I'm Back - 2009 A3 S-Line SB BE 1.8TFSI

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.reallymeansounds.com
Been a year or more since I was last on ASN and a few things have happened since - for some of the oldies you may remember my previous cars:

2004 A3 2.0TDI

boydie_audi_a3.jpg

2007 S3 Revo 2+

S31

2009 S4 Avant

S41

I sold the Avant after 4 months of ownership for a 2010 Scirocco R

SCIROCCO4

And that is what I am currently driving.

My wife has been driving a 2010 Nissan Micra for the last 6 years and has been itching to change recently - thankfully my love for Audi rubbed off on her and she set me the task of finding her something suitable

Criteria was Sportback, petrol and the usual options so I started looking.

Ideally I wanted her in a 1.8T as the 1.6NA is crap, the 1.4T give issues and TDI's there was no point. I had lined up a 2.0T in deep sea blue to go view but then this 1.8T SB BE popped up.

It has been "murdered out" by the previous owner but all the boxes are ticked for what she wanted. The car is solid and just needs a good bit of TLC and paint restored to better than factory :)

A3

The dealer has agreed to replace the badges back to chrome and wheels fully refurbed back to OEM spec. Now the hunt starts for OEM bits and pieces to retro fit - my favourite so I will be back on here more often and hopefully catch up with a few of you!

Glad that my wife will now be in a more sturdy and powerful car but the Micra has served her well over the years!

Thanks

Reactions: S., Jake 61 and leshkin
Rough spec of the car is as follows (would like to contact Audi for an official list:

Genuine Black Edition
Roof Rails
Factory Tints
18" Alloys
FBMFSW
Bose
Concert 2 (want to upgrade to RNSE)
Aux-in
Parking sensors
Half leather
Arm rest
DRL

So I have been out of touch lately with retro fits since I sold my S3 in 2014 so what are the main/easy things to do to the 2009 A3's these days?

• I want to get a semi rigid/rigid boot liner for the dog and potentially a guard
  • RNSE as stated above and install bluetooth
  • Cruise control
  • Interior light pack on the roof

Anything else?

Good to have you back!

At least its not been fully murdered.

And for your wife since she likes Nissans.... Juke GTR

Reactions: S.
Nice car @Boydie . Good to see you back. :) x

Reactions: S3Alex
Reactions: Sandra and S.
That pic just reminds me how much I love black roof rails on A3's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boydie
Foot well lights front and back with red LEDs. Makes a huge difference to the interior. Also remove ashtray if it's in and put the led light in the cubby hole

So a bit of an update since we have bought it - Noticed when cleaning it last week it was missing some trim on the B pillar

Quick call round to Audi Parts with the reg number, some searching on their database and we found the part, expensive at £1.70 lol

So this is the area needing covered - slots in at the top and is held in place below

IMG 5678

IMG 5680

IMG 5681

Simple little replacement that makes the difference IMO! I think in 2010 or maybe 2011 the A3 had the option of came standard with gloss black b-pillars. Hers are slightly stained for what ever reason so I will have to research them and see about fitting them.

Managed to win a bid on eBay for a bluetooth module and wiring so thats the next project, just need a microphone now for the car.

Was away for the weekend there in Madrid and was a perfect opportunity to leave the car off to @big_pete for paint correction.

I have had CQuartz/Gtechnic on my last 3 cars and the finish has been perfect. My Scirocco was done in September 2015 and to this day it still beads like crazy when water hits it and not a single swirl or marr on the paint :cool: - a well worth while investment particularly on a black car and will make my job of cleaning it a hell of a lot easier.

FB IMG 1464775708307

FB IMG 1464775712640

When we bought the car the badges were black so I asked the dealer to replace them which they did. I asked them to leave the rear off as I knew I was going to PMG Autocare in Belfast - having the rear badge back on makes a huge difference but think it needs de-rear wipered.

A32

Future plans now are:

- RNSE
- Reg plate - have my eye on an AEZ plate but will see
- Possibly S3 brushed mirrors to break up the black
- I have 8mm spacers in the garage so will see what they look like on
- Maybe add cruise but tbh I doubt she would use it
- S3 pedals if a decently priced set comes up online

Reactions: leshkin and S.
The gloss black b pillar trims from SB black optic range are a good upgrade i fitted them to my 2006 SB, theres a polish seller on ebay that sells the pedals cheap, cheaper than TPS lol

The gloss black b pillar trims from SB black optic range are a good upgrade i fitted them to my 2006 SB, theres a polish seller on ebay that sells the pedals cheap, cheaper than TPS lol

How much are the gloss b pillars mate?

Yeah I would like to know too - also did you replace the triangle one thats on the rear door as well?

If you have the details of the pedal seller that would be great too

Thanks and for the comments! :)

Latest for my wife's A3

Got her registration transferred over and looks so much better than the mainland plate - sorry not sorry!

Picked up a 2014 RNSE unit with gloss black surround which will tie in very nicely with her black edition trim! Hope to get this installed along with the bluetooth module later this week!

Other than that, just keep it clean and drive on!

RNSE

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401121750229

Auto pedals, I've bought that set and is fitted to my 06, no problems whatsoever.
Manual pedals further down the page for the same price I think!

Easy 15 minute mod to the A3 yesterday - as most of you know the rear wiper can sag or get stuck in the 12pm position. This really does grind my gears as it can do damage to the paint and just shows lack of interest to the car or care!

Anyway, read on here the 8V rear wiper fits perfectly and looks a hell of a lot better so....

IMG 6740

IMG 6739

Reactions: S.
That's what they come with, I have the Q5 arm and blade on mine :)

Never seen an arm on an Audi with 1/2 of it uncovered. Must mean most have been replaced with the covered version, I guess.

Yeah 100% OEM the original wiper arm, had a look around a few A3's in the car park yesterday as you had me concerned lol

Perfect example here I spotted yesterday of failed wiper:

Rear wiper

RNSE now installed to the car - had a bit of an issue installing the bluetooth module. Couldn't get it to communicate with the RNSE but think its the wrong module for the car :( back to the drawing board

IMG 7183

The climate control with it's red lighting is letting the interior down now :sm4:. Next mod should be the Q3 CC unit with it's white lighting.

ps. I like spending other peoples money.

Reactions: Boydie and S.
Almost, you need to sand off a couple off mm. from the sides or swap over the display. There are a couple of threads about it if you search q3 climate.

Got a couple of niggles sorted with the A3 over the last few weeks.

Had a coolant pump replaced under warranty so that also included a water pump - win win.

Rear springs were replaced as they had cracked - common fault so no plans as yet to lower the car.

The bluetooth was an issue and it was narrowed down to the wrong module so I purchased a new one and had it installed on Friday past. Now all fully functional.

Also had cruise control installed. A relatively simple install for a lot of gain. Slowly improving the spec list on her car!

IMG 0519

Steering wheel off
Lower cowl off
Remove module
Remove stalk
Repeat in reverse with new shapes cowl
Tell the car it has cruise via VCDS
Test :)

- Still on the hunt for the S3 mirrors
- Sourced the part number for interior reading light so will get a quote next week
- S3 pedals are on the wish list
- Potentially retrofit heated seats - can pick up an convenience module for £50 so just need the looms and elements
- You can retrofit the auto dimming rear mirror which I miss when driving this car so will keep an eye out for that too

Since I got my 8V S3, progress on my wifes A3 has been slow but getting there

Managed to finally get my hands on a set of pedals after being scammed on here by a scumbag member - easily fitted, as usual the accelerator takes a bit of wiggling to release:

IMG 1839

IMG 1840

Makes a nice difference to the cabin and ties in nicely with the other aluminium parts of the interior.

Latest update was its MOT, was a hassle with wrong appointments made both by my wife and a supervisor in the MOT centre but we got there in the end and it passed with flying colours.

Car needed new brakes and tyres prior to MOT so got some decent Bridgestones put on the car as it had cheap dealer tyres on the front and dead bridgestones on the back - car handles so much better now with the new tyres and even looks better aesthetically.

Here is to another year of driving (H)

IMG 3540

Next plans are to have the car lightly machined polished - it has a ceramic coating on but I had an incident with fallout remover prior to applying sealant which has left some parts of the car stained. While it is with them I might ask their dent guy to call out and asses the car as it has a few from over the years.

Next up will be wheel refurb - they have been done several times - i requested colour change when it was bought a year ago then the dealer damaged them removing the wheels so I had them do them again. Basically, its paint on paint on paint - done on the cheap so now the wheels are flaking, therefore its time to get them done properly.

Would love to source extended leather pack, they are available on BKS website but the price for them is extortionate!!