How To - S3 8P Timing Chain

MarkpS3

Reaction score
Okay, so here goes....

Two ways of going about this job. The first, and certainly easiest, is by removal of the camshaft adjuster. The danger of this method is stripping the bolt that holds the adjuster to the camshaft (which I ended up doing!! It was inevitable really). The second is by removal of the intake cam. This method is a bit more involved and certainly more time consuming.

But first, the obligatory disclaimer:

This post is intended as a GUIDE ONLY. In no way am I responsible for anything that may happen to your vehicle as a result of following it.

And now that that's out of the way.....Here she is:

Tools:

Here's what Elsawin suggests you'll need:

I decided to invest in a timing kit which includes everything (except the socket) that's needed for the job....plus a few extra bits. Found it on eBay (other on line auction sites are available :wink:) for just under £50. It will be easy to sell on in the future!

The special tool (T40080) from what I could find out is just a Polydrive bit, size M10. I already had a Polydrive set that included this. Perhaps the official tool is slightly different, I'm not too sure, but the one I had seemed to fit perfectly snug after a little persuasive 'tap'.

The only other 'unique' tool required is a triple square to remove this fella:

Aside from those, you'll need a selection of Torx bits (ranging from T20 to T35), your standard sockets and an array of screw drivers & pliers. Oh and a torque wrench with a range of 4 - 30Nm.

Parts:

Timing Chain Kit. I got an FAI one from Euro Car Parts ~ £150:

The kit included:
-Chain
-Tensioner (& locking pin)
-Adjuster Housing Gasket
-Head Cover Gasket
-Valve Housing Gasket
-Rubber O-ring for N205 Valve

May as well replace Cam Follower for High Pressure Fuel Pump whilst in there, so I picked up one of those and a replacement O-ring for the pump from Audi.......best part of £50 for the two!!! :banghead: I'm sure cheaper will be available.

If you're able to remove the cam adjuster bolt, then have a new one of those ready too.

If, like me, you end up taking the cam cover off, you'll need 23 fresh bolts. (part no. N10554005). They're stretch bolts so almost certainly worth investing in a new set! Again, it was a visit to Audi for me (as this was unplanned) and set me back £40.

The Job:

Remove engine cover. Disconnect & remove battery including housing. This will give a lot better access to the adjuster housing later on.

With a cool engine, disconnect and remove HPFP. Rather than explaining that process, take a look here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/changing-hpfp-cam-follower-on-s3-8p.138827/#post-1417451

It's an excellent guide by Warren.

Next, time to remove the head cover. First, unscrew 2 bolts from the toothed belt cover:

Detach valve housing from head cover (4 bolts, arrowed) and also disconnect ACF pipe (numbered 1) from cover.

Remove ignition coils. To do this, unscrew the 2 bolts on connector rail. Pull all ignition coils out ~ 3cm (speciality tool listed for this but a bit of gentle persuasion with a flat blade screwdriver worked wonders). Release all electrical connectors & pull off at the same time.

Unscrew crankcase breather line & heat shield from turbo (they're 5mm allen key bolts, not torx!) Number 1 on diagram below. Also note there is a metal gasket in between! It would be much easier to just disconnect the pipe where it attaches on to the head cover, but you'd probably need a replacement clip to hand. Disconnect ACF line going to turbo from head cover, Number 2 on diagram below.

Loosen cylinder head cover (14 bolts working outside to inside) & remove.

In the picture below you'll see a coolant pipe that conveniently (not) runs across the top of the adjuster housing. It's attached to the housing by just that one triple square bolt. Remove that and you'll be able to manoeuvre the pipe. Be firm but careful. Also un-clip the wiring loom from the housing and remove the N205 valve (2 small torx). With the valve removed and the coolant pipe pulled up, you'll have enough clearance to pull the housing off the adjuster.

Next, remove vacuum pump (3 bolts). This could stay in but there's a pipe plugged in to it that I couldn't manage to remove. Easy enough to just take out the pump!

And you'll be left with this.....

You're now ready to remove the adjuster housing (7 bolts):

Be careful when removing (and refitting) the housing. There are 3 rings (some are plastic, some metal) that sit inside the adjuster and help regulate oil pressure in order to control the valve timing. Don't wiggle it about too much when trying to get it off, just gently persuade it to come straight back. Here it is:

Only allowed 20 images, so TBC below.....

Reactions: Mario8P
And here are the chain and tensioner. Was nice to see them looking well lubed up!

Align mark on camshaft sprocket with mark on toothed belt cover. The indentations on camshafts face each other. Remove spark plugs to make engine easier to rotate. Fit locking tool T10252 & secure.

Compress tensioner by hand and insert locking pin T10115. Now is a good time to add a couple of reference marks; one on each cam sprocket and on the corresponding links of the chain.

You can now remove the securing bolt from the camshaft adjuster (good luck!). Assuming your luck was in, the adjuster & sprocket will have separated from the exhaust camshaft. Remove the chain & unbolt the tensioner.

If you weren't so lucky, time to get started on unbolting that cam cover. As mentioned, there are 23 bolts. Remove them working outside to inside using the sequence 6 - 1 in the diagram below.

Both camshafts will rise as the valve springs are decompressed. The exhaust cam will be held firmly in place by the toothed belt & sprocket at the opposite end, so no need to worry about losing the engine timing. It may take a bit of persuasion to break all the sealant and manoeuvre the cover off the head. Here it is:

Be prepared to spend a good couple of hours removing the remains of the OEM sealant from both the cover and the head. This is definitely the most time consuming part of the job. Here they are afterwards:

Transfer the marks you put on the old chain on to the new one (counting the links in between them). On comparing them, I could definitely feel the slack in the old chain. The new one had much less play between the links.

Reassembly:

Start by fitting the new tensioner. This must go on before the new chain! Torque bolts to 10Nm (I opted for a bit of thread lock on these, too).

Re-fit the chain. If you managed to remove the adjuster, align pin B with notch A:

Lay chain over intake sprocket starting at the top. Turn inlet camshaft slowly using tool T10020 until adjuster fits on to camshaft. Once happy, torque securing bolt for adjuster to 20Nm + 45 degree turn.

If the intake cam was out, ensure it's dirt free and oil all the bearings and lobes. Fit chain over intake sprocket first and then hold it above the exhaust sprocket. Wrap chain around it ensuring all marks match up and then pull intake cam down in to it's place (this may take a couple of attempts).

It's now worth having a couple of dry practice runs at re-fitting the cam cover. It can be a little tricky to get back on, especially as the toothed belt sprocket & backing plate are still in place. Double check the timing by sliding in tool T10252. Once you're totally happy with everything, you can now put the liquid gasket on the cam cover.

I used Loctite 573. A little goes a long way, so a 2-3mm bead is plenty. Also (as I effectively broke the seals by removing the cover), I put some over the top of the oil seals on the toothed belt end. Now, start tightening it down but this time working inside to out in the sequence 1 - 6 below:

Only hand tighten until the entire cover is flush on the head. Then, in the same sequence tighten each bolt to 8Nm. Finally, turn each bolt a further 90 degrees. This angle tightening is what applies the stretch to the bolt. Wipe off any excess sealant that seeps out inside the head/plug holes.

Pull out locking pin T10115 and rotate the engine a couple of times to let everything settle.

Now, replace the cam adjuster housing (with new gasket). Torque bolts to 10Nm.

Insert N205 valve (with new O-ring). Torque bolts to 4Nm.

Replace vacuum pump (replace seal if damaged). Torque bolts to 10Nm.

Reattach coolant pipe and wiring loom.

Install head cover (with new gasket). Hand tighten bolts and then torque to 10Nm in the sequence 1 - 14 below:

Install ignition coils.

Install valve housing (new gasket) and torque bolts to 4Nm.

Lube up & insert new cam follower. Refit HPFP (new O-ring, lightly oil) and torque bolts in a diagonal sequence to 10Nm.

Reattach any outstanding hoses/pipes/breather lines/electrical connectors.

Refit battery & housing and finally engine cover.

Done!

The result is a nice sounding engine at idle, no longer too much like a diesel.

NOTE: If you did end up removing the cam cover and subsequently had to clean the head, there is a chance a bit of crap made it's way inside. This will likely end up in the sump and then in the filter. I took the car for a good run the next day and then did an oil + filter change.

I apologise for how long winded this is, just wanted to try and cover as much as I could. Hope it helps people in the future.

Any questions/comments/suggestions/improvements are more than welcome.

Enjoy! :D

Reactions: Badger-a-s, NeilMc1983, Mario8P and 1 other person
hi mate. cracking write up!

i'm confused tho - only had car a few weeks and went to go get a dyno run before adding all my mods and they recommended not to do it til i get the tapping noise sorted. said it's cam chain tensioner and also fuel pump cam follower making a noise. he used a stethoscope thing to show me the sounds, but for the tensioner the stethoscope was on the left side of the engine as you stand looking at it, but it's on the right here!

i'm led to believe it's a belt on the left side, for the timing. and the car had that done along with the waterpump last year so i'd be surprised if that has a failed tensioner? plus this guy (20+ years ex audi experience, does training for audi in germany etc) definitely said chain tensioner.

so got me all confused now lol

Cheers!

Yup, belt on the left and chain on the right (as viewed from front). Worth seeking clarification as to what he was checking on the left, but doubt anything from the belt side would be making such a noise apart from possibly a shot water pump. But if you've had that replaced fairly recently, should be good.

Reactions: lincoln_dj
Thank you for the in depth write up. Saved the link for the day I inevitably have to do mine ..

Baz

Great write up. If you do manage to get the bolt out of the cam adjuster what is the torque setting for it.

Is there a list of p/n for deals and bolts anywhere ?

Last question , how can you test the tensioner to see if it is goosed or not ? Would the tensioner keep tension if the engine is turned over by hand or collapse ?

Thanks

Thanks mate.

For re-tightening the cam adjuster, torque to 20Nm and finish with an angle tightening of 45 degrees.

Any dealer will be able to help you identifying part numbers but, if you want to avoid dealer prices for the little bits, have to contact a member with access to ETKA (parts database). Sure there are plenty on this site able to help with that.

Tensioner won't keep quite as much tension when turning engine by hand as it uses a combination of spring & oil pressure. Oil is fed through tensioner when engine running to provide lube to chain.

And here are the chain and tensioner. Was nice to see them looking well lubed up!

Align mark on camshaft sprocket with mark on toothed belt cover. The indentations on camshafts face each other. Remove spark plugs to make engine easier to rotate. Fit locking tool T10252 & secure.

Compress tensioner by hand and insert locking pin T10115. Now is a good time to add a couple of reference marks; one on each cam sprocket and on the corresponding links of the chain.

You can now remove the securing bolt from the camshaft adjuster (good luck!). Assuming your luck was in, the adjuster & sprocket will have separated from the exhaust camshaft. Remove the chain & unbolt the tensioner.

If you weren't so lucky, time to get started on unbolting that cam cover. As mentioned, there are 23 bolts. Remove them working outside to inside using the sequence 6 - 1 in the diagram below.

Both camshafts will rise as the valve springs are decompressed. The exhaust cam will be held firmly in place by the toothed belt & sprocket at the opposite end, so no need to worry about losing the engine timing. It may take a bit of persuasion to break all the sealant and manoeuvre the cover off the head. Here it is:

Be prepared to spend a good couple of hours removing the remains of the OEM sealant from both the cover and the head. This is definitely the most time consuming part of the job. Here they are afterwards:

Transfer the marks you put on the old chain on to the new one (counting the links in between them). On comparing them, I could definitely feel the slack in the old chain. The new one had much less play between the links.

Reassembly:

Start by fitting the new tensioner. This must go on before the new chain! Torque bolts to 10Nm (I opted for a bit of thread lock on these, too).

Re-fit the chain. If you managed to remove the adjuster, align pin B with notch A:

Lay chain over intake sprocket starting at the top. Turn inlet camshaft slowly using tool T10020 until adjuster fits on to camshaft. Once happy, torque securing bolt for adjuster to 20Nm + 45 degree turn.

If the intake cam was out, ensure it's dirt free and oil all the bearings and lobes. Fit chain over intake sprocket first and then hold it above the exhaust sprocket. Wrap chain around it ensuring all marks match up and then pull intake cam down in to it's place (this may take a couple of attempts).

It's now worth having a couple of dry practice runs at re-fitting the cam cover. It can be a little tricky to get back on, especially as the toothed belt sprocket & backing plate are still in place. Double check the timing by sliding in tool T10252. Once you're totally happy with everything, you can now put the liquid gasket on the cam cover.

I used Loctite 573. A little goes a long way, so a 2-3mm bead is plenty. Also (as I effectively broke the seals by removing the cover), I put some over the top of the oil seals on the toothed belt end. Now, start tightening it down but this time working inside to out in the sequence 1 - 6 below:

Only hand tighten until the entire cover is flush on the head. Then, in the same sequence tighten each bolt to 8Nm. Finally, turn each bolt a further 90 degrees. This angle tightening is what applies the stretch to the bolt. Wipe off any excess sealant that seeps out inside the head/plug holes.

Pull out locking pin T10115 and rotate the engine a couple of times to let everything settle.

Now, replace the cam adjuster housing (with new gasket). Torque bolts to 10Nm.

Insert N205 valve (with new O-ring). Torque bolts to 4Nm.

Replace vacuum pump (replace seal if damaged). Torque bolts to 10Nm.

Reattach coolant pipe and wiring loom.

Install head cover (with new gasket). Hand tighten bolts and then torque to 10Nm in the sequence 1 - 14 below:

Install ignition coils.

Install valve housing (new gasket) and torque bolts to 4Nm.

Lube up & insert new cam follower. Refit HPFP (new O-ring, lightly oil) and torque bolts in a diagonal sequence to 10Nm.

Reattach any outstanding hoses/pipes/breather lines/electrical connectors.

Refit battery & housing and finally engine cover.

Done!

The result is a nice sounding engine at idle, no longer too much like a diesel.

NOTE: If you did end up removing the cam cover and subsequently had to clean the head, there is a chance a bit of **** made it's way inside. This will likely end up in the sump and then in the filter. I took the car for a good run the next day and then did an oil + filter change.

I apologise for how long winded this is, just wanted to try and cover as much as I could. Hope it helps people in the future.

Any questions/comments/suggestions/improvements are more than welcome.

Enjoy! :D
Hiy guys I recently done the timing belt and chain on my s3 8p but i seem to have lost all bottom end power but it picks up after about 4000rpm, and i have some multiple missfire fault codes, what do yous think is the issue

Hiy guys I recently done the timing belt and chain on my s3 8p but i seem to have lost all bottom end power but it picks up after about 4000rpm, and i have some multiple missfire fault codes, what do yous think is the issue
Did you ever figure it out? Sounds like bad timing to me or ecu issue?