If only I didn't have to have a hatchback....

I think the GT looks a bit dated now.

The 159 & Brera look stunning

I was once told off for commenting that the Alfa's were not value for money... which I still believe they are not, but since then I have come to terms with the fact that they are just expensive. And the only Alfa I would put up with the price tag for is the Brera. I think that is a beautiful car, I really do.

I still think the GT outdoes the Brera, lookswise.
The blackline is stunning.
Been out for a while though.
My skint, Alfa-loving, mate has been drooling over a GT blackline for at least 6 months.

H1_8ENF said:
I was once told off for commenting that the Alfa's were not value for money... which I still believe they are not, but since then I have come to terms with the fact that they are just expensive. And the only Alfa I would put up with the price tag for is the Brera. I think that is a beautiful car, I really do.

Classify "not value for money".
They are cheaper than the competition, and better equipped.
They might not hold their value as well as others, but you can often get a hefty discount in the first place.
In less monetary terms, they are better to look at than the competition, and often better to drive.
They also offer exclusivity.
I cam VERY close to a stunningly lovely 159ti, but decided on the D3 instead.
Very close run thing, with only little things deciding it, as follows.

1/ Alfa dealer 90 miles away, as opposed to 7 miles for BMW.
2/ D3 has 25 bhp more than the Alfa.
3/ I fancied RWD for a change.

That was it.
No pre-conceived nonsense about lack of build quality, reliability blablabla.

I've never had the guts to buy an Alfa although I think they are simply stunning to look at. The wife had a 156 as a company car approx 6/7 yrs ago, it looked beautiful but unfortunately it was a pool car and may have been abused because bits kept dropping off it, it never broke down mechanically though.

Most reports I've read of late tend to state they are not as good dynamically as expected, if the residuals firmed up I probably consider one in the future as they do offer good value/kit for the money.

Spin140 said:
Most reports I've read of late tend to state they are not as good dynamically as expected, if the residuals firmed up I probably consider one in the future as they do offer good value/kit for the money.

There's no denying the 159 isn't as 'direct' as a 156, but it's still right up there with the 3 series and A3/A4, easy.

I don't think they're stunning, I think Alfas are sh!te and the interior looks plastic like my old punto. You can't knock a german ride :icon_thumright: German's for build quality, japanese for reliability.

N8KOW said:
I don't think they're stunning,de :icon_thumright:

If you don't think the 159ti looks stunning, you're dead inside.
Even I concede it's far better looking than the car I've ordered!

159.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

You doesn't look stunning, it looks horrible, where did it get the inspiration from for the silver wing mirrors :think: hmmmmmm. It's not stunning like an RS4 bowfer or an M3 those are stunning cars, not an alfa romeo! My opinion

N8KOW said:
You doesn't look stunning, it looks horrible, where did it get the inspiration from for the silver wing mirrors :think: hmmmmmm. It's not stunning like an RS4 bowfer or an M3 those are stunning cars, not an alfa romeo! My opinion

That's a stupid argument.
They're not even close, moneywise.
Alfa 159ti is around £25K.
RS4 and M3 are double that.
Now behave yourself and go find another £25k four door saloon that looks anything like as good as the 159Ti.

By value for money I am referring to the performance of the car in comparisons to others that are out there in the same price range. e.g 0-62 Brera = 6.8, compared to TT = 5.9 (despite having 9 more hp) and even the 350Z = 5.7.

And with regards to pre-concieved ideas about reliability, for the first 3 years of ownership it should never be an issue anyway. But I must disagree about the build quality. I much prefer the build quality of an audi over any others and would be happy to pay a little extra to get that.

What equipment do you get in an alfa that you dont get in another car of it's class as standard? Because as far as I can see (and I may well be wrong) the majority of specs accross the board seem to be fairly similar. After that Alfa's additional extars can cost up to twice as much as in comptitor manufacturers. That is what makes me think twice about buying them. I would agree that 90 miles is a bit far to visit an Alfa dealership but if I really wanted one I'd visit and then have one delivered. Plus I think it's interesting that what you've moved to is a BMW, which is renouned for delivering excellent reliability and strong build quality, staggering performance in a diesel car... none of which are really offered by Alfa, offered to a lesser extent maybe - but not the same.

Also I genuinely don't know what exclusivity they offer? They won't allow two cars to be bought fromt the same postcode? Street?

Referring to their appearance is a matter of personal taste - not necesarily one that relates to value for money.

But hey this is just my opinion. My ideas surrounding value for money is based, partially, on an air of caution towards their build quality but mostly on their comaprable performance.

N8KOW said:
Thats like saying an RS4 and M3 are not as stunning as an F430 or DB9!!

bowfer said:
That's a stupid argument.
They're not even close, moneywise.
Alfa 159ti is around £25K.
RS4 and M3 are double that.
Now behave yourself and go find another £25k four door saloon that looks anything like as good as the 159Ti.

We're talking about looks not price :rtfm: , you are a moany BA57ARD!!! :scared2:

N8KOW said:
We're talking about looks not price:

But you might as well compare a Fiesta with a DB9.
It's stupid.
I don't think my TV looks as good as a Loewe, but it's a moot point when I can't afford a ****** Loewe!

H1_8ENF said:
Plus I think it's interesting that what you've moved to is a BMW, which is renouned for delivering excellent reliability and strong build quality, staggering performance in a diesel car... none of which are really offered by Alfa, offered to a lesser extent maybe - but not the same.

A fair point, but Alfa aren't as far away as you think.
As for seeking BMW build quality, according to many on here they are chucked together and I'm being a fool to expect otherwise...
You can't win really.
Honestly, I'm not lying, the 159 is a VERY worthy competitor to BMW and Audi.
Go drive one.

PS, I don't know where you're getting the "extras are expensive" thing from, coz it's nonsense.
For example, the Alfa Bose upgrade is the same dosh as Audi.
Same with other extras.

Agree, that BMW isnt as far ahead as it once was, but its still fairly rock sure.

I was looking at the price of sat nav from Alfa to Audi. Alfa Brera £1400, Audi TT £650. That's £750 worth of non "nonsense". A Bose upgrade would be the same. 'Bose' is an external add-on, the units cost the same if they are being sold to Ford as they would be sold to Aston Martin. It's the labour time that varies.

Well I'm glad we can all agree we don't like Fiestas. Not really where the conversation started... but hey it's moving us forward I suppose.

I looked around and sat in 159s on several occasions before I ordered the A3. I thought they looked really good. Unfortunately they only look good from the front in the showroom. Once you screw the number plate to the front that wrecks the appearance completely.

Twizzler said:
I looked around and sat in 159s on several occasions before I ordered the A3. I thought they looked really good. Unfortunately they only look good from the front in the showroom.

You're right, I think they look distinctly average from the back, which is why I prefer the Brera.

Twizzler said:
Once you screw the number plate to the front that wrecks the appearance completely.

I wouldn't say it wrecks it.
I used to get the "numberplate looks stupid" comment from lots of people, when I had my 156, but when you looked at the sort of cars they were driving, it just made me laugh.
It was like someone in Marks and Spencers' slip-ons telling you your Patrick Cox shoes looked crap.

H1_8ENF said:
You're right, I think they look distinctly average from the back, which is why I prefer the Brera.

Again, I don't agree.
I love the rear view of the 159.
It looks so low and wide, lovely.
No offence, I drive one myself, but how anyone with an A3 can use the word 'average' to describe a 159 is beyond me...

Has anyone ever described you as argumentative? lol

I think you will find that I said that the 159 is a very good looking car but I thought the back could be made better.

And 3.2 A3 is understated... but I'm quite happy to accept there are more aesthetically pleasing cars on the market. I like what Audi has offered in this car. It doesn't have to shout look at me, because by the time people have begun to say "that car is average" I have passed them, and am enjoying a drink...

N8KOW said:
Bowfer. Let it go. You like alfas, I don't. Get over it.

From daft comparisons to the moral high ground.
Quite some leap there...
Ho hum.

Good old Bowfer go for it mate :)

Gotta agree though Alfa's are beautiful, what other family saloon looks as good as the 159 for less than £30K ?

Spin140 said:
Gotta agree though Alfa's are beautiful, what other family saloon looks as good as the 159 for less than £30K ?

Given that the RS4 looks like any old S-line, I'm guessing N8KOW will say one of them...

Let battle commence.

N8KOW said:
Bowfer, you are a very petty and arguementative person, by the way how old are you?

Petty?
Me?
It's argumentative, by the way...

Doesn't look like you can order any extras, you get the car "off the peg" so to speak.

As a current Alfa owner and, until yesterday, never having driven an Audi (S3), I think that I should say something here before this thread decends into a typical Alfa Forum Bitch session. (What is it about Alfa's that have this effect on people??)

I will have had my Alfa for 3 years in April - a 147GTA. I was not silly enough to buy it new or pay what the dealer wanted for it as an ex-demo. You have to expect lead-balloon deprecation when you buy and therefore, have to make sure that you are happy with that and get the absolute best price you can. I would agree that Alfas are probably a little overpriced new. The used car trade knows this which affects residuals.

With regard to reliability, in 44000 miles, I have only ever had one problem with it - the clutch slave cylinder seals failed at about 12000 miles - it was still driveable though.

By way of a comparison betwen Alfa and Audi, the over-riding impression after yesterday is that Audi (VAG) is a very rich corporation and therefore has massive R&D resources to put into developing the car as a whole. The Audi felt much better resolved - both on the interior and mechanically.

Don't get me started on Dealers - I was hoping that the Audi experience would be a class above Alfa - so far, not so good!

Interestingly, from my visits to China, Alfa's are held in higher regard than all of the German manufacturers....... :faint:

Personally I think the Alfa's look pure sh!te from inside and out. Agreed you cant really compare one to an S3, RS4, M3 etc because of the price difference and superior build quality, but you could easily compare it to the following (all being the new shape)

Astra VXR
Corsa VXR ;-)
Ford Focus
Ford Mondeo

I'd take ANY of those above over an Alfa. In my opinion these are far better looking cars of similar or less value