HUD display need vs want?

zenyagami

Reaction score
I didn't choose the HUD display because i though "the virtual cockpit is great" and it is, but here in Germany i need to keep the speed limit and I'm looking down all the time, i see the option to retrofit, but I'm not sure if it's a waste of money, does someone has experience with HUD display? And if worth the money?
Also I saw it can display the routes but probably only Audi navigation, I'm using Android auto with Google maps.

Use it all the time. I’ve never had it before but love this gadget.

not sure how they’d retrofit though, that’s top of dash out to be installed etc, must be expensive. Not sure I’d love it that much, especially when there are some nice aftermarket devices out there.

Use it all the time. I’ve never had it before but love this gadget.

not sure how they’d retrofit though, that’s top of dash out to be installed etc, must be expensive. Not sure I’d love it that much, especially when there are some nice aftermarket devices out there.
Someone on a previous Ford Focus forum I was a member of managed to retrofit. A huge huge job! Dash out, lots of cutting, parts, coding etc. The cost was easily 3-4 times what it would’ve cost at factory.

Someone on a previous Ford Focus forum I was a member of managed to retrofit. A huge huge job! Dash out, lots of cutting, parts, coding etc. The cost was easily 3-4 times what it would’ve cost at factory.
I bet! Sounds like a right hassle. I’ve got no links but I have seen some interesting aftermarket HUD’s out there, which I’m sure linked to Apple/Android products.

I'm asking because i saw it in the Audi official website, so i though if they sell this maybe there is a way not that complicated to do it but I'm not sure tho

https://shops.audi.com/de_DE/web/zubehoer/komfort-schutz/assistenzsysteme/head-up-displays
That’s not a bad price really, but then no idea on how it’s fitted. Maybe cars without HUD already have a ‘lid’ in the dash top which pops out to allow this to be fitted? Sure someone will be along with the technical answer/solution soon

You need to buy the "hud ready" package when you buy the car. I did so and on top of my dash there is a panel that can be taken out , hud module set in and coded and there you go.
Its just a pitty that , if you buy it from factory it projects on windshield , but the retrofit will project it onto a glass that raises from the hud module.