HTC desire HD

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Any one else got this phone?
I got it last week and I love (went from a wildfire).
Only down side and i guess its the same for most people who has a smart phone.
The battery is shocking.
Charged it last night, unpluged at 6am and at 11am it needs charging again.

I dont understand why HTC would fit a smaller battery to a phone that has bigger screen, more memory and a more powerfull CPU.
Unless they thought this new CPU will use less battery.

Does any one else having just as bad battery life as mine?

sounds mad .. my battery seems to last all day and its not like i don't use it.

try looking in the settings to see what is using the battery up so fast, or an easy way just buy some more battery's of ebay and see if you got a dodgy battery with the phone.

Yeah, i looked at that.
The most use is the screen and the OS.
Which i'm not surpised about, 4.3" of screen will use alot of battery.

Extra battery is an idea but I like the idea of removing the little flap to swap batteries over every 5 hours.
I've got a charging cable in work, at home and in the car at the moment. Hopefully i wont get caught out.

Had mine for months. Really pleased although my original died destroying the memory card. T-Mobile sent me a recon handset as a replacement rather than a new one and althoughh agreeing to send a brand new one have not actually done so yet

Ive got the htc desire hd as well the battery life is not good ,i dont use it much for browsing etc either

I love the phone, but do tend to charge it on a daily basis.I have just turned down the screen brightness as that seems the biggest killer, and it lasted 2 days!

I dont think I help my self.
I'm on it all the time, be it msn or internet.

I've turned the screen right down and started making sure every app is switched off that i'm not using.

See if that helps.

I have had a Desire for 10 months and I found that the biggest battery killer is application syncing. Twitter for example, by default, syncs every 15 minutes. Other apps are normally very frequent too.

I have most apps set less frequently than the default but I fairly recently found that the best thing to do is turn off mobile internet and sync using the relevant widgets and I leave them off all day at work. Battery normally only drops to about 80% by the time I knock off. I then put them back on for the evening nd still have plenty of juice by bed time.

Even if that's not desirable just check how often your apps are syncing. Twitter goes back to the default each time it updates and I'm pretty sure FB does too.

I changed all my sync settings, screen settings and stopped it vibrating when I type things.
I think I gained a couple of hours from the battery.
I turn off mobile data when in work if i had proper internet.

Try installing battery graph, from the discharge slop you can work out at what times of the day your battery is getting zapped.

qr_code.png

I got one too!

When I first got it was having to charge it every half day.... but maybe I was just playing with it all the time.

Now with brightness down, wifi on but pretty much everything else off (most syncs etc) with minimal use it lasts approx 1.5-2days.

Which I think is still naff, compared to old phones that would last for 3-5 days.

I heard about 'rooting' them removing apps that you do not use that are hard wired in to the phone. I have yet to do this but heard it can help the battery last much longer?!

Mike

I seem to be getting an issue with mine not always making a sound when i recieve a text message.

Anyone else had a similair problem?

Can't say that I have, I know one day mine just decided to just keep turning itself off every 5 min. removed all apps and re-installed been OK.

Mike

Ive had mine for the last month, the missus got a right deal cos of a **** up and now has an Iphone4 so i got the HD and i havent sync'd f-all, i use it alot weather it be msn or fb and found the best tool i could have downloaded was a decent app killer!
Battery needs charging daily and by about 8pm its almost dead!

MY Desire HD went a bit mental yesteday.
The app kept crash and i was unable to sent any text, Next thing i knew all my text msgs was removed.
Not a single one was remaining. :(

Any one else had this happen?
Or 3G signal to be lost completly when opening the android market or youtube?

I have no idea Axios, but I did read on the bbc website this morning that about 50 apps have been removed from the markletplace due to containing a virus. Might be worth checking it out. Doesn't sound like this is the cause, but i'd consider it anyway. We do more stuff on our phones than ever before, even internet banking...a cheeky scrote stealing all our info could be very bad.

I also thought that android stored all your backup on 'the cloud' so that you can restore all messages etc?

I think it might have been an app that screwed it all up.
I've been playing about with different apps the last couple of days, trying different home screen and such.

I got AVG installed and it scans every changes and not reported any thing.
Did not think it did text msgs, I'll have a look and see what it does back up.

I heard about some apps coming from russia that does nasty things.

From what I read the apps were popular ones that were repackaged to include the virus and distrubuted by another developer. The best advice with any app is to look at the number of downloads. Many are saying that the open source nature of Android leaves it open to hackers but this is the first such case and I'm confident that Google will be putting processes in place to prevent it happening again.

In terms of backups, Android doesn't store SMSs or MMSs on the cloud. There are a number of apps that can do this though, the best I found is just called SMS Backup I think, I can't give the developer's name right now. It uploads all your SMSs to your GMail account and they're stored under labels just like emails. However you can't then restore them to the phone. I now use 'MyBackup Pro' (RerWare) which does let you restore them.

Rogue apps do exist that simply mess things up on your phone. It happens less now but it's always worth having a backup app so you can do a factory reset with confidence. The last time I did a reset it took less than an hour to get my phone back to 100%.

Yeah, I remember from when I had my android phone that it was really quick to get it back going as before. My iPhone is pretty quick too.

And I read the same thing, that people were re-distributing the same apps, but including a virus. Apparently the virus found doesn't work on gingerbread though, which I guess shows Google are aware of this kind of thing. Open source has its benefits, and flaws.

I dont really back my phone, Never felt a need really.
All my apps I can redownload and the only thing I really need is my contacts and that goes to the cloud.
Thanks for the info though.

Swings and abouts with both open and non-open software, Me and the brother-in-law was having a "My phone is better than your phone" the other day.
My HTC Desire HD Vs His Iphone4. It was all ways pretty even apart from getting to email or text msgs first. I kicked his ***, Cause I got a different lock screen that can go direct to your email or sms. lol
I think the HTC feels nicer in the hand, No so brick lick, even thought it is bigger.

I'd love both phones to be honest. In fact, if I could i'd change my phone every week, as I love trying them all. However, I had to settle on one or the mrs would have left me. I went with an iPhone, and I love it.

Try Downloading Advanced Task Killer from the market, and its free. I get a good day & half out of my HTC Desire.

I don't think open source will ever be totally fool proof as you're relying on a small development department trying to identify each and every hole whilst the dodgy people in the rest of the world are doing the same. However FireFox has proven that it works very well.

Backing up apps is a good idea as it also backs up the data associated with that app too, such as saved game data in some cases.

Task killers shouldn't be used with Android: Droid Den - Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer - Droid Den

Who uses the Facebook app on their Desire? And if so do you get any notifications when someone comments on a status??

Mine doesnt and i kind of miss that after it used to on my Blackberry.

I have never had a notification for status comments, only for messages recieved, friend requests and that.

It annoys me having to keep checking back and refreshing when people are commenting!

FB notifications has been a real issue recently but it seems okay now.

You can't get notifications on comments with the app but if you have your Gmail account linked with your FB account and set up email notifications you'll get an email as soon as someone comments.

Thanks, on a side note then , if i use gmail do the emails come through instantly or do i have to set it like i do with my Yahoo account to check at certain time intervals?

Nope, Gmail is push so it's instantly. It's worth considering moving to gmail as your primary address. I used Hotmail for 10 years and now I have seen how good Gmail is and moved to it.

I do habe a Gmail address as it happens as i think i had to set one up to be able to use the market.So maybe i shall give it a try!

Thanks

Yeah I'm sure you do but I've found that quite a few new Android users just have their Gmail account only because of the Market and still use Yahoo/Hotmail as their primary account. I fully recommend chinning off Yahoo/Hotmail in favour of Gmail as it give your so much more.

Well once i set up my Gmail to autosync, i tested it and sent an email from my missus phone and it came through pretty quick. So linked it up to facebook and sorted!

Cheers for the info, shall be using Gmail instead of Yahoo now!

The only issue I have with the DHD is the battery life.
But you can help emproving that with the above tips.
apart from that the phone is amazing.

I miss mine.
HTC has had it for almost 4 weeks now.

Same here - I have the desire Z which has a superb keyboard (cant get on with the soft keyboards). but battery is an issue and it is down to data sync. I have my works email pushed to it plus watch out for apps and widgets that sync in the background (there is an option to stop this). Things like tube chaser etc update live to the widget and sap the battery.