How to sort the rear suspension on my S3 ?

Shadowman

Reaction score
My 2011 S3 s/back has the Eibach sportline front springs and I run RS3 19' alloys and tyres, but I have noticed a couple of times that if I am really pressing on around a bend, the rear seems to almost 'slew' sidewards....almost feels like it is trying to rear-wheel steer.
The tyres are the correct pressures which makes me think this is an inherent characteristic for this model , in which case what have others done to make the rear feel more planted in fast corners ?

The initial turn-in is great, it's just the transition at the rear from that point on.

Thanks.

Rear is the easiest, so do this 1st, most arb's these days have adjustment holes to tighten things up more if need be.

Great advice as always....thanks for the quick response NHN :yes:

NHN has given you his customary good advice.....the S3 from stock understeers like mad,and is a bit wobbly,so the ARBs are the first thing to correct,followed by the rest of the suspension if that mod doesn't go far enough for you.
A decent set of coilovers adds a lot as well(but more cost too),and allows a lot more adjustment.

Consider the rear trailing arm spherical bearing upgrade from 034 Motorsport too. I have a well sorted A3 with H&R suspension and a Whiteline rear sway bar and whilst its a massive improvement on stock, the rear is a little floaty at speed. Im going to purchase these shortly.Rear Trailing Arm Spherical Bearing Upgrade Kit, Volkswagen MkV/MkVI and Audi 8J/8P - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen
I think the other things are worth doing first,but I've also had the Haldex controller uprated,and had the full Superpro fast road bush kit,and antilift kit fitted.....of all the upgrades,the ARBs and coilovers probably make the biggest single difference,but the others do help as well.

Do ARB front & back + anti lift kit you will not be disappointed!:D Just make sure you fit front soft and rear hard best combo and well worth the money.

ARB will dramatically improve the handling, along with coilovers as Alex mentioned, I'm going to fully polybush my car within the next month :wub:

I think the other things are worth doing first,but I've also had the Haldex controller uprated,and had the full Superpro fast road bush kit,and antilift kit fitted.....of all the upgrades,the ARBs and coilovers probably make the biggest single difference,but the others do help as well.

Do you use this GEN4 uprated HPA competitor controller Alex? Have read some good reviews about it and thinking to give it a go at some point later this year. Would it be worth it just for the road use?

Do you use this GEN4 uprated HPA competitor controller Alex? Have read some good reviews about it and thinking to give it a go at some point later this year. Would it be worth it just for the road use?

As far as I know it's actually Gen.2,with a switched controller.

I think it IS worth it,but it's not a huge difference,more of a subtle one,and certainly loads up the 4WD system quicker,and aids traction.