Hybrid modes (battery hold vs charge battery)

zenyagami

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm curious about how this modes works, hybrid mode it should use battery and petrol in a smart way, but for example if my battery is empty, and i use hold mode, the battery should be charged right and not be used if i understand correctly. But i think is not like that.
And there is a option to charge battery but I'm curious, this mode also use petrol to help charge the battery? Or don't use the petrol at all, only the regenerative brakes?
If this is true I'm curious why is not doing this in battery hold. I tried to search online but I'm not sure if charge battery also increase petrol consumption.
Sorry for a noob question.
Thanks a lot

Hello everyone, I'm curious about how this modes works, hybrid mode it should use battery and petrol in a smart way, but for example if my battery is empty, and i use hold mode, the battery should be charged right and not be used if i understand correctly. But i think is not like that.
And there is a option to charge battery but I'm curious, this mode also use petrol to help charge the battery? Or don't use the petrol at all, only the regenerative brakes?
If this is true I'm curious why is not doing this in battery hold. I tried to search online but I'm not sure if charge battery also increase petrol consumption.
Sorry for a noob question.
Thanks a lot
Assuming the Audi charge modes are typical for a PHEV:

Charge Hold mode is intended to hold the battery level about where it already is. It essentially makes the car behave like a normal hybrid: using a smaller amount of the total battery capacity to store regen and boost the engine.

A typical use case for this mode is that your destination is a town or city in which you want to use pure electric mode; so you can tell the car not to use up the battery until you get there.

The battery charge mode bleeds power from the engine to recharge the battery. (The car will also continue to regen and to use the battery to boost the engine when it needs it, as per a normal hybrid.) Note that this increases your fuel consumption (the energy from the engine doesn’t come for free) and is less efficient than charging the battery by plugging the car in.

I’m happy to be corrected by 45 TFSi owners if I have any of this wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElDingo
Thanks a lot, that's what i though that the charge mode probably increase the fuel consumption, but i can't find how much ,
Thanks a lot for the clarification

Reactions: AdamInKent
Hi. Had my 45tfsi e for about two weeks now. The car is great, but the hybrid modes are annoying the hell out of me. Is there any way to set a a specific mode on start up? As every time i start my car, it defaults to ev only. Same for lane assist. Want to permanently turn it off, but have to do it every time i start.

Hi. Had my 45tfsi e for about two weeks now. The car is great, but the hybrid modes are annoying the hell out of me. Is there any way to set a a specific mode on start up? As every time i start my car, it defaults to ev only. Same for lane assist. Want to permanently turn it off, but have to do it every time i start.
Same here, had my 45 for 2 weeks, done 1500 miles. Loving the car. Yes i find that annoying too., it starting in EV every time. I am not sure if this can be changed. However, still loving its quickness and handling, Its in sport mode all the time.
Top speed so far recorded using a Vbox is 141.867mph, 0-60 in 6.734secs. Note that was on a disused RAF runway not on our motorway and road network.

I've had my 40 since last September and I'm very pleased with how it derives etc. Having played with the modes over different distances, these are my comments and observations:
1. It always starts in EV only mode and with Lane Assist active - no way to change this (coding may work, but I think the 8Y is more restrictive than previous models?).
2. Hybrid mode should balance between battery and petrol - I believe if you program a destination in the nav system, it is supposed to try and intelligently spread the battery use across the journey, but I'm not convinced how accurate?
3. Battery hold mode uses petrol for most of the time, though it will still pull away in battery and very low speed manoeuvres will still use battery. In battery hold mode it does not charge the battery other than by brake regen.
4. Battery charge mode will run on petrol and use some of the engine power to recharge the battery. I've read that this takes a big hit on MPG and I've never tried it in 5000 miles!
5. I generally use the modes like this:
  • Local journeys where total expected mileage up to 30 miles - leave in pure EV mode
  • Journeys where total mileage expected up to say 120 miles - start in hybrid mode. If there is much battery left on the way home, I switch to pure EV mode to use up any remaining battery.
  • Extended journeys I put in Battery Hold mode from the start. Again, on the way home switch to Hybrid or EV mode to use up remaining battery. On a recent week away, with no easy access to charging, I used Battery Hold mode the whole week (about 800 miles) of mixed driving. I still had over 1/4 battery left when I got home and each day averaged between 50-60 MGP (40 TFSI e).
Overall I have been impressed with the way it drives and the switching between EV and petrol really is seamless and it can be hard to know which mode you are in without looking at the dash!
I paid for the FOD adaptive cruise control - which works extremely well and I'm pleased I paid what seemed like a lot of money to activate it! Be careful if in sport mode though, as the acceleration back to the preset speed can seem a little excessive if there is traffic around! I normally run in Comfort mode with the ACC on and it seems a good balance.
I don't have Traffic Sign recognition, but the car seems to 'spookily' know when speed limits change or roundabouts/junctions are approaching and if you have lifted off the accelerator, it will seemingly automatically brake down to the new speed limit or as you approach a junction!
Touch wood, absolutely no issues in 9 months and nearly 6000 miles.

Reactions: Vic20, FishyFinger and AdamInKent
I have a routine when I get in the car:
1. Select key holder
2. Start ignition
3. Select battery hold or battery charge (depends where I'm going). Or rarely leave it in EV to go to the Post Office.
4. Press and hold the button to turn off lane assist
5. Press to enable Speed Limiter
I have to admit that this is getting very tedious.

Reactions: pocket