If Caught Speeding On Motorway?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Do they pull you up? Or is it just through the post like a camera?

Usually get a tug, but it was a while ago since it happened to me so not sure if they still work like that!

Pulled!

Just ask them if they calibrated their equipment before going on shift - 999/1000 times they won't have done, so the readings can't be presented in court if the calibration is put into question.

I'm sure I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know!

Oh, and mobile speed-guns MUST be on tripods or the same thing applies. So, if a plod points one at you and he's holding it in his hand ... it might as well be an ice-cream!

Maestro, upon what information are you drawing those findings from?

Okay thanks guys, so Ive not got much to worry about?

thats some useful information Maestro... Thanks mate! But how would you be able to prove that PC Plod was holding the gun when he caught you, and it wasnt on a Tripod, surely its his word against yours, and you know who the courts are going to believe!

Maestro, upon what information are you drawing those findings from?

What when where? Oh, naaa, I made it up!

Lol, only joking. Well, I got away with it court several years ago when I involved my solicitor - so initially the information came from him. I've since 'mentioned' it to police offices a few times when I was pulled for speeding. I remember one officer being very upset that I'd mentioned it - in fact he committed verbal assault which I found ironic, lol. But most take it with a wry smile and a cold dismissal. However, Q-James, I'm sure you'll be wanting more proof than that so ...
http://www.kent.police.uk/About Kent Police/policies/p/p04.html. The policy is National, not just Kent Police.

8. In-car speed detection devices

8.1. Only vehicles fitted with calibrated speedometers will be used to detect speed offences. Speeding offences will not be prosecuted where an uncalibrated speedometer is relied upon, unless the offence is accompanied by circumstances of exceptional danger to the public.

Calibrated speedometers must be tested weekly, over a measured distance, and before the completion of a tour of duty during which any speeding offence is detected. Speedometers can be checked using either of the following methods:

a) The time taken to travel along a certified measured distance using a certified stop watch.

b)
Against another type approved speed measuring device, NOT fitted to the vehicle e.g. laser equipment.

Test results will be recorded on the vehicles speedometer register (
Form 1411) and noted in the officers’ pocket book. Speedometer tests must be witnessed by two officers. Speedometer registers will be kept on area and must be available for production at court if required.

---------------------------------------

There ya go Q-J: I've just armed you with some powerful point-stopping information
- you're welcome:slap:.

Neutral said:
Thanks mate! But how would you be able to prove that PC Plod was holding the gun when he caught you, and it wasnt on a Tripod, surely its his word against yours, and you know who the courts are going to believe!

Well, it's a bit more complicated than "he said, she said" as the issue would be raised at the moment. The budgeting policy for the police forces is the same as the speed cameras: loads of flashing pillars (£4k each) but only a handful of camera units (£14k each) on a rotation in the area. West Sussex only has 12 cameras lol.
12!!!!!!! Similar mentality towards the speed-gun tripods: save money, don't buy them. There's a few but certainly not 1 for each speed-gun. I did hear a police officer say, and he may or may not have been a friend of mine (cough cough), that he'd never even seen a speed-gun tripod! Go firgure.

The operating instructions for a speed-gun state that for an accurate reading the gun must be fixed to the specified tripod.
And if anyone wants proof of that then they can google it.

Last edited:

Well, it's a bit more complicated than "he said, she said" as the issue would be raised at the moment. The budgeting policy for the police forces is the same as the speed cameras: loads of flashing pillars (£4k each) but only a handful of camera units (£14k each) on a rotation in the area. West Sussex only has 12 cameras lol. 12!!!!!!! Similar mentality towards the speed-gun tripods: save money, don't buy them. There's a few but certainly not 1 for each speed-gun. I did hear a police officer say, and he may or may not have been a friend of mine (cough cough), that he'd never even seen a speed-gun tripod! Go firgure.

The operating instructions for a speed-gun state that for an accurate reading the gun must be fixed to the specified tripod.
And if anyone wants proof of that then they can google it.

Thats the best bit of living in West Sussex mate - Our 60mph A-Roads - Like the A272, that's a great road for a blast :)

Thats the best bit of living in West Sussex mate - Our 60mph A-Roads - Like the A272, that's a great road for a blast :)

Nom Nom ... Yep, and the A29 Arundel to Guildford. Just been thinking about it though and yes, the A272 as you mentioned. Great fun in a car ... but on a bike ...? AWESOME!!!

Nom Nom ... Yep, and the A29 Arundel to Guildford. Just been thinking about it though and yes, the A272 as you mentioned. Great fun in a car ... but on a bike ...? AWESOME!!!

I'm getting a reputation for this.... but what the hell...

ThreadHijack-Car.jpg

The 272 get a bit naughty between Petworth (My Town) and Midhurst - That's a bikers graveyard... I'd love a bike around hear but... i value my life!

Sorry A3 Sport for the hijack! :asskicking:

Lol, Petworth, yeah, "Snarl n Slow Down Town". Spoils the 272 lol. Though my Arundel isn't much better.

Me and my biking fraternity love the A272 - we're cruisers, not race-bikes, so no widow-making shenanigans with us.