Ignitron ECU

Fitted oil inter cooler today and new plugs.
Plug 1 was faulty
After a 35 minute drive home, the oil pressure was 18 psi @ 89 degrees
So similar to water temp.

Fitted oil inter cooler today and new plugs.
Plug 1 was faulty
After a 35 minute drive home, the oil pressure was 18 psi @ 89 degrees
So similar to water temp.
One of the new plugs was faulty? Or you fitted new plugs because one was faulty. What plugs are you using?.
Oil pressure around 1.2-1.5 bar is good at idle. Tweaking the idle speed up a little can increase oil pressure a few tenths of a bar. I find oil temp usually a few degrees over water temp when the engine is fully warmed up.

plug 1 had lost 1/2 of it's ceramic isolation, so thought that was problem solved.
I was overtaking today when power just dropped and no EML came on. but I knew something major was wrong.
Checked oil pressure as you do, then MAP, all good but engine trying but not happy.
Pulled over and checked logs. only knocks??
All boost lines were on and secure.
Let engine idle and used a screw driver to lift a coil pack until I could hear it short to the body.
Number 3 removed made 0% difference.
Can Ignitron not detect a fault on a coil pack or Plug.
Is this a hardware version issue or just a software upgrade that can be implemented?

4 Wire Ignition Coil Diagram

When it comes to ignition coils, they come in many variations. For instance, you can find 2-wire, 3-wire, or 4-wire ignition coils in different vehicle models. In this article, I’ll talk about the 4-wire ignition coil. So, why is a 4-wire ignition coil so special? Let’s find out.

4-wire ignition coil pins
Video | a to z car system

For starters, a 4-wire ignition coil comes with four pins. Examine the above image for the coil pack wiring diagram.

• 12V pin
  • 5V IGT pin (Reference voltage)
  • IGF pin
  • Ground pin

12V pin comes from the ignition switch. The battery sends a 12V signal to the ignition coil through the ignition switch.

5V IGT pin act as the reference voltage for the 4-wire ignition coil. This pin connects with the ECU, and the ECU sends a 5V trigger signal to the ignition coil through this pin. When the ignition coil receives this trigger signal, it fires up the coil.

Quick Tip: This 5V reference voltage is useful for testing ignition coils.

IGF pin sends a signal to the ECU. This signal is a confirmation of a properly working ignition coil. The ECU only continues to operate after receiving this signal. When the ECU does not detect the IGF signal, it sends code 14 and stops the engine.

Last edited:
Car is running so well, When I get some dry weather I will post a 3rd gear log for much valued input from the experianced users of this site.
I am running GT25-550 at 300kPa max boost which is very manageable as the ECU maps really gives so much control that it makes it easy for the wife to drive.
My 1st turbo as above blow up as it was not plumbed in correctly. (oops)
I am thinking about putting a speed sensor on the turbo so that I can up the boost a bit more on a selected map, with less chance of blowing it up.
Can this be wired into the Ignitron to keep the turbo within an acceptable RPM range?
Many thanks

Car is running so well, When I get some dry weather I will post a 3rd gear log for much valued input from the experianced users of this site.
I am running GT25-550 at 300kPa max boost which is very manageable as the ECU maps really gives so much control that it makes it easy for the wife to drive.
I am thinking about putting a speed sensor on the turbo so that I can up the boost a bit more on a selected map, with less chance of blowing it up.
Can this be wired into the Ignitron to keep the turbo within an acceptable RPM range?
Many thanks
I’m assuming you mean a G25-550 Garrett genuine turbo or is it a variant of the Garrett turbo? Also 2 bar is the high end for those turbos, I personally wouldn’t want to be attempting higher than that really, unless of course your running on higher octane fuel or ethanol.

You can wire in a speed sensor into Ignitron for more protection yeah :)

Many thanks
A speed sensor is a good thing to have if you are looking to push the limits of the turbo. The G series range of turbos seem quite sensitive to overspeeding and Garret themselves make a big thing about not going over the design RPM.
Measuring the speed isn't an issue I have a speed sensor on my G25-660 . It doesn't put the car into limp or anything if the speed exceeds a certain level it's used as a tuning aid . Once you have measured the turbo speed at a certain RPM and boost level it will be pretty close to that all the time. One thing that does affect turbo speed is altitude, If you increase the altitude by several thousand feet the turbo won't thank you .
This is the calibration map for the Garrett speed sensor . I bought mine from Turbozentrum 781328-0004

Having just picked up Ignitron and a Garrett G25-550 turbo only yesterday this thread is going to be very valuable.
In regards of the speed sensor mentioned above, where would that wire into?

Also is anyone on here running Ignitron with a colourMFA cluster display?

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rainbird
Having just picked up Ignitron and a Garrett G25-550 turbo only yesterday this thread is going to be very valuable.

The output of the sensor is a digital frequency output so needs to goto one of those inputs on the ECU. I used pin 39, on my car the turbo speed sensor is user input 2.

You are correct, g25-550. Got all my parts for mod from Badger5, so all are original parts.
I see Badger5 has put them up for sale with the correct leads after my inquiry.
https://badger5.co.uk/ecu-management/garrett-speed-sensor-g-series

Spoke too soon, my gearbox blow on the way home :(
Is there a link to advise me as to what would be a good replacement box.
Many thanks

Reactions: S3AMJ
You are correct, g25-550. Got all my parts for mod from Badger5, so all are original parts.
I see Badger5 has put them up for sale with the correct leads after my inquiry.
https://badger5.co.uk/ecu-management/garrett-speed-sensor-g-series

Spoke too soon, my gearbox blow on the way home :(
Is there a link to advise me as to what would be a good replacement box.
Many thanks
Unfortunately the stock box has a few weak points that will be found out sooner rather than later once you get over 500Nm. Typically the 4th gear shreds. Two ways of attacking this replace the stock box with another stock one. They are cheap enough and some people just swap boxes out. Not the best idea so you could buy another stock box and strengthen the parts that break, Typically with a 4th gear support and while you have the gearbox apart drill out the rivets on the gear selectors that fail and replace with bolts. This works for a lot of people.

Reactions: Brad1011

I’m running Ignitron with ColorMFA, reads and does everything as expected. Just don’t expect it to read fault codes for the ECU though obviously. It’s a good bit of kit, launch control is annoying though on colormfa because you can’t adjust it to show what you want or disable it.

Reactions: Thaiwronghorse