How to fit Puddle Lights on the Front and Rear doors

auzzam_crd

Reaction score
I saw a few people were struggling with the back lights - so decided to make an easy video on it.

I've posted this as a separate thread, as this topic will no doubt be searched for in the coming years.

More content is on the way - appreciate the support from the Forum so far, please subscribe if you have not done so already :)

Thanks

Auzzam

Reactions: Harny86, Sparks43 and pburv
Good video mate. My s3 come with the 2 spare bulbs in the glove box but the rear door cards have the cut outs blanked in mine.what would I do there mate?

Thanks

Good video mate. My s3 come with the 2 spare bulbs in the glove box but the rear door cards have the cut outs blanked in mine.what would I do there mate?

Thanks

Thanks buddy, so according to Audis website buried deep within their configurator the rear puddle lights are only available with the ambient lighting pack.

I'm guessing you did not opt for this? Seems to be another gotcha! From the way they've chosen to build the standard car specs

Another great video! I managed to get a set of these projectors for free from a mate - haven't some people been getting the projectors with their A3's without selecting them? Obviously you get the standard white lights under the doors as standard with the extended ambient lighting pack but the image projectors are an extra £120. Are people who are getting the projectors free getting them in both the front and rear or just the front?

Thanks buddy, so according to Audis website buried deep within their configurator the rear puddle lights are only available with the ambient lighting pack.

I'm guessing you did not opt for this? Seems to be another gotcha! From the way they've chosen to build the standard car specs
No I didn't mate.Aufi are having our lives here.

Another great video! I managed to get a set of these projectors for free from a mate - haven't some people been getting the projectors with their A3's without selecting them? Obviously you get the standard white lights under the doors as standard with the extended ambient lighting pack but the image projectors are an extra £120. Are people who are getting the projectors free getting them in both the front and rear or just the front?

Edition 1, and S3 get Audi Beam (4 Rings as Standard) Vorsprung gets Vorsprung spelt out - They are in the Glovebox and should be fitted at PDI - I thought the rears had the normal lights as standard - The 8V did so poor if you have to have the Ambient Pack - I have the Ambient and ordered S puddle lights for the front and put the 4 Rings at the rear.

The standard puddle lights wouldn't light up a puddle if they tried - Absolutely awful - The projector ones are really bright so don't know why they don't fit better white lights

Reactions: AdamInKent
Edition 1, and S3 get Audi Beam (4 Rings as Standard) Vorsprung gets Vorsprung spelt out - They are in the Glovebox and should be fitted at PDI - I thought the rears had the normal lights as standard - The 8V did so poor if you have to have the Ambient Pack - I have the Ambient and ordered S puddle lights for the front and put the 4 Rings at the rear.

The standard puddle lights wouldn't light up a puddle if they tried - Absolutely awful - The projector ones are really bright so don't know why they don't fit better white lights
so true! for weeks I thought I had no lights on the rear until I physically got underneath to look and found the standard light. :)

Reactions: AdamInKent
My S3 8V came with the rings on the front but plain on the back so I bought genuine Quattro logo for the rear, just got my S3 8Y last Saturday, it has the extended ambient pack but only plain front and back, glad I took both sets out the 8V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My S3 8V came with the rings on the front but plain on the back so I bought genuine Quattro logo for the rear, just got my S3 8Y last Saturday, it has the extended ambient pack but only plain front and back, glad I took both sets out the 8V

You should have the 4 Rings on the front as standard - They should have been put in the glovebox and swapped out at PDI - I'd get onto the dealer and they should post you out a new set.

You should have the 4 Rings on the front as standard - They should have been put in the glovebox and swapped out at PDI - I'd get onto the dealer and they should post you out a new set.

Yep as @Sparks43 said they should have been standard on your front doors, it's listed in the configurator.

I'd get a replacement and flog them lol

Hope the way to fit the backdoor lights helps when you get around to it.

Will do, I just pulled the cable out a bit (not recommended)

With my rear door card been blanked off if I cut the hole out would the cable be there?if so I could do it myself and but the lights.

With my rear door card been blanked off if I cut the hole out would the cable be there?if so I could do it myself and but the lights.

I would suspect not, knowing how Audi are these days and everything is weight driven for emissions, so I doubt they would add anything that's not being used.

If you take the screw out under the door handle, you might be able with some plastic trim removal tools be get the bottom of the door card away enough to see if there is a wire.

The second screw is behind the speaker trim - The one in the middle of the door and is really difficult to get out - This is if you were thinking of taking the whole door card off.

Reactions: SargaroS
I would suspect not, knowing how Audi are these days and everything is weight driven for emissions, so I doubt they would add anything that's not being used.

If you take the screw out under the door handle, you might be able with some plastic trim removal tools be get the bottom of the door card away enough to see if there is a wire.

The second screw is behind the speaker trim - The one in the middle of the door and is really difficult to get out - This is if you were thinking of taking the whole door card off.
Ok I will look thank you for this

I believe all 8V's had the connectors in the door cards regardless of trim level - it was just a case of taking off the blank plate and then you could fit the lights. I assume it would be the same depends if you're willing to chance it.

I can confirm that there will be no wiring there.

If you have red warning lights on the end of the doors that light up when you open the door then its quite straight forward to add puddle lights - I can supply a piggy-back harness and light kit - you can add this kit without taking the door card off.

If the red warning light is just a blank plastic and doesn't light up then you will require a full lighting kit which consists of the harnesses, puddle light and red warning light - again something that we offer.

https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/door-lighting

Reactions: Dave16S3
I can confirm that there will be no wiring there.

If you have red warning lights on the end of the doors that light up when you open the door then its quite straight forward to add puddle lights - I can supply a piggy-back harness and light kit - you can add this kit without taking the door card off.

If the red warning light is just a blank plastic and doesn't light up then you will require a full lighting kit which consists of the harnesses, puddle light and red warning light - again something that we offer.

https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/door-lighting

I don't believe any of the 8Y's have the light up warning light anymore?

I believe all 8V's had the connectors in the door cards regardless of trim level - it was just a case of taking off the blank plate and then you could fit the lights. I assume it would be the same depends if you're willing to chance it.

8V's didn't have the wring fitted from factory unless it was added as an option.

Judging by the stuff they have taken off the 8Y compared to the 8V there is no way that wiring will be in there if it wasn’t specced

Missed this thread first time round, suggests further up that s3’s should have the Audi logo fitted as standard is that right? Mine doesn’t they’re just standard lights and there’s nothing in the glove box either...

Missed this thread first time round, suggests further up that s3’s should have the Audi logo fitted as standard is that right? Mine doesn’t they’re just standard lights and there’s nothing in the glove box either...
That's correct - Standard fit on the S3 - Should be in the glovebox and fitted at PDI

Yeh just picked my new S3 up, standard puddle lights, nothing in the glove box :(
Raise it with the dealers, I have and they’re sourcing some replacements. Well either that or they’ve not yet plucked up the courage to tell me I can’t have them.

No judgement from me, but that is one error I'd be happy to see personally. Much prefer non-logo puddle lights - they do a better job and are a little less...ostentatious.

No judgement from me, but that is one error I'd be happy to see personally. Much prefer non-logo puddle lights - they do a better job and are a little less...ostentatious.
I get that, but the standard puddle lights are non existent, Stevie Wonder sees more than they show up.

Reactions: auzzam_crd and Moots
A per The Real Big Vern, the standard puddle lights couldn't light up a puddle if they tried - Complete waste of time

The four rings do a good job and S Puddle Lights really light up the floor well

Reactions: Billy Shears
Judging by the stuff they have taken off the 8Y compared to the 8V there is no way that wiring will be in there if it wasn’t specced

If the wiring for puddle lights on the bottom of the doors is present then you can take the feed from them to add power for red leds on the backward facing part of the door. That’s what I did in my Golf GTI. I did have to take the outer door skin off but can’t remember if it was to get access to that wiring or not. Was a few years ago now.

A per The Real Big Vern, the standard puddle lights couldn't light up a puddle if they tried - Complete waste of time

The four rings do a good job and S Puddle Lights really light up the floor well
Ah, fair enough. Not seem them in action as yet. You'd assume (as often the case) that they'd be brighter without making off a load of the light to create the rings but sounds like it's a completely different light.

What a surprise, emails replied to instantly during the sales process, but now I've collected, no response despite chasers in relation to swapping the puddle lights out.

What a surprise, emails replied to instantly during the sales process, but now I've collected, no response despite chasers in relation to swapping the puddle lights out.
I think that’s the norm with any car dealership tbh! I’ve yet to have a different experience.

Can you suggest how to take this grill off ?
Did you start from the end of it ?
Trying to get mine off but I’m not really sure where should I start with it very tight fit.

Can you suggest how to take this grill off ?
Did you start from the end of it ?
Trying to get mine off but I’m not really sure where should I start with it very tight fit.
Not really it’s very tight wand could
break I’m afraid - top edges are where the clips are I think - trim removal tool best option

Sorry

Reactions: SargaroS
Needing a bit of advice for the 4 rings projector fitment.

Got a new S3 last week - 4 ring projectors in the glovebox, the bottom of the front door card has a moulded recess for puddle lights/projectors. Has anyone fitted these from the point of having to cut their own hole for them? Presumably it's a quick cut out from the recess with a dremel or Stanley knife. After that, how do I get to the wiring plug? Is it dangling loose and can it be fished out with a finger through the hole you just cut, or do you have to pull the door card off to get at that wiring plug?

Needing a bit of advice for the 4 rings projector fitment.

Got a new S3 last week - 4 ring projectors in the glovebox, the bottom of the front door card has a moulded recess for puddle lights/projectors. Has anyone fitted these from the point of having to cut their own hole for them? Presumably it's a quick cut out from the recess with a dremel or Stanley knife. After that, how do I get to the wiring plug? Is it dangling loose and can it be fished out with a finger through the hole you just cut, or do you have to pull the door card off to get at that wiring plug?
On mine I just removed the original fitted ones and replaced them with the 4 rings

Reactions: monkeyhanger
On mine I just removed the original fitted ones and replaced them with the 4 rings
Sounds like someone did the donkey work for you - probably at PDI, as it should have been. Mine wasn't fitted with the basic lights at PDI. I'll have to cut my own hole from the recess at the bottom of the door card, but looking to confirm if I'll be able to get to the required plugged lead without taking off the door card (which looks easy enough, but time consuming).

Sounds like someone did the donkey work for you - probably at PDI, as it should have been. Mine wasn't fitted with the basic lights at PDI. I'll have to cut my own hole from the recess at the bottom of the door card, but looking to confirm if I'll be able to get to the required plugged lead without taking off the door card (which looks easy enough, but time consuming).
Bad news for you. Your car has not been fitted with the puddle lights from the factory. This is not a PDI thing. The PDI issue was that the standard puddle lights were fitted but some dealers did not exchange them for the ring lights in the glovebox.
It is documented on here that they have stopped fitting them altogether on some specs and that is why you have a blanking plate. I think the wiring in the door has also been omitted.
There are also posts on here where people have retrofitted them afterwards. Try the search function.

Bad news for you. Your car has not been fitted with the puddle lights from the factory. This is not a PDI thing. The PDI issue was that the standard puddle lights were fitted but some dealers did not exchange them for the ring lights in the glovebox.
It is documented on here that they have stopped fitting them altogether on some specs and that is why you have a blanking plate. I think the wiring in the door has also been omitted.
There are also posts on here where people have retrofitted them afterwards. Try the search function.

I'll have to ask the dealership(122 miles from me) and then my local dealership about this - maybe they stopped fitting the standard ones at the factory to only see them get swapped out straight away for the ring lights, and the plug is actually behind the door card with the intention for the dealership to fit at PDI. Can't see why the ring lights were in the glove box if I was never supposed to have them. The S3 is meant to have those ring beams as standard spec. Will post what i'm told by the 2 dealerships and will ask Audi UK what to do next if the wiring plug isn't there e.g. if there's a plug in mini loom they need to supply me with.

I totally agree - My S3 had the Rings fitted and the originals were in the glovebox (No idea why the factory don't just fit them as they were standard then) - I also ordered the S lights and swapped the front for the S ones and put the rings on the back - I did have the Ambient Light pack though - This was in 2020

The standard lights are rubbish