I'm going rusty

Sticks

Reaction score
892ca179.jpg

54fbcd2b.jpg

Been into Audi today and they recon it's not there problem but after a bit of banter their gonna sort it , also has anyone got problems with stain marks on the wing mirror covers ? Audi said due to thefts of the older shiney type of chrome mirror covers they changed them to a newer cheaper material which I think is porous as I've tryed everything to get them clean !!!

How long did it take for them to go bad like that? Mine is 6 weeks old now and not seeing this. I might silver hammerite them before this happens!

Brake disc hubs\flanges normally rust! it's a result of the heat generated when braking and something that'll usually return, unless Very High Temperature paint is used.

You did well to get them to 'sort it'. :salute:

Well I basically said I've got cars of 10+ years old that havnt rusted up on hubs and being a new car I shouldn't have it, Audi could of used a protective coat to stop this happening in the first place, I noticed it after about 6 weeks'ish of ownership , I think Audi plan on using Hammerite I would do it myself but why should I , seems crazy getting the paint out to a 4 month old car MADNESS!!!

Anyone got like stain marks on their silver mirror covers?

Just checked mine and yes, mine is only an S3 though, not sure if they are the same?

Rusty brake discs: use POR15 from Frost.

Having had Audis before I made sure to paint both my front and rear brake disc hubs and vents as soon as I got my RS3 home, no problem at all now.

POR15 rust prevention paint | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

PS: and don't forget to Copperslip the front brake pads to resolve low speed brake squeal that will appear around 1000 miles, or so.

Rust on the hubs, brakes and disc is normal for any ages car and parts.

I would not worry about it.
I'm shocked Audi is fixing it really.

As said this issue is vast across all brands now. Cutting costs and corners. I've painted previous hubs. I complained when mine was new. Oh and the wing mirrors are poor but usually just ok with a QD wipe down.

I've never had a car that doesn't eventually stain / have surface rust on the disc centres and hubs. It says something about the Audi dealer that they have been good enough to "sort it". I wonder if they'd sort out stone chips? :eyebrows:

Stone chips are totally different, guys I think your mad if you think Audi isn't responsible , I've never had rust anywhere on previous bmws and still no rust after 3 + years ,also on a 1997 mk3 golf vr6 that I stll have doesn't have it, if they use poor cheap material I should pay less too but I didn't , don't be shy just ask .anything made should be to a standard and fit for purpose and after 3 months I shouldnt be getting the paint pot out on 40k's worth of kit no way !!!

Just checked mrs mini cooper s 2006 and no rusty rears there too

We got a range of A4s from B5 (mind) right up to a new B8 in work and others from different makers.

I'll take a ride round tomorrow and see what I can find.

It's not a manufacturing defect therefore its not a warranty item nor will it be covered under bodywork warranty. It's just a protection layer of paint put on discs to stop them rusting in transit on the pad surface contact areas. Most brands are like this and I find it hard for people to say they have old cars that don't have this. It's one of the worst effected areas by the elements and heat.

It's not a manufacturing defect therefore its not a warranty item nor will it be covered under bodywork warranty. It's just a protection layer of paint put on discs to stop them rusting in transit on the pad surface contact areas. Most brands are like this and I find it hard for people to say they have old cars that don't have this. It's one of the worst effected areas by the elements and heat.

Think you misread , not discs I'm talkin about the hubs , 2 different things

b5d05bd8.jpg

2006 mini never been rubbed down nor painted with 65k more than my rs3 and you can just about see very minimal surface but nothing and if mine was like that I wouldn't have complained ,

The brakes on the Mini have probably never seen real abuse for any extended period ...not saying your mrs. doesn't give it some welly from time to time, but if she drives anything like mine drives her Polo, it's not really a fair comparison. :)

I have to take my wife's car out once a month or so to 'blow the cobwebs out' of it.

PLEASE you guys, just use POR15.

If I knew, or the posting permission guys would allow me, I'd post a picture of my own 2300mile RS3 brake discs (tsk).

However, as well as the rusty brown stained brake disc hubs/vents, the front suspension hub (immediately behind those wonderful front brake disc) WILL also go a nice rusty brown (I think mne was rusty when I collected the car), and this completely destroys the image of the front disc within the wheel. Again, POR15 does the trick.

elansprint@aol.com if you want a photo....

PLEASE you guys, just use POR15.

If I knew, or the posting permission guys would allow me, I'd post a picture of my own 2300mile RS3 brake discs (tsk).

However, as well as the rusty brown stained brake disc hubs/vents, the front suspension hub (immediately behind those wonderful front brake disc) WILL also go a nice rusty brown (I think mne was rusty when I collected the car), and this completely destroys the image of the front disc within the wheel. Again, POR15 does the trick.

elansprint@aol.com if you want a photo....

Why can't you post pics?

Upload to photobucket, copy link, paste link, done.

What controversy my rusty hubs have caused i will think first in future so not to upset lol, I havnt even started on the wing mirror covers yet, poor materials as Audi have already admitted , my mrs rinses out her cooper s and it's been out in the elements for 6 years, anyway they will be done 'sorted' on Monday via Audi and so will the mirror covers.

Case closed super sleuths .

Thanks for all the constructive replies

What controversy my rusty hubs have caused i will think first in future so not to upset lol, I havnt even started on the wing mirror covers yet, poor materials as Audi have already admitted , my mrs rinses out her cooper s and it's been out in the elements for 6 years, anyway they will be done 'sorted' on Monday via Audi and so will the mirror covers.

Case closed super sleuths .

Thanks for all the constructive replies

Don't think.
Just post what you want.

I like posts like this.
I might have learnt something or something might have learnt, if nothing else we all get to talk and share our views on items.

There are no stupid questions.
I'm the guy that asks Submarine captains if you can barrel roll a sub. lol

I've read reports of the new Audis not being that good.
Mainly from the B8 boys.

:yes: @ super sleuths.

As said, any q's a good q, and it's good to discuss these minor issues otherwise we wouldn't learn.

lol. just watching Wheeler Dealers on Discovery! Ed China just removed the Wheel from a y2k BMW M5 ...not a spot of rust on the brake disc. :o.k:

Think from this we can now assume if you don't want rusty discs buy a BMW

Im with you Sticks this is just so poor for a brand new 45k car.
IMAG0307-1.jpg

bare aluminium tends to tarnish/oxidise like that im afraid. its one of those annoying constants in life...... kinda like gravity.
you can hardly complain to audi about gravity?

also thats not the hub thats going rusty, its the brake disc. the hub is behind the brake disc.
as im sure you know brakes are consumable parts of the car (a service item if you like) hardly worth painting and im sure thats audis opinion too.
por15 paint is good but expencive.

your sock draw must be very well organised first before you start painting brake discs!!

It's the front hub that's rusty Murran. Go check out a brand new car (several at Stafford Audi) and you'll find that they ALL have rusty hubs. But don't let this put anyone off having an RS3 as it really is a superb motor car with brilliantlly effective brakes. I just used POR15 and that's now resolved all of these cosmetic issues to my own likeing.

the hub is behind the brake disc. its pressed into the wheel bearing. the brake disc..........

you know what?
i cant be bothered to expain how anal it is to want new brake discs out of audi cus theres a bit of surface rust on a non working surface of a consumable part of the car.

if i was audi id laugh at you.

i dont want new discs off audi , i was under the illusion that the rusty bit i told audi i didnt like was part of the hub assembly only because thats what audi called it , i know having surface rust on discs is life but thats not the issue and never was , the rusty part is between the alloy and the disk as in the 1st pic on this thread, i know my car isnt gonna fall apart because of this but it lets the car down cosmetically and why should i have it on my 4 month old rs3 when cars years older dont FACT,

there was a 2010 s3 in the car park other day and i checked and there was not abit of rust on the part which only makes me think my car maybe didnt get the protective coating at the factory or materials used by audi are now of a poorer quality,i have checked so many cars of late and im struggling to find any with the rust i have from high performance to run arounds

i just want my rs3 to look its best and not having some cack on it letting it down especially if it can be perfect and rust free like all other cars ive been seeing ,i mean what do the other car companys put into their metal magic or somthing , surely its a no brainer and could have been avoided by audi by spending the extra pence,

have all new audis got the same rust thing going on compared to the older 2 year ones ? if so it proves a point audi have caused this by changing the metal purity or coating agents .

lol. just watching Wheeler Dealers on Discovery! Ed China just removed the Wheel from a y2k BMW M5 ...not a spot of rust on the brake disc. :o.k:

I watched that one as well what a tidy motor and a bargain as well. Why can't i find/haggle like Mike can.

Are you suggesting that BMW use better materials......

I have just noticed the exact same thing on my 6 week old S3. If you say audi will sort it im heading down there this week. As you say not mechnical problem but does spoil look of car!!!!

Well sorry to disappoint you on the BMW front but my E90 had the same issue. I used Silver Hammerite and it was sorted.

Had the same with my A3 and again painted them and no problems afterwards.

There is a recognised fix that Audi get time to carry out on this issue. It's 1 and a half hours to prep and paint the disc hub.

my dads 2009 a6 is the same, he pointed it out when it went for servicing last year,they painted it but iut has since come back

you have to paint them when they are new, i did my s2000 ones before i put them on the car, they have stayed mint

paint them yourself if it bothers you.
audi must have cut back on the anti corrosion paint on the brake disc bell (which is the bit you can see thats going rusty).
apologies for this being a bmw picture.....
RealOEM.com   BMW E90 325i Front Spring strut/Carrier/Wheel bearing
^^^^^^ no.5 on here is technically the hub. the brake disc goes over it and gets sandwiched between the wheel when the wheel nuts are tightened up.

being that brake discs and suspension components are not covered by theyre body work rust warrenty.... audi have obviously thought why bother putting expencive paint on them.

if it bothers you then buy wire wheel for your drill, some 320 grip sand paper, a rattle can of silver smooth hammerrite and some 2 inch masking tape.
whip the wheel off, get your wire wheel on the drill and attack the rust, give it a sand up. mask off as much of the disc working surface as you can and the brake caliper too, paint what you can.... turn the disc if you need to to paint the rest of the brake disc bell.

1 down 3 to go! and you'll never have to see them going rusty again.

make sure youve tightened up the wheel nuts and recheck them after a quick drive!

Strange that as my last e93 m3 didn't suffer from it not my previous e46 m3,

Well peeps the car went in today to Audi and no they didnt laugh at me they were more than happy to 'sort' this out , the engineer came out and and totally agreed they should not have rusted like this in patches and his opinion was like mine that Audi had not coated them properly and in his words "it lets the car down", also they are more than happy to do the wing mirror covers all under warranty .

I Should have the car back tomorrow at some point and I will give you an update

Well done Audi hats off!!
Much love

madness that theyre changing them for that bit of rust.
esp. when people are being left by audi to forkout 1000's when they're 2.0l tdi "blb" balance shaft/oil pump system self destructs due to the design not being suitable for purpose.