How to get 12v from the internal fuse box

Angst

Reaction score
Hi there

New to this forum.

I just got a 2015 A3 1.4 TFSi Automatic - and I love it. :)

Today I recieved my Clearmount from Canada - shipping was terrible due to danish customs :(
Anyway - I have fitted it and everything works like a charm. But...
How do I get the cable hidden? I bought the version with Magsafe charging and really would like to do something like another user showed in here (in 2017 tho) - run the cable inside the vents and connect it to a 12v to 5v adapter with an USB port. However I found another 12v to USB converter and would love to use that instead and thereby not having to use a ligther port adapter. But where do I grab 12v from?

This is the converter I got.

I reckon it is in the Fuse box somewhere - I would like it to be turned on with ignition unless there's a permanent 12v inside there?
I am not that tech savvy, but my dad is. Old electrician and not afraid to open the car up. :D Can we drag the cable to the fuse box?
It's a lefthand driven model, so the box is under the steering wheel - left side. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Brian from Denmark

Have a search for "piggy back fuse holder". Some years ago I wanted to run a 12v feed through the dash and up into the central dashboard locker on my Yeti for a sat nav. I found a suitable fuse in the box and replaced it with a piggy back fuse holder and fly lead. I then connected a wire to the fly lead and picked up an earth from a dashboard fixing point bolt.

Colin

Thx EribaMotters
I will go on the hunt for piggy backs. :)

Get you self some of these Link

Then
  • Locate the fuse box, mine was in the glove box on a RHD
  • put negative from a multimeter to the outer casing of the cigarette lighter
  • use the positive to poke about in the fuse box looking for a spare permanent live or switched
  • locate a suitable ground point and run a wire to it, I took a piece of trim off above the sill and there was one there

Hi Alex
I got a few of the piggyback thingymagoos.
Will use your method + my dad (old electrician).
I guess the we could use the 20A for the lighter and steal current there?
Or would you rather use an empty socket?

br

Brian

I would probably rather just find an empty socket. Not sure what others think to that approach?

So just leave the one fuse spot empty?
The one I got is normally used to steal from an existing fuse spot I believe.

You don't have to steal from an existing spot, if you have empty ones why bother. Not sure if you need a fuse in both spots of the fuse tap, I put a fuse in both.