HYBRID TURBO OR 170PD TURBO?

A3-BEN

Reaction score
hi all

its time for the next stage and im in two minds about what is best. i have a 140pd and have been told that the 170pd turbos are a straight swap. is this correct?
i have then however been told that i would be better getting a hybrid 140 turbo as i wont have as much lag with this.

any advice on which route i should go down is greatly appreciated

What do hybrid 140 and stock 170 top out at with your current fueling or bigger nozzles required ?

Based on what I have read, 170 turbo doesn't fit 140. So hybrid is the best option.

Reactions: Bedders
get a hybrid Turbo m8 best way to go if you want 220bhp what ftlbs u after ?

you will need a clutch to take the power as well .

A miltek exhaust will help as well

a PD170 turbo won't make 220BHP at the wheels, you need a hybrid for that.

My old PD170 TDi golf made 224bhp and 376lbs ft with a DPF delete pipe, full miltek and pipercross panel filter.

Revo were using my car as a test mule for DPF off software, before they scrapped it as the PD170 wasn't stable enough.

Went well, for a 4 pot diesel

So, yes, a PD170 turbo would get you the power figures you're after with right supporting mods and a decent live map

but its not a direct fit and you got 224 bhp , with a hybrid ,a live map and the full front 150 intercooler i got 241bhp .
nephew had a4 170 ppd with a hybrid and remap at rs in leeds and only got 229 bhp alot of pennies for only a few ponies .

The standard 140 nozzles are supposed to be good for 250bhp. I have a BMC CDA intake so Hopefully with a hybrid 140 turbo, a decent exhaust then a custom map I will be some where near the 220 mark. Don't know what sort of ftlb I'll be at but I'm guessing somewhere around 380. I've DSG so is it worth while up rating the clutch or do you think it can stand that?

From my research and speaking to Darkside, the standard pd140 nozzles will only safely do 220-230, after that you will start to risk very high EGTs.
the 170 has larger injectors, so is able to make more power on just a map. Apart from the fact that the 170 turbo is not a straight swap, you will not see 220-230 like the 170 does because of the injector limitations.
I am in the same situation with my BKD, I am looking at this with stock injectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-G...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20e9de1839
Or this with 120% nozzles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-G...764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e924e7364

the standard pd140 nozzles will only safely do 220-230, after that you will start to risk very high EGTs.

That is correct, based on the research I've done. I recall when @Ash187 had his hybrid fitted he also commented, can't find the thread to make sure though.

Reactions: bentwenty
Isn't 140 bhp turbo vacuum actuator and 170 bhp electronic actuator? If so not exactly a straight swap?

The 170 does not fit, Buy a more expensive ball bearing 140 / 170 hybrid, not the £350 pieces of XXXX on fleabay!
You will also need it remapped.

@Bedders - you can buy any turbo converted

Darkside developments offer a wide variety of turbochargers for example

True you can but you never know what quality 'cartridge' you are getting on the converted turbo? Unbalanced or poorly balanced centre cartridge inserts soon shake themselves to bits & leak / whistle quite quickly. Hit in the pocket & learnt by that mistake!