I think i'm getting 'turbo bark'

marwayg

Reaction score
New car 2007 2.0 Tdi (140)...

I believe i am getting turbo bark when i accelerate harder in 2nd and 3rd.
Not sure if it is a problem or not as some people call it bad for the turbo life and some call it a myth.

It is not as bad (or loud) as you would expect, but i dont know whether it is going to be a problem. Especially as i want to remap it sooon.

What do you think?

Here is a video of an example of turbo bark (this is very loud and the duration of the bark is very long compared to mine).

06 cummins turbo bark - YouTube

Ive read people's definition of a turbo bark, but never seen one on a audi a3, let alone any audi at all !!
( explained here : turbo bark explained - YouTube )

I get it too, just excess boost. (S3 stage 2 shark 2012 though)

Sounds pretty cool though, get alot of looks from people on the pavement...my noise now goes down the 100mm ducting hose i put in, which sits next to front right fog light and feeds into the engine bay beneath the CAI, so it really scares people ;)

heres mine, ignore the rubbish video, just listen :)

p.s i only get it if i plant my foot in 4th at a speed slightly to slow for 4th...then wait for boost to build up....then when you think your at full boost, change to 5th or 6th... (im DSG) then woooosshhhh

flutter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
That does not sound like a TDI, what exhaust are you running?

That does not sound like a TDI, what exhaust are you running?

mines an S3 mate... Full Miltek no res.

Marwayg's is a 140 tdi, are you standard? i wouldnt expect it to do it standard...

your's is a S3 mate..... petrol... it has an internal dump valve!
Same with the focus ST's. They have an internal dump and give that noise too!

but my situation is with a TDi diesel in 2nd and 3rd. Doesnt sound like a dump valve, sound more like a high pitched half a second whine

It's an S3. Says in his post and on the clocks

Edit: Too much time spent watching vids haha

I get it too, just excess boost. (S3 stage 2 shark 2012 though)

Sounds pretty cool though, get alot of looks from people on the pavement...my noise now goes down the 100mm ducting hose i put in, which sits next to front right fog light and feeds into the engine bay beneath the CAI, so it really scares people ;)

heres mine, ignore the rubbish video, just listen :)

p.s i only get it if i plant my foot in 4th at a speed slightly to slow for 4th...then wait for boost to build up....then when you think your at full boost, change to 5th or 6th... (im DSG) then woooosshhhh

flutter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I love that! 😍

It's an S3. Says in his post and on the clocks

Edit: Too much time spent watching vids haha

confused.com?

hes got a 'New car 2007 2.0 Tdi (140)...'

edit - eat my foot, i now understand haha please ignore

haha i love how the topic was on about 2.0 Tdi.... and the S3 takes over the thread :p

haha i love how the topic was on about 2.0 Tdi.... and the S3 takes over the thread :p

really sorry buddy :keule: Just thought it was same sort of thing...

At least its not another TYRE thread!!

ill go hide now!!!

LOL dont apologise...at Least we have the same noise! :rock: (whether its a good thing for my turbo or not)

The note sounds really deep for some reason, must be my headphones

I will try upload a video soon of the noise I am getting

If that helps my 2.0 tdi makes that sound when the boost is built-up and I lift the foot off the accelerator pedal.

If that helps my 2.0 tdi makes that sound when the boost is built-up and I lift the foot off the accelerator pedal.

Nice to know I'm not alone! :)

Any idea if it's a potential problem or whether I should be worried?