I know nothing about cars so forgive this question!

The Real Big Vern

Reaction score
Ok, so just handed back my A4 3.0 tdi 272 quattro and taken delivery of a new S3 saloon.

When I put my foot down in the A4, it shifted, the torque was great, pushed me back into the seat and flew, you knew you were accelerating!

There's none of that in the S3, yes it goes when you put your foot down, but no push back like in the A4, feels very underwhelming :(

What's the difference?

Ok, so just handed back my A4 3.0 tdi 272 quattro and taken delivery of a new S3 saloon.

When I put my foot down in the A4, it shifted, the torque was great, pushed me back into the seat and flew, you knew you were accelerating!

There's none of that in the S3, yes it goes when you put your foot down, but no push back like in the A4, feels very underwhelming :(

What's the difference?

The Torque difference is huge mate, that’ll be what you felt in the A4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Torque difference is huge mate, that’ll be what you felt in the A4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gutted :( feels like the fun has all gone!

So which one is faster from a stand still, the A4 or the S3?

Give it some time to adjust. Turbo Diesel engines always feel quicker than they are because oft the low end torque, but the power disappears as the revs climb. Petrol engines keep a far smoother torque curve, so the power remains consistent as the revs build - or even increases. I enjoyed a couple of diesels in the past, but I'd not go back now.

Gutted :( feels like the fun has all gone!

So which one is faster from a stand still, the A4 or the S3?
The S3 will only be faster from standstill if the launch control is in operation otherwise I'd say they'd be nowt in it
Also new petrol engines take a few thousands miles to run in well my MY15 and MY18 cars did at around the 7k miles mark

The S3 will only be faster from standstill if the launch control is in operation otherwise I'd say they'd be nowt in it
Also new petrol engines take a few thousands miles to run in well my MY15 and MY18 cars did at around the 7k miles mark
Launch control?

There's none of that in the S3,
It maybe worth mentioning here that, despite what dealers might say (mine explicitly told me there was no need to run the car in) the A3 manual recommends a run in period of 1500km for the engine, during which you shouldn’t use full throttle. (It might be that the higher price of the S3 buys you a fully run-in engine, but I’d guess not.)

Yea tell me about it, had a 2.0TDI 150 PS, then later had a 1.5T with 150PS. On paper the latter is faster to 60mph by half a sec. However the 2.0TDI's 320Nm torques give me a massive shove in the back, where as the 250Nm of the 1.5 just a small shove does it.

Yea tell me about it, had a 2.0TDI 150 PS, then later had a 1.5T with 150PS. On paper the latter is faster to 60mph by half a sec. However the 2.0TDI's 320Nm torques give me a massive shove in the back, where as the 250Nm of the 1.5 just a small shove does it.
Same, I came from a Passat with 2.0 TDI.

I'm getting used to the 1.5 TSFI, and have noticed it's quicker once up to speed, but do miss the pull of the torque when taking off

Same, I came from a Passat with 2.0 TDI.

I'm getting used to the 1.5 TSFI, and have noticed it's quicker once up to speed, but do miss the pull of the torque when taking off
Sometimes my previous 2.0TDI DSG would even enter the roundabout (didn't come to complete stop) and take off in D2 (2nd gear), and it still had some shove, maybe even more than the 1.5TSI with D1.

wow looking at the engine options for the A4 now, nearest i could get to the one I've handed back is 265 ps vs the 272ps i had.

wow looking at the engine options for the A4 now, nearest i could get to the one I've handed back is 265 ps vs the 272ps i had.
Your S3 performance will improve you just need to learn how to get the most out if it...Super unleaded fuel is a must

Reactions: pburv, Moots and Sparks43