sort of spray/dye (?) I can apply that'll make the air leak visible.

Smoke is the way to find leaks as well. What engine do you have?

Smokes for intake leaks, uv dye for coolant leaks

Tbh pressure via the reservoir & up on stands with a torch.

Found it. coolant hose to EGR pipe. New EGR pipe is slightly smaller than the hose and clip thus making it loose. Replaced with a jubilee clip and the pressure held.