IDIOT! Dropped something in engine bay. Is it safe?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I went to top up my oil and couldn't open the seal on the oil bottle so grabbed the nearest thing with a sharp edge which was nail clippers - I didn't drop them in the engine bay - but they broke apart and the little hinge that holds the two parts together fell into the engine bay.

Unfortunately I have hurt my back so couldn't look properly and certainly couldn't get out the car. I moved the car from the petrol station about 5 mins to my place. No issues, noises etc.

What do I do? Is it safe to drive? It went down the front left hand side of the engine bay somewhere. Total idiot.

Just forget about it. If it was going to be an issue, it would have reared its ugly head by now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It is more than likely sitting on the belly plate and will just sit there for ever, or it might just rattle itself out.

The hinge will be tiny and I doubt worth worrying about. Besides, I'm not sure what you could do now anyway?!

Had AA come, was in the tray as said above and he got out. So all good.

If you think about it, it’s no more dangerous than having a small stone flick up from the road and go into the underside of your engine bay.

But it’s gone now. Did the AA guys seem amused by the request?

Probably the easiest call out he’ll have had in a good while haha

He was concerned I meant it went in the engine when I was doing the oil. Which wasn’t the case.

It’s metal so I imagine that could cause more damage than a stone; also the tray would stop stones getting into the engine bay surely?!

It’s metal so I imagine that could cause more damage than a stone; also the tray would stop stones getting into the engine bay surely?!
Some stones are harder than metals. And a stone can flick through the grill if you’re really unlucky :)