Hybrid Turbo Build List: Anything Missing?

LindsayJDM8L

Reaction score
Hello all, I've done my best to finalize this build myself; but I'll probably benefit from having someone else check it over.

A few things to note: My goal is 325-350hp. I have a BAM engine. The car is LHD. 125,000 kilometres or 78,000 miles on the odometer. Timing belt and water pump changed this spring.

Engine Internals:

Forged, rifle-drilled rods (IE)
Exhaust valves, triple groove, iconel (Supertech)
Intake valves, triple groove (Supertech)
Valvetrain kit; springs, retainers, spring seats (Supertech)
Main bearings, calico coated (ACL)
Rod bearings, calico coated (IE)
Piston rings (OE)
Crank damper bolt (ARP)
Main stud kit (ARP)
Headbolts (OE)
-Gaskets will be supplied by the mechanic.
-Piston walls will be lightly honed/deglazed.
-Do I need bolts for crank damper pulley to timing gear?

Engine Performance:

K04-380 (AET)
Exhaust manifold (Turbo Concepts)
Fuel injectors, 550cc (Bosch)
FMIC (Wagner)
80mm TIP (Turbo Concepts)
Cone filter (Jetex)
Coilpack upgrade (Audi R8)
Fuel pump (DW65)
Oil pump (OE)
-what hoses and or pipes should I replace?

Exhaust:

3" downpipe w/ 200 cell sport cat (CTS Turbo)
Downpipe installation kit; studs, nuts, gasket (ECS)
2.75" non-resonated catback (Milltek)
-How does the downpipe connect to the Milltek catback?

Brakes:

4 Piston front calipers w/ 330mm discs (Porsche)
Rear brake kit OE calipers w/ 306mm discs (ECS)
-Brake pads and fluid are TBD.

Suspension and more:

Dampers (Bilstein B8)
Springs; 25mm lowering (H&R)
Adjustable rear tie bars (Forge)
Spacers; 15mm rear, 10mm front (H&R)
ARBs; 25mm front, 21mm rear (H&R)
All new bushings (Powerflex; except front wishbone rear bushings: OE)

The exhaust manifold and TIP are from a German site that I kind of took a chance on: https://www.turbo-concepts.de/ (I use google chrome to translate it).

I know I'll probably need a WMI kit for the power I want (325-350hp), is it most sensible to install it with everything else?

Thank you for reading.

Thats some list lol
I'd maybe change ur injectors from the 550cc to 610cc ones also I'd go 3" from the turbo back and a decat instead of the sports cat it will prob be a bit restricted at the 2.7"
You said about what pipes ro replace well I replaced most of my engine ones for silicone ones. If you haven't done any deletes I'd do the n249 and put in a catch can.
You probably won't need meth to get ur 325-350hp as the aet380 turbo is very capable of that (I made 402hp with it but I used meth aswell) and you might aswell get the meth fitted at the same time as the rest.
You should also think about running the ignitron ecu and run maf less its better for tunning.

Reactions: LindsayJDM8L and Farmor00
I have the pipewerks 3inch downpipe to milltek non res you need an adapter sleeve in the pipe speak to them and they’ll send you one think it was only £15
2fc5affb3c80a7ab626993c41c734bd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LindsayJDM8L
Note that most 80 tips dont fit LHD cars. I know for a fact HG-Motorsports one fits BAM LHD. Never heard of turbo concepts before.
Also the Wagner cooler is quite expensive, from what ive heard the Airtec one is cheaper and provides the same results while also not requiring any visible trimming of the front bumper.

Note that most 80 tips dont fit LHD cars. I know for a fact HG-Motorsports one fits BAM LHD. Never heard of turbo concepts before.
Also the Wagner cooler is quite expensive, from what ive heard the Airtec one is cheaper and provides the same results while also not requiring any visible trimming of the front bumper.

Airtec becomes really restrictive when seeking higher HP numbers

Like hydro mentioned, I changed my airtec for a Wellycooler along with other parts and made gains. End of the day it’s down to how well the engine performs, mine was reluctant to do anything we wanted it to do, wouldn’t take timing, knock was in sight. Where as Hydros engine has done extremely well to produce 402bhp on 97 rom fuel, etc.

@hydro s3 Thanks for the advice! I'll get the 610cc injectors then. And for now i'm already committed to the dp and sport cat since its already been purchased, I'll see how it goes. And that's good to know about the WMI. And lastly I've definitely made note to change pipes (turbo hose, upper boost hoses, upper left boost hose; I think new intercooler hoses are included in the Wagner FMIC kit. The n249 delete is something I will need to gain a clearer understanding of; same with catch can. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

@Brad1011 Thank you! Perfect! I'll contact pipewerx

@Farmor00 Yeah I definitely anticipate a tight fit. And yeah I have the HG Motorsport one in mind as a back up; I've read that a few people have had success with it. My hope is that since Turbo Concepts is german they've developed the TIP for LHD. Regardless, the mechanic doing this will probably encounter some headaches. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. And I'll definitely report back on how the Turbo Concepts stuff fits. As for the Wagner intercooler, my main priority is getting a kit that will cause the mechanic the least annoyance (I wish I had the space and help to do it myself). And I think between Wagner and Airtech the Wagner will install a bit more smoothly; at least that's what I've been reading.

@S3AMJ any insight into why your engine is behaving so differently compared to Hydros?

Reactions: Farmor00
[mention]LindsayJDM8L [/mention] I guess mine was a little worn, the build only had rods, exhaust valves and springs changed, but there is no real telling why engines differ so much. Pot luck really when your only doing those sort of mods.

However the engine that’s currently being built should be a different ball game, everything is being freshly built from the ground up effectively. Everything is balanced, weighted, dampr pulley and so on. Meaning the engine will be built to minimise as much potential knock as possible while hopefully allowing to take as much timing as possible….. oh and as much boost as possible “safely”