I think my car has a boost leak but i'm not sure?

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
I have a 2.0 TDI 140 and the car feels slow however its always been like this since i bought it.

When I floor the car it it takes awhile for it to climb the revs then after 2600-2800 revs its like its got nothing left to give so I have to change gear.

Also while its climbing revs I can hear the turbo's "air" (intake?) and when I let off it sounds like I have a rubbish very quiet blow off valve.

I would say in my car only 2nd and 3rd gear is where any power is.

I honestly don't know if its normal because ive never driven a turbo car before, I came from a 1.2 fiat punto so even a 2.0 tdi with a boost leak would feel faster to me but overtime ive noticed that it might not be as quick as it should be

EDIT: If it helps I have VCDS im not sure if I could get turbo readings from it though?

If the power is that low and boost related, i'd expect to see a fault code.
Have you scanned for any?

If the power is that low and boost related, i'd expect to see a fault code.
Have you scanned for any?

Theres 3 Auto HVAC codes 1 is mechanical failure and 2 is air quality sensors. But other than that theres nothing

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF and driving it?
If it drives better without it connected then the MAF is faulty and at best will need a clean, and at worst will need replacing.

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF and driving it?
If it drives better without it connected then the MAF is faulty and at best will need a clean, and at worst will need replacing.

No i haven't tried that. The engine it's self runs perfect and smooth it just feels not quick and that combined with air noises from the engine i'm assuming just a boost leak

Process off elimation , check your quiet BOV is tight ( screws ) etc

Like mentioned above, check everything you can physically check. Could be a loose hose or a split. Could be a disconnected sensor.
When you have double checked everything you have the ability to tighten/connect yourself, you can eliminate things on our behalf and help us to give you better (hopefully) information.

I think its just being an Audi a3 140 diesel. Its a pretty heavy car after a punto.

First thing to check are the intercooler hoses which when leaking sound like a leaking exhaust manifold. follow the hoses and look and feel carefully for splits and bad joints. easy if you can get it up on a garage ramp to check under the turbo.
An older tdi with lots if miles can also suffer with gummed up turbo vanes which need cleaning.
Has the cam belt recently been changed ? Could be one tooth out and that would reduce power and revs.

Last edited:
As SootySport has already said , the big-bore intercooler hoses can easily spring a leak , the joints between them are sealed with rubber seals and held together with big C shaped clips.
The seals and clips can become tired over the years , I’ve replaced most of mine now.
Whilst the A3 isn’t a light car I’d never describe that sort of performance to be expected , even though mine is now re-mapped in stock form it was considerably nippier than a chipped 110 bhp A4 TDI Avant that it replaced.
Something is definitely wrong.