I want some growl

Bob R

Reaction score
Its an exhaust matter.

I have always preferred a bit of throatyness to my cars. The last one being a Mk5 R32 with non res Milltek. In a word.......Epic!

My S3 sounds pants and while I would like a full BCS system £1200 is a non starter.
My budget is £500 max so I've considered the usual Milltek, Cobra, Scorpion. YouTube clips don't impress at all. Even non res systems sound very tame.
What's wrong with these cars?
Is there such a system to suit my budget and sound desire?

Nope. 4 Pot, will never sound as good as a 6 pot imo.

If you want more noise, disconnect rear exhaust flap and fit a sports cat/or de cat downpipe.

4 pots can still sound good which is why I can't work out why the S3 sounds rubbish.
I had a VXR Nurburgring with Remus exhaust which sounded mint.
I've heard an awesome sounding Seat Cupra. Again 4 pot.

4 pots can still sound good which is why I can't work out why the S3 sounds rubbish.
I had a VXR Nurburgring with Remus exhaust which sounded mint.
I've heard an awesome sounding Seat Cupra. Again 4 pot.

Unfortunately for you the best sounding one is from BCS, the WRC powervalve would be what your after. They are expensive cars, just because they are becoming cheaper to buy doesn't mean parts are also getting any cheaper

As the above comments say, 4 pots on a turbo is never going to sound anything near a 6 potter. Have you tried the dog in the rear?
Failing that you need to find an S3 that makes the right noise for you and ask the owner which exhaust he has.

Reactions: kash_v
I shouldn't have mentioned the R32 as it's clouding my original question.
Either way what I gather is there isn't a mainstream exhaust manufacturer that have produced such an exhaust. Unless I go custom which I will look into.

Unfortunately for you the best sounding one is from BCS, the WRC powervalve would be what your after. They are expensive cars, just because they are becoming cheaper to buy doesn't mean parts are also getting any cheaper
Ha ha. Proper snobby reply that. Cool.

Very happy with the sound of my S3. Resonated Milltek with over-run fuelling mod on remap! Nice deep note, no drone, quiet when cruising but loud on WOT. I think the trouble with Audis vs Vauxhalls is that the sound deadening material in Audis kills most of the noise inside the car.

Very happy with the sound of my S3. Resonated Milltek with over-run fuelling mod on remap! Nice deep note, no drone, quiet when cruising but loud on WOT. I think the trouble with Audis vs Vauxhalls is that the sound deadening material in Audis kills most of the noise inside the car.
How does it compare in the flesh to YouTube clips ? Resonated tend to sound almost stock on the vids I have seen.

Everybody comments on my exhaust - it still sounds quiet to me, but outside it is very loud when on boost. And the pops and bangs it makes now sound epic! The non-res Milltek sounds tinny in comparison, but obviously it is louder all the time.

Everybody comments on my exhaust - it still sounds quiet to me, but outside it is very loud when on boost. And the pops and bangs it makes now sound epic! The non-res Milltek sounds tinny in comparison, but obviously it is louder all the time.
Glad you don't live near me!

I shouldn't have mentioned the R32 as it's clouding my original question.
Either way what I gather is there isn't a mainstream exhaust manufacturer that have produced such an exhaust. Unless I go custom which I will look into.
Where in the country are you? There is a company called demand engineering in Suffolk that can sort you out a longlife exhaust system 304 stainless with lifetime guarantee.

I bought a Milltek non res cat back system and fitted it today.
Sound is spot on, just what i wanted and so much better than i anticipated.
There is a nice deep note on start up which rises when revved. Under load it sounds awesome, very addictive.
Youtube vids dont do this system justice.