How to make your B9 RS4 sound like a B8 for £20..

I'm worried about that too.

But less so with the C8 RS6. Emissions nonsense and new sound laws etc will kill it with the stock system. But the C7 was so well catered for in the aftermarket scene. I think we'll see the same amount of choice this time round. Would you change to a C7.5?

Can you PM me your insta account please bud? I changed my account and can't find you anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My RS4 account is long gone mate. Advertising you have an RS4 in Birmingham these days is unfortunately bordering on suicidal. Car crime is surging due to a rise in social media usage connecting thieves with buyers and so on (I could show you instagram profiles that will make your blood boil!), so i took the profile down quite a while ago and just enjoy driving it rather than showing it off to followers ;)

Reactions: michael A, Terminator x and Thundercliffe81
My RS4 account is long gone mate. Advertising you have an RS4 in Birmingham these days is unfortunately bordering on suicidal. Car crime is surging due to a rise in social media usage connecting thieves with buyers and so on (I could show you instagram profiles that will make your blood boil!), so i took the profile down quite a while ago and just enjoy driving it rather than showing it off to followers ;)

My gut told me that was the reason. And I couldn't agree more mate Especially on the video you done with a certain guy.

My gut told me that was the reason. And I couldn't agree more mate Especially on the video you done with a certain guy.

Yep that's long gone too! Just not worth it these days. For anyone interested in seeing what I'm talking about, drop me a pm and I'll send you a public Insta profile to take a look at!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Yep that's long gone too! Just not worth it these days. For anyone interested in seeing what I'm talking about, drop me a pm and I'll send you a public Insta profile to take a look at!

I trust you mate. That stuff just brings me down. I know people that have suffered more than once due to this scum. Anyway. Be good to hear that Res delete mate. I'd love a private YouTube link recording if possible.

I trust you mate. That stuff just brings me down. I know people that have suffered more than once due to this scum. Anyway. Be good to hear that Res delete mate. I'd love a private YouTube link recording if possible.

yep when it's done in 3 weeks I'll drop a link out :)

Is 'anyone' offering a dual branch system for this yet? Anybody cracked it? ASG have the best I've heard for the new RS5. But I think they do a back box mod.

The sound has grown on me quite a bit actually.

Just on that point, JFA look like they might have that sorted:

TX.

Edit - Manhart too albeit not sure if 2 pipes or just better exhaust:

Last edited:

TX.

Yep... but can you really justify the spend?! :( it's just so unnecessary when you have an RS4 grrrrrr

TX.

I swear I've heard the Remus one before this and it sounded weak. Maybe this footage is just a bit more realistic. That sounds pretty damn good. Wow.

The Mannhart one is brutal haha. Too much. Sounded like it was still in development when I heard it. But that Remus is decent

Hmmm.

I think those farts sound well over done. That would annoy me in time I reckon. It's a hard engine to make sound decent though. You're pretty spoiled with a V8 haha.

not at all.. i still love it. Hands down the best car I've had.. just annoying you need to mess with it to make it sound right. It will be interesting to see waht the Res Delete does to it next month. At the end of the day, it's still only a 2.9, so it's never gonna sound super rumbly I guess.

What this does of course mean is I might be jumping ship to an RS6 sooner than I intended to.. but it's odds on, that if the RS4 is anything to go by, they will do something daft to the RS6 also to take away the rumble of the V8 :sadlike:
I haven't read anything on the new RS6 that will be due out soon. Is it sticking with a V8, or will it downsize to a V6?

not at all.. i still love it. Hands down the best car I've had.. just annoying you need to mess with it to make it sound right. It will be interesting to see waht the Res Delete does to it next month. At the end of the day, it's still only a 2.9, so it's never gonna sound super rumbly I guess.

What this does of course mean is I might be jumping ship to an RS6 sooner than I intended to.. but it's odds on, that if the RS4 is anything to go by, they will do something daft to the RS6 also to take away the rumble of the V8 :sadlike:
I haven't read anything on the new RS6 that will be due out soon. Apparently it's sticking with a twin turbo V8. Surely that will have some sound.

I haven't read anything on the new RS6 that will be due out soon. Apparently it's sticking with a twin turbo V8. Surely that will have some sound.

V8 twin turbo I believe.. and a hybrid option too

V8 twin turbo I believe.. and a hybrid option too

Have Audi just hijacked a similar Porsche engine? Same hybrid option with Porsche too afaik.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I haven't read anything on the new RS6 that will be due out soon. Is it sticking with a V8, or will it downsize to a V6?

Panamera Turbo set up mate. With Performance version likely to be hybrid like Porsche again.

Reactions: D0C
Have Audi just hijacked a similar Porsche engine? Same hybrid option with Porsche too afaik.

TX.

Yep it's bound to be all the same thing. The existing RS4 is out of the Panamera S believe ..

in other news... decided to plug my valves back in today.. but doesnt seem to have made any difference! I wonder whether it needs to be in a certain mode to kick them back into action... :s

Or.. maybe the engine and exhaust have finally come to life

Or.. maybe the engine and exhaust have finally come to life

You done a reset on VCDS or another ECU dongle?

Not done anything.. just plugged them back in. Ever so slightly less drone and vibration, but doesn’t really sound a great deal quieter! :/

It's so easy to determine vag group engines what's going in what now
Rs6 = panmera turbo = rsq8 = Bentley continental v8

Reactions: Addict and Thundercliffe81
You done a reset on VCDS or another ECU dongle?

Problem solved. Unplugged them with the engine on and then plugged them back in again and all back to normal!

Problem solved. Unplugged them with the engine on and then plugged them back in again and all back to normal!

Quiet now? Haha. Glad you sorted it mate. Must have bugged you.

Bring on the Res delete

Quiet now? Haha. Glad you sorted it mate. Must have bugged you.

Bring on the Res delete

Haha yeah much quieter. I’ll miss the rumble but not the drone!

This will be the results of the Res Delete..

Hi

I have the 2020 RS4 with sports exhaust. Can you tell me where i need to go to get this done or how to do it please?

Hi

I have the 2020 RS4 with sports exhaust. Can you tell me where i need to go to get this done or how to do it please?

what is it you want to do? The hack on the original post (Unclipping the valves)?

Whilst it will make the car sound louder, the drone is deafening. I’d check out PCW Mods on Facebook or Insta. He did mine and he does an amazing job. It’s a more permanent change but well worth it in my opinion :)

It's a person ;) he takes off the exhaust and cuts up the insides of the back box to make it sound better vs OE.

TX.

Did you reverse the work he’d done John when you part ex’d the 4 back
Can imagine the next owner not being happy if something broke and Audi spotted that

Reactions: NevMan
Did you reverse the work he’d done John when you part ex’d the 4 back
Can imagine the next owner not being happy if something broke and Audi spotted that

lol traded in and forgotten ;) the carbon bits would have dazzled the next owner!

TX.

lol traded in and forgotten ;) the carbon bits would have dazzled the next owner!

TX.

Oh Dear.

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a big warranty claim

Re unplugging the valves...on my old B9 S5 I found that if you take the actuators off the exhaust (two bolts on the top) there are two springy bits of metal - if you start the car, put it in sports/dynamic you will hear the valves open, you can then turn the engine off, undo the bolts and take out the bits of metal. The car still thinks the valves are opening/closing so no errors and you just get better sound all the time. Ran my S5 like this for about 12k miles and loved it, when I sold the car I just undid the actuators and put the metal bits back in, all back to stock. Do ensure the valves are in the open position!

I plan on trying this on my RS4 when the weather gets a little better, I can't see the car under the snow at present!

I tried taking the actuator off the exhaust valve, it's COMPLETELY different to the sports exhaust on the S5, three bolts instead of two, the actuator has a fork on it which seems to interact directly with the valve disk rather than going via a spring - there is still a spring in there thought.

Took 5 mins to get the top off, 20 mins of head scratching to figure out there was no way to non-invasively stop it working and then about 40 mins of poking around blind to get it all back to together (the thing is mounted on top of the exhaust right near the top, not surprisingly exactly where the valve sits! so you really can't see anything).

On the plus side the car did fit on my old school drive up ramps with about 1mm clearance, very nervous experience driving it up and down! LOL

@Mohammed Umar how did you get on with your exhaust? Hopefully more successful than my effort. :)