ignition dead

matchu666

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'm having problems with my 2.0tdi a6. When i put my key into the barrel there isn't the usual sound of steering lock disengaging, no ignition lights and won't even turn over. Central locking, lights and mmi are all still working. Had battery checked and that's ok.
I'm looking for an auto electrician in the leicester area if possible that knows Audi. Everyone i ring here just want to plug diagnostic in, but no ignition power so it's not possible. Was going for someone with old school knowledge of electrics without the computer need.
Any help gratefully accepted.

I’m no expert but sounds like it could be a fuse. Try checking the starter relay.

Also, seems to me that if you still have power, a code reader should still work to help diagnose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t a code reader need the ignition to be on though. That switches the power on at the obd socket.

Doesn’t a code reader need the ignition to be on though. That switches the power on at the obd socket.

Yes but he’s stating that the MMI powers on so he must have power to the switch but I absolutely could be wrong.

I’d also check for the obvious...loose battery cables...etc

Is this an intermittent problem or did it just come out of the blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the a6 the key completed the circuit to the mini, but turning the key then completes the ignition circuit.

It's an ignition barrel fault quite common on the A6.