How to get diesel fuel out of driver's floor mat

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I filled up yesterday evening, in the dark, not realising I was standing in a puddle of the fuel of Satan. That then transferred to my floor mat and the car now stinks.

Any tips on the best way to clean it all off?

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and jdp1962
I'd sprinkle it with lots of baking soda. Leave for a good while and then hoover it up.

Reactions: jdp1962
@jdp1962 I've also managed to coerce my mats into the washing machine before now. Obviously you want to try and get rid of as much of the residue and odour before trying that but might help as a final stage. I bend and manipulate the mat until it fits in the drum and then run on a 30C wash with a lower spin, say 800.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
@jdp1962 - My advice Jeff ? Some new mats mate. The only way IMHO
Oh & a new pair of glasses :p :D

Reactions: V6_Man and jdp1962
OK, no soda crystals so I filled a washing up bowl with hot water and Persil Non-bio, and gave it a damned good scrubbing with a stiff brush dipped in the water. I then placed layer upon layer of clean kitchen roll on it and stood on its to draw the moisture and contamination out. It's currently sitting on top of the boiler drying out.

Then I noticed some baking soda crystals on the floor of the boiler cupboard....

Will apply tomorrow morning, then hoover up.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I was about to ask @jdp1962 if you managed to try it or not. Keep us posted who knows one of us might need it in future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound
These are my new mats!
@jdp1962 - Oh didn't realise that ! :(
OK, no soda crystals so I filled a washing up bowl with hot water and Persil Non-bio, and gave it a damned good scrubbing with a stiff brush dipped in the water. I then placed layer upon layer of clean kitchen roll on it and stood on its to draw the moisture and contamination out. It's currently sitting on top of the boiler drying out.

Then I noticed some baking soda crystals on the floor of the boiler cupboard....

Will apply tomorrow morning, then hoover up.
Don't forget to make the appointment at the opticians too Jeff ;) :D

Reactions: V6_Man
@jdp1962 - Oh didn't realise that ! :(

Don't forget to make the appointment at the opticians too Jeff ;) :D

First diesel and then soda crystals. I kind of agree with BH on the appointment Jeff

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962
And if all else fails, I'm going round to @scotty76 's house to use his washing machine.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and V6_Man
Yours too, huh? :)

Good news, everyone. This morning, the mat is clean, dry, and smelling of Persil non-bio.

Glad to hear Jeff