I hope the colour matches.......................

steeve

Reaction score
I noticed a short while ago that some paint had flaked off the lip of the rear bumper inside the wheel arch, the bit at the bottom behind the wheel.

Looks like Audi have requested the Dealer replaces the whole bumper. So I hope the paint colour matches and they take care of the car whilst its in.

It did that on my A1 too and has happened on my S3.

It appears its over spray as it is just paint on black plastic and isn't lacquered. Appears to be no base coat. I'm going to leave mine as cant be doing with the hassle after getting my bonnet resprayed!

Hope it goes OK

I would avoid any paintwork if possible, its just never going to match like factory, the last time I had a bumper replaced they wanted to paint part of each of the quarter panels to " blend in "

I have this also, as above, any pics would be very much appreciated.

Ta

Are they replacing or re painting ? Some manufacturers have bumpers painted by the supplier and arrive at the car pre-painted I know Jaguar do this on some models.

We had a front bumper done on the wife's A4 Avant which was done by Listers the supplying dealer due to some stone chips we spotted during buying. Each time the car was jet washed the paint would come off so it was done at least twice - that was Ibis white and I put that down to poor surface prep and just blowing over certain areas not the whole bumper.

Also worth remembering the bumper will also look a shade different to the surrounding metal panels so use the front bumper to wing as a comparison. Something due to different primers used on the different substrates I'm told.

Reactions: Pulp84
I would avoid any paintwork if possible, its just never going to match like factory, the last time I had a bumper replaced they wanted to paint part of each of the quarter panels to " blend in "

I'd have to disagree with this. Whilst I do hate to get any paintwork done (on my previous s3 8p model, I owned it for 7 years and never had any done). However, last summer having owned my new s3 for only 6 weeks there was a mark across the rear bumper that appeared to have been done by someone reversing and scraping alongside me. Fortunately it was far away from any other panel so I just needed the bumper working on. I took it to someone who had been recommended and it was a quality job. I would challenge anyone to spot it.
Whilst I understand your fear, there are some quality jobs that can get done which leave you never knowing!

Its a difficult place to photograph with the rear wheel on, but I think the attached shows the problem.
I also have a feeling that there's no preparation of the area by the supplier. Perhaps that's why Audi want the whole bumper cover back?

I'm worried that if its not done then water will get under the paint and it will start to separate further. It has a tough life in the area that it lives.
I've told them that on no account are they touch the paint on the rest of the vehicle.

DSC00380

Attachments

• DSC00380.JPG
    DSC00380.JPG
    572.2 KB · Views: 185
From the looks of that, it's inside the bumper on the rearmost/lowermost part of the rear wheelarch? If so, I'm positive that masking off the outside of the bumper and inside the wheelarch (to prevent overspray) and touching it in with Sepang will have it looking right as rain. Within a couple of weeks you'll forget it was ever there and nobody buying the car when you come to sell it on would ever spot it or even think to look.

I don't think I should have to start touching up incorrectly painted areas on an almost forty grand car. I was expecting the dealer to do it in situ with the wheel off.
Plus the paint that's left doesn't look as though it's adhered so if I touch it up with a brush and the area not prepared or primed is larger than what is shown I'm stuffed in making a warranty claim.

I'm not suggesting you should have to do it, but that the dealer does. ie no need for them to repaint/replace the entire bumper and risk there being a mismatch. Repainting just that inside part will, to all intents and purposes, be invisible.

Audi want the bumper back so that is what they will only agree to............. They apparently wont agree to the dealer doing anything else. Like I said I only hope the colour matches.
The dealer did say that there are several shades of Sepang and they will spray up several test panels first.

Madness, massive waste of money on their part. Blinkered, 'reading from a script' things like this does make you wonder what happened to good old fashioned common sense...

I know suppliers make and paint the parts, so it may well be that Audi need the component for supplier quality issues.

That's exactly what's happened to mine steeve.....

I've put it down to over zealous use of my Karcher :(

if you can avoid it don't have the bumper painted, I rejected a car when they couldn't get it to match - glacier white

Its a difficult place to photograph with the rear wheel on, but I think the attached shows the problem.
I also have a feeling that there's no preparation of the area by the supplier. Perhaps that's why Audi want the whole bumper cover back?

I'm worried that if its not done then water will get under the paint and it will start to separate further. It has a tough life in the area that it lives.
I've told them that on no account are they touch the paint on the rest of the vehicle.

View attachment 56576

Thanks for the photo, that's exactly where mine has the same issue. It's back in at Audi again on Wednesday, I'll see what they have to say about it.

Wow, if that was me Id slap some underseal on it and forget about it rather than let them mess about repainting the bumper....

However, with warranties nowadays you have to play the manufacturers game even when it seems silly!

the same has happened to our Q5, in exactly the same place. I've just ignored it!