Humming Noise

fafa

Reaction score
My Dad was driving with me on a long journey this weekend and he pointed out that there was an unusual noise coming from the front of the car. It's a whirring/humming noise at the mid range that changes pitch with road speed not engine speed. A bit of online research and I think it might be the wheel bearing, is there any other thoughts on what it might be?

My Dad was driving with me on a long journey this weekend and he pointed out that there was an unusual noise coming from the front of the car. It's a whirring/humming noise at the mid range that changes pitch with road speed not engine speed. A bit of online research and I think it might be the wheel bearing, is there any other thoughts on what it might be?

Depends on the humming but you are correct at looking at the final drive train, one thing also to consider is the covers on the bottom of certain cars. These sometimes come loose and start ‘catching’ the wind and vibrate accordingly. Simple to check bu getting under the car and having a look, while under there check the CV boots for cracks/leaks

If its a wheel bearing it can be checked by checking the heat of the wheel once a journey is completed. A bearing that is going will start to produce more heat as friction increases, compare the opposing side wheels. Not a absolute accurate check but it worked for me in a Golf I used to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much tread is left on your tyres ?
If you are getting low I would replace those first (check tracking as well) - then look at bearings.

Update. It's in with the local garage for the ecu light from my other thread and he's said that this noise is the bearing. 160 to replace inc Vat. With the pump costing similar a couple of months ago I'm starting to wonder if it's time to change and put the extra I'm paying out in repairs towards a high monthly on a newer car.

Hello guys,

I have somewhat similar problem on my 180kw Quattro with around 105t km (65t miles), that can be seen on a video I found on youtube (not mine car) -

This buzzing/whining/whistle noise occurs only at speeds from like 80kmh to 120kmh (lets say 50mph to 80mph). It is in fact only noticable when cruising and keeping steady speed or slowly accelerating, but when you hammer it or do not push gas at all the noise almost disappears (other noises come to be more noticable). Shifting to other gears do not affect the tone or intensity, so it only is speed dependant (as it seems to me). In hwy speeds (in my country it is around 90 mph) I do not notice the noise, the worst scenario is quiet asphalt and cruising aroung 60-80mph...

I would love to think it is wheel bearing, but I have not found a single video with bad WB making this high pitch sound... Any ideas? Differential bearings? ...

Thank you for your inputs guys.

PS: Sorry for my English - not native, but I hope it will do...

Daniel J.

Hello guys,

I have somewhat similar problem on my 180kw Quattro with around 105t km (65t miles), that can be seen on a video I found on youtube (not mine car) -

This buzzing/whining/whistle noise occurs only at speeds from like 80kmh to 120kmh (lets say 50mph to 80mph). It is in fact only noticable when cruising and keeping steady speed or slowly accelerating, but when you hammer it or do not push gas at all the noise almost disappears (other noises come to be more noticable). Shifting to other gears do not affect the tone or intensity, so it only is speed dependant (as it seems to me). In hwy speeds (in my country it is around 90 mph) I do not notice the noise, the worst scenario is quiet asphalt and cruising aroung 60-80mph...

I would love to think it is wheel bearing, but I have not found a single video with bad WB making this high pitch sound... Any ideas? Differential bearings? ...

Daniel J.

That doesn't sound like mine did.

Hello guys,

Daniel J.

I Daniel,
did you ever find out what was causing the high pitch noise on your car ?